5.0 out of 5 stars Haruka Ayase the star of ICHI is an added bonus!
SCREENED AT THE 2009 FANTASIA INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL: I'm more than a bit curious how "Cyborg She" was marketed in Japan. The festival plugged it as the new film by Kwak Jaw-young, and of a piece with his with his other whimsical romantic comedies with a touch of the fantastic. Which it is, and although it never loses sight of being romance first and sci-fi second,...
Published on 24 Sep 2009 by Steve

3.0 out of 5 stars I Don't Get It
I have been on a quest to find interesting movies beyond the normal Hollywood output. I now have a number of none English language films.

I bought this film in part because of the good reviews here but also it was well reviewed on IMDB. I love a good scifi movie.

Published on 25 April 2011 by Wildman

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the all important first date., 15 Dec 2012
Dr. Delvis Memphistopheles "FIST" (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Cyborg She [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
The film is a Japanese Rom Com, but do not let that put you off, no floppy Hugh Grant fringe or boy meets girl American pearly white and tears overcoming fluff, although to paradoxically retract, it has elements of both.

Nerd meets beautiful woman who brings him out of his scientist autistic state, to see the world through a dead dolls eyes and find attachment. Meanwhile the film plays upon the paranoia of the everpresent killer earthquake which will wipe out the city en masse.

So it manages to combine Priss from Blade Runner with Terminator and 10 things I hate about you (yep I have watched it. Within the film there are scenarios of extreme violence along with those rom com moments, Sexy Dancing Kraftwerk style. Superman clips of rescuing stricken children, reaching back into the past and reworking it, but this is where it loses a star, as soon as you start interfering there is a series of unintended consequences as demonstrated in Don Quixote. The film misses these happenings.

However in trying to pull it altogether towards the end, there are the multiple endings which did bring several strands of the subtext back into a pattern which made some form of sense. But you have to pay careful attention otherwise you miss it.

Therefore if you want to spend a couple of hours with the partner in a joint weepee, a type of first date movie for the sensitive type of male who wants to impress with his feminine qualities then this is the film for you. It combines action with the beauty of the female strong woman lead, who is ice cold and warm as a beating heart along with violence, insouciance, no sex but plenty of unrequited emotions hidden under the veneer.

So do not be afraid, this will deliver the goods.

5.0 out of 5 stars De Ja Tissues needed, 11 Dec 2011
Mr. D. Ryan "bigboss" (Ohio USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cyborg She [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
I have never really been interested in Foreign movies, especially Japanese ones, heck I can just about say Crispy noodle let alone understand a word of the language. However I must say that I was very surprised at both the quality of acting and of the story line. It is a love story but disguised as a sci fi movie. very well written and I enjoyed watching the movie immensly. I am now searching for other Japanese movies. I enjoy Manga and Anime so this was a very nice surprise. I reccomend this movie to all. it is money well spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars japanese films amaze me..., 17 Oct 2011
This review is from: Cyborg She [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
This film surprised me alot!!
i was looking just for a cheesy romance film so i went through the amazon listings and saw this...had a nice cover and the review sounded ok, so I went ahead and bought it.
Right from the opening of the movie I was hooked, and this main character seemed to be explored so well.
The story itself is amazingly written and the whole feel of the film is just incredible!

if you are looking for a film that makes you cry, laugh, shocks you, makes you go "awwww" inside.....then GET THIS DVD!!!! it is really an amazing one you can not miss.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not What I Was Expecting, 28 Dec 2009
This review is from: Cyborg She [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
"Is This Love...Or Just Programming?"

This was the single question that I was expecting to be the basis this film, especially if it was left hanging in mid-air after never being fully answered or explored.

What is the definition of love? And if (as I believe,) it is defined by sacrifice, then can the Cyborg ever truly choose to sacrifice itself, or is it indeed `Only Programming?'

"Until then, I will continue learning, changing, growing, and trying to become more than what I am." ~ Lt. Comm. Data, `Star Trek: The Next Generation.'

"If a machine, a `Terminator' can learn the value of a human life, then maybe we can to." ~ Terminator 2.

But instead, this question was almost completely glossed over in this light-hearted and slightly sad romantic comedy.

In fact, having expected an entirely different film, this love story was a total surprise. And after longing for tragic but beautiful conclusion, the happy ending was a bit of a let down. But while another movie might only earn 1-star after failing to satisfy my expectations, this film is so original and so enjoyable that in truth, I'm nowhere near as disappointed as I might have been.

In conclusion then, I do honestly feel that the film's advertising is a deliberate piece of misdirection, guaranteeing the surprise by focusing our attention on the Cyborg, when in reality, she is little more than a conduit for the story. So while I would still honestly recommend this film to anyone who enjoys romantic comedies, please don't expect anything too deep or too meaningful, but do expect a nice, enjoyable twist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 1 July 2010
This review is from: Cyborg She [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
I won't bore you with a plot summary as there is already one here.

I absolutely loved this film, essentially it is a rom-com, but there is so much more to it. the story is very well told, and the writer clearly enjoyed creating this and put alot of thought into it. The most comical bits are little moments that are not over-stated like in hollywood films where they make a joke in a way that says 'look everyone, we made a funny, aren't we amazing?!' it just had moments that were nice to watch, and added charm as well as humour to the story, for example, in a montage of the main character and the cyborg bonding, they are throwing cans and she throws a can so hard it hits and destroys a big billboard on the other side of the city.

I also loved the futuristic side of the film, as the cyborg was sent by him in the future, and towards the end you see him in the future and it's quite a sweet and slightly tear-jerking scene, and yet there is humour in there too which adds to the emotion of the scene.

There is also more the the story than just him and the cyborg that ties up a lose thread that is a nice turn around to the story.

