on 23 August 2007
Directed By Sergio Corbucci in 1968 The great silence is still a great hit today.
It realy is a great Spaghetti western filmed nicely with great atmosphere and in this movie i loved the bright red colour of the blood.
Staring Klaus Kinski and Jean-Louis Trintignant who plays Silent the mute character dont want to give to much away about the story there is an alternative happy ending on the dvd and a brilliant score by Ennio Morricone.
on 23 February 2010
Never seen this before, but I do like Django, so though I would give it's predecessor a try.

Typical of it's director an anti hero with deformaties & a cast of sadistic villians, but for once a western from Italy with a twist & I will say no more.

Nice wide screen copy & a choice of English or Italian dialogue along with some very intersting extras, make this a must for any collector of the genre.

Very recommneded.
on 12 June 2013
Delivery came really fast.The item is as described.Picture and sound quality is really good.There are many things, that You can find for Yourself here - great cinematography, variety of different characters and moods, classic music sound.Strong and historical dark western but really good.The price is cheap so, buy it! That's one of the best Italian westerns
on 20 April 2010
I think the other reviewers are overstating this one quite a bit. Best western ever? Well, I don't think so. Direction and production values are nothing like as good as Leone, but it has Klaus Kinski as the villain who's always interesting, and the script has a somewhat surprising ending which is probably unique in it's bleakness.

Other than that, it's OK.

By the way, unless you don't mind having the ending spoilt I suggest you avoid reading the review entitled "How LEONE should have made them" by Lewis which is full of spoilers.
on 12 July 2011
I bought this movie because the music was by Morricone, and I didn't already have any of it on other media. Fortunately the music is good (as expected), as is the scenery. Even so, the music is not on a par with that used in the Leone/Eastwood trilogy. The story is quite good, too, different from the norm, but the really sad thing is the dialogue. There are various options, and naturally I chose English, but because the actors' diction is less than perfect I elected to watch it with English subtitles for the hard of hearing. Alas, at times the subtitles are almost totally different from the spoken words, which makes for confused viewing. It's as if they were working from two different scripts, or perhaps ad-libbing. One thing I really did like was the unexpected ending - at least I didn't expect it. For those who are unhappy with the ending, a second, alternative, ending can be chosen, but I found the main ending - and the text notes thereon - quite a dramatic finish to the movie. The film is by Corbucci, and it reinforced my view that few can come even close to Leone when it comes to making westerns.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 June 2012
The DVD was delivered very fast and in the condition as described. I can recommend this seller. Glad I noticed this great, but underrated western in the Amazon collection. I will surely enjoy this western more than once!
on 28 December 2010
I saw this film as a rental a bit over a year ago. I immediately picked up the excellent Morricone soundtrack. I had been listening to it a good deal lately, giving me the itch to purchase the film. In the States, this DVD was released by a company called Fantoma and has gone out of print. I decided to try my hand at purchasing it here. The Fantoma disc was supposedly an "all region" disc as this disc is supposed to be (according to this page as of this writing)and it's extras were identical to this disc. There is also a review from a Canadian(a region 1 area)reviewer on here so I thought I was safe in ordering the disc. It looked suspicious when it arrived but I really wanted to believe that it was an all region disc. Sadly, it is not. It is strictly a region 2 disc. While the disc arrived in a very timely manner it would not play in either of our players or our computer. I now am forced to see how the return process will play out for this. Disappointing.

For those that work themselves in a twist over a lack of film review, here it is. This is a solid film for those of us who enjoy the Italian "spaghetti" westerns. Cox claims this to possibly be the greatest of the genre even more so than Leone's films. I would strongly disagree and would not even call it my favorite Corbucci film (that would go to the wildly amusing Companeros). That said, it does have a terrific sense of atmosphere and, as I mentioned, another amazing Morricone soundtrack. I would also agree with another reviewer that if you avoid spoilers you'll enjoy the film even more.
on 16 December 2014
The sound at the start, there was a bit of cracking, the film was quite good but the ending spoilt it.
on 15 September 2010
I like going into movies blind, knowing little or nothing about them other than quality, but I have to warn you about the opening shot that nearly toasted my retinas. Just a giant blinding white that takes up the whole screen. Argh, 'That's one bright desert!' But then the camera pulls back and picks up some other details of the film's environment and eventually twigged that I was looking at snow, not sand, once cinema's equivalent of sunspots cleared from my eyes.

This is just one of the few ways that the Great Silence stands out from the crowd despite being pretty much the same. What else is there? There's your typical western widow, but she's black this time!

The make or break point for me was the main character, The Great Silence, a mute who only shoots those who raise their guns against him. Good thing he's good at provocation in spite of his disability. Hurrah, a taciturn good guy for all those who like speaking through actions rather than words. I felt it was a bit of a gimmick that hurt the film as there's not much to help you understand him or get on his side, especially when he's up against a two-faced, smarmy, cool heel in Klaus Kinski who steals all the heat.

Granted I watched this a month ago, and I'm just trying to find reason why I barely remember it when I think of great films I watched recently. Whilst it's on it's full of visuals that deserve to be on the big screen and the Ennio Morricone soundtrack is up to the usual high standard. It's great if you're just looking for something to entertain you for it's running time, but it's not a classic that'll stick in your head for months afterwards.
on 21 February 2013
One of these films you keep watching to see what's going to happen next to improve the story, but it never comes right up to the end, very disappointing, having said that good acting