5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic resource
David Starkey is the sort of man who divides opinion because of his opinions. I suppose far better that than something else.

Published on 29 Aug 2008 by J. Hutchings

1.0 out of 5 stars Narrow Mind
I am amazed at the glowing tributes paid to Mr Starkey and his collection. This is a man whose ignorance and narrow mind has been in evidence for some considerable time. Before coming across it again in his television history programmes I had heard many examples of his stupidity on Radio 4's The Moral Maze..heard enough indeed to stop listening after a while due to the...
Published on 17 Mar 2012 by David Sands

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic resource, 29 Aug 2008
J. Hutchings "jjhutchings" (Framlingham, UK) - See all my reviews

If you enjoy his style and delivery (or at the least, can put up with it), this is a treasure-trove of information. I enjoy reading his books, and the programmes are neatly made. The 'dramatisations', much as they are, do not distract or interfere with the delivery of the material.

Heartily recommended to the armchair historian, or for those looking for a starting place for study.

PS Would be much happier if they'd included the Edward & Mary programme alongside this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Historical Account for Those Interested in English & British history (& Absolutely Stunning Photography Included), 19 Oct 2012
This review is from: David Starkey: The David Starkey Collection [DVD] (DVD)
This documentary presented by a David Starkey is nearly 18 hours long and covers the entire period of history of the English/British Monarchy from pre-Norman times all the way up to modern times with Elizabeth II. It is certain not lacking in substance or information in ANY of the 18 hours of presentation..not even one segment in which I saw would i regard as "fluff" or filler (which is pretty much expected in many documenaries it seems)...and for those really interested in British and English history..it will have you watching it over and over again to fully get all the information "downloaded" into your head. David Starkey is really good at narrating and is obviously a scholar and not just a celebrity hosting a "reality TV show type of documentary" and is very exciting to listen to and very informative.

Also one will certainly be impressed with the stunning film footage footage of castles, cathedrals, abbeys, rivers & landscapes, armor, weaponry, and general clothing of each of the time periods while it is being discussed.
Highly Recommend.

* I did have a problem with the DVD transfer on my first disc set...in that some of the DVDs episodes would not play on one of my DVD players ...and had to write to Amazon for a replacement. However, Amazon was quite accomodating on this matter, and I was certainly impressed with their customer services' handling of a free replacement DVD set. (Might have just been an odd glitch on the first set of discs?)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 8 Feb 2010
This review is from: David Starkey: The David Starkey Collection [DVD] (DVD)
Though I keep seeing episodes while scanning the TV channels, and always watched what I found, I realised the other week that I was missing some. Having thought that I had seen the whole Monarchy series I saw 2 that I hadn't seen before and decided to buy the set. (Where I found yet one more I had never seen!)
I'm very happy with the DVD's, Starkey may not be the most charismatic man on TV but he does make history interesting. The actors are not over the top at any time and are just there as visual reminders in case you forget who is who. The added Henry VIII and Elizabeth disks were great as well and round off the collection brilliantly.
Over all a brilliant selection of programmes, well worth watching over and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars David Starkey, 29 Jun 2009
D. Weaver (Wales. U.K.) - See all my reviews
Great collection of history about our UK monarchy. It has features of Alfred the great, Canute, Edward the Confessor, right up to our own Windsor monarchy, also the DVD of Henry Vlll & Elizabeth l is great to watch, I would highly recommend this for any student who is into history & taking GCSE courses in this matter.David Starkey explains this so well & makes history come alive.I love watching this with my son about our colourful passed UK history. I would also recommend this seller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic History, 4 May 2010
K. Milligan "Book Thistle" (Bedfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: David Starkey: The David Starkey Collection [DVD] (DVD)
I never watched the various TV series contained within this box set, so decided to buy this item and I must say I am gald that I did. David Starkey is of course a guru on all matters Tudor but his Enthusiasm for all subject matters drags you in and you feel a more learned person after each episode.

If British history is your passion then this is a must purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of British!, 15 Sep 2010
Ms. C. C. Dobson "Claire in Lndn" (England Britian) - See all my reviews
This review is from: David Starkey: The David Starkey Collection [DVD] (DVD)
A box set that is worth its weight in gold. Starkey is thorough and thoughtful in his presentation and presents the legal and political angles of the narrative clearly, allowing the viewer to comprehend a wider understanding of how history is made rather than 'this is the history -official'.

He has managed to humanise with sympathy the narrative and 'puts the viewer' in touch with the fact these were real people with all too real feelings, often put in dangerously out of their control circumstances.

People who are often presented as flat 'historical characters' rather than people who lived in and through incredible and extraordinary events. Starkey comes into his own and sheds light on both the context of events and the characters and personalities. Invaluable information that is an education and aesthetically pleasing to watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Dispassionate Essay on Britsh History, 15 Dec 2010
This review is from: David Starkey: The David Starkey Collection [DVD] (DVD)
Love or loathe him, David Starkey is a first rate historian. He sticks fairly close to facts and remains dispassionate throughout. This essay on British History uses its monarchy as its vantage point and we are drawn into a world of intrigue, state and office politics, battles, religion, bigotry, exploitation - the whole kit and kaboodle. Starkey's selection of using its monarchy as the vantage point gives us an all-round perspective. His delivery precise, calculated with a measured and appropriate of drama - the requisite qualities of a good history teacher. The nice thing about this series of programmes is that Starkey keeps it entertaining without been trashy. This set forms a superb aid to education as well as personal enjoyment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but rather sketchy on detail, 3 Nov 2011
This review is from: David Starkey: The David Starkey Collection [DVD] (DVD)
David Starkey is as usual very easy to listen to. There is nothing new in this boxed set but I had hoped for a bit more detail.
"Monarchy" starts with tribal chieftains & ends with Queen Victoria, too long a span to do justice to any particular ruler."The six wives of Henry the eighth" had more depth & "Elizabeth" was ok also.
If you're new to British history this set is a good starting point.At the very low price on Amazon it is worth the money for pure entertainment.

5.0 out of 5 stars seamer, 12 Oct 2011
Geoffrey E. Hart (Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: David Starkey: The David Starkey Collection [DVD] (DVD)
This is an excellent series which is well structured well-informed and to which Dr Starkey has a burning passion which cannot fail to inspire his viewers. My only complaint is that the Duke of Somerset whose family name is spelt Seymour is actually pronounced"Seamer" a point well made by the late lamentable George Fitzroy Seymour who has become famous since his daughter Miranda wrote a tell all book entitled "in my Father's house" 2007. A ripping read. Seamer even dallied with a bit of rough trade at the end of his life. Otherwise Starkey treatment is brilliant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant historian, 12 Mar 2013
David Evans (Holborough UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: David Starkey: The David Starkey Collection [DVD] (DVD)
Little to dislike, unless you find David Starkey over the top. I like his refreshing approach and style and the pictorial support for the history, taking us back to the sites and so on, makes history very interesting. My last mark for history at school was 14 out of 50. Had my teacher been David Starkey, I think my score would be higher.

David Starkey: The David Starkey Collection [DVD]