Visually it is also very pleasing, lots of lovely colours and interesting environments. I think this a goo film for people that don't watch alot of foreign films, aswell as thoughs that do, it is for a wide audience and I very much advise anyone to see it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Hilarious, Entertaining and Touching Robotic Romance, 3 Aug 2010
This review is from: Cyborg She [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
To start with I'll simply say this movie was brilliant. After watching it once I'd viewed it again within a week.
What makes "Cyborg She" so good is the blend of elements that come together perfectly to create a genuinely wonderful viewing experience. There is an engaging and intelligent story line at the movies core, along with a healthy helping of humour, a hearty splash of Sci-Fi and just the right amount of Romance. Many parts of this movie had me and the others watching it laughing until our sides hurt and the ending is very touching and a satisfying finish to a movie of this caliber. Additionally "Cyborg She" is a movie that both sexes can enjoy equally as neither the Romance nor the Sci-Fi action overpower each other instead there is a decent balance between them.
This is a must see movie for anyone (not just fans of Japanese cinema).

5.0 out of 5 stars "When I saw him, I started to love him.", 10 May 2010
This review is from: Cyborg She [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
If there's a movie that will get me to quit obsessing endlessly over MY SASSY GIRL it stands to reason that it would be something else written and directed by Jae-young Kwak.

Jiro Kitamura is a quite, well-behaved young man. He's very lonely (his entire family was killed in a earthquake) then one evening while buying himself a birthday present he sees a very beautiful young woman in a store and she's looking at him with that twinkle in her eyes. She follows him and when he goes to eat his traditional birthday dinner of spaghetti she sits down with him. They eat and have some fun small adventures around town. Later, while walking, she tells him to close his eyes cause she has to leave. As she's walking away she tells him she's from the future. He doesn't see her again for a year until his next birthday when she suddenly appears at the same restaurant. This time she stays.

That is the non-spoiler, simplified version of the story. The simplified, spoiler version is: [SPOILERS!!!] a young man is shot and burned on his birthday by a madman. Paralyzed and confined to a wheelchair he spends the rest of his life creating a robot and perfecting time travel to send the robot back to save him. He's successful and she does go back and save him. She also saves other people that the old man remembers being killed. She also takes the young man back in time to see his hometown village as it was when he was a child (remember his village and family was destroyed by a earthquake). The people she saved don't change the future cause within a few months of the cyborg appearance there's a massive earthquake that destroys all of Tokyo and the cyborg dies saving the young man's life. As he clutches her corpse in the rubble a time-traveler from from the 22nd century appears. She looks exactly like the cyborg, cause she is the inspiration for the cyborg. As a girl in the future she was in a museum and saw a display talking about the cyborg (built in 2070) and the old man so she purchases the original cyborg (complete with memory chip) and has the cyborg's memories added to hers. She travels back to 2008 to see the young man (and Tokyo) before he ever met the cyborg and before the earthquake, so she, not the cyborg, is the original girl who visits him. She falls in love with him instantly and gives him an evening of fond memories then she returns to the future knowing the cyborg will save him one year later from the gunman. After she returns, post-earthquake, she stays with him until her death and creates the cyborg that will save his life and therefore recreating his history and erasing his years of misery and replacing them with years of happiness.

I might have missed a thing or two, but I think my interpretation is correct. One thing I am curious about is who exactly brought his cat from his childhood to 2008 and since it disappeared right before the big earthquake does that mean he was just simple moved into the future?

[END SPOILERS!!!] Truly amazing movie. If you love time travel, especially the idea of sacrifice and time travel solely based on love, then this is the movie for you. I cannot recommend it enough. I'm not sure how much it's going to slow me down with my MY SASSY GIRL obsession, but one thing's for sure: Jae-young Kwak is skyrocketing up my list of favorite directors and he's definitely near the top of my list of favorite current directors. This guy is [...] amazing! How much talent can one person have?!

5.0 out of 5 stars A rom com with heart, 24 May 2010
Mr. G. F. Burton "Barking DVD" (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cyborg She [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
I purchased this DVD by chance romcom's are. I not my scene. But having watch the DVD I only say the leads were brilliant and the story out of this world The acting was up there with Chinese Box. In that the actors could not have performed any better. A work of almost genius fom the cast and crew

5.0 out of 5 stars Cyborg She, 24 May 2010
C. TOAL (Inverness, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cyborg She [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
To be completely honest i picked this film at random, but what a choice it was.

The film follows the lead character who is a complete loner and definately a bit down on his luck. On one birthday (which he celebrates alone) a beautifull woman walks into his life for one nite only and takes him through an event filled evening that he can't forget. One year later the same woman appears but as he finds out she is a cyborg created by the future him to help turn his life around.

A beautifull love story with humour that will make the most stoney of faced people crack a smile.

Fantastic vissual effects and a plot that will allow you to watch again and again for a new perspective.

3.0 out of 5 stars I Don't Get It, 25 April 2011
This review is from: Cyborg She [DVD] [2008] (DVD)

The film clearly copied ideas from Terminator series, maybe not so surprising, but the overall structure was a little strange. I found some of the elements of the story added for me in quite an amateur way, kind of cheats, there is a section where they go back to his home town and go back in time, no explanation how this was possible, then he is suddenly in hospital because he became ill, this seemed a little pointless. There was also a somewhat strange ending and it went for the big tear jerking happy ending. Oh well.

If you plan to buy this film don't expect something that is Western in it's thinking. Sounds obvious now I write it.

I think maybe I just don't get Japanese cinema.

Cyborg She [DVD] [2008]
Cyborg She [DVD] [2008] by Jae-young Kwak (DVD - 2009)
6.49