5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!
Published 4 months ago by Doug

1.0 out of 5 stars Great disappointment
This was a great disappointment for me and my 9 year son. The lathe does not have enough power to maintain rotation when the dowel supplied with the kit is inserted as per instructions. The blade of the jigsaw keeps coming out. Why bother to go and design a piece of kit like this that does nothing but disappoint??
Published 29 days ago by Daniel Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 5 July 2014
This review is from: Real Power Workshop (Toy)
I have to admit that I actually bought this for myself, as I am aged 61. The reason for this is because I am building a wooden sailing ship and thought that this may help with certain parts. First of all, I was delighted with the item and the amount of extras included was brilliant. Checked everything over, including using a power plug, which worked fine. This is definitely worth it's money and if this had been around when I had been a boy, would have been delighted with it as an introduction to power tools and actually making something yourself instead of being stuck in front of the TV or computer. Well done!

5.0 out of 5 stars Got my 9 year old and his friends away from the iPad!!, 1 Jun 2013
N. Timpson "La_La" (Fleet, Hants) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Real Power Workshop (Toy)
WellI I won't go into detail on what is included because that's in the ad and other reviews...

What I will say is what a PLEASURE to find a toy that I can sit with my son at the kitchen table and work on projects together. Not an iPad in sight!

He LOVED that I gave him the responsibility of marking his templates and using the circular saw and drill on his own. Then building and painting the model. Gave him a real sense of achievement (very important for boys this age)

His friends all loved it too (I bought extra balsa sheets so they could make their own models)

NB: The balsa sheets/dowel supplied was literally just enough for the 3 models... no spares at all so when he accidentally snapped a shape when hand sanding we had to use a sheet for the other kit.
Not the end of the world, but my advice is to buy more when you order the original kit. Great for their friends to use too.. I had 2 very focussed nine year olds working on their models all afternoon yesterday! Lovely to see!

The jigsaw is my only real complaint. I am not sure if our jigsaw works properly, it seems very loose and wobbly, so I don't let him use that as it is pretty dangerous (I have to do all the fiddly bits), but it may be ours may just be broken.

Be interesting to see if other owners had the same issue?

GREAT toy though, educational, and teaches them respect for power tools and a sense of self respect too. HIGHLY recommended!
(My boy is 9, his co-ordination was probably not good enough for this when he was 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great start for Kids, 30 Jan 2010
This review is from: Real Power Workshop (Toy)
Its nice to buy something that actually does what is says on the packet! It saws, drills and sands a nice introduction to woodwork. My 8 year old loves it and my 12 year old is also getting a kit so that he can have a go too. Makes a Great break from computer games. Really good for cognitive skills and creativity. Lets hope they keep it up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Toy!, 12 Dec 2010
This review is from: Real Power Workshop (Toy)
Having read the reveiws beforehand, I bought some Duracell Procell batteries from Amazon in preparation and they certainly provided plenty of power. I was really impressed with the performance of this toy and there was enough power to do all the jobs involved. My 8 year old loves it, and his 12 year old brother keeps asking for goes too. A fantastic toy at a fantastic price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not great but not without merit, 30 Jan 2012
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Real Power Workshop (Toy)
For this review I will start with a plain description of what you get then conclude with my opinion of the product.

When you first open the box you are greeted by quite a few items as follows:

1 Power Workshop, 1 Drill Stand, 1 pair of Safety Goggles, 1 Extension Table piece, 1 Wood turning Tool, 1 Drill bit, 1 Hand file, 1 spare Jigsaw Blade, 1 spare Sanding Disk, 6 small pots of Acrylic Paint, 5 slightly larger pots of Acrylic Paint, 1 tube of PVA Glue, 2 Paint Brushes, 13 card templates, 13 220mm x 100mm x 3mm sheets of balsa wood, 5 80mm x 10mm dia. balsa dowels, 1 sheet of Sandpaper, 1 25ml pot, 2 sets of plastic parts for the introductory projects and 1 instruction booklet.

The Power workshop is 360mm long x 150mm wide x 200mm high. The sanding disk is about 30mm diameter. The jigsaw is about 10mm at max travel, 5mm minimum (plus a 10mm safety cap). I would estimate the circular saw to be about 30mm diameter but its guard only allows 3mm (or less) sheet to be cut. The lathe is 80mm between centres and would accept up to around 15mm dowel. The vice is 90mm wide and opens 20mm. The drill accepts a dedicated 4mm drill bit. It is worth noting that to use the drill you must remove the motor from the main unit and transfer it to the drill stand. The workshop requires 4 x D size batteries and has a jack socket for a 6 volt 15 watt d.c. power supply. It comes supplied with instuctions, templates and materials for 3 projects. Details are supplied for obtaining replacement sanding disks and jigsaw blades.

When I opened the box I was initially struck by how small the workshop tool looked, although there is plenty in the box, including some tucked away under the main packing. The tool is made to work balsa wood up to 3mm thickness. It has plenty of safety guards and sensible use should not cause concerns. The sanding disk looks tiny but works well enough, even having a mitre function. The circular saw is well protected and both saws work well as long as you don't force them. The lathe was a bit of a disappointment as the head stock stripped out the balsa and the tool seemed woefully inadequate. The drill functions ok but is let down by the fact that it only takes the supplied bit.

In conclusion I would say that it is of limited use as a tool. A craft knife, steel ruler and some sandpaper could do as well. The one thing that this tool does do well is give your child the opportunity to use a child friendly version of some serious power tools. With it you can teach them respect for tools and good workshop practice. It might even inspire them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Small Scale But Enjoyable., 9 May 2011
This review is from: Real Power Workshop (Toy)
I bought this in the hope that I could prise my children away from there computer games and do something more rewarding.

It's still early days but they are loving it, so much so that there have been arguments who is going to use it.

My little girl is also wanting to get involved, she asked if she could make some items for a dolls house.

It definitely needs adult supervision until they have learnt the basics. Only down side really is that there is no mains adaptor in the kit and I think most people would gladly pay a few pounds more to have one included these days.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice traditional toy, 3 Mar 2011
Cris Baxter "Cris B" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Real Power Workshop (Toy)
Bought this for my son and he loves it. I agree with some of the other reviews about it needing a mains adapter, but for the price its a great toy. My son (now aged 11) has completed the projects included within the kit and some of the additional ones available and since progressed to making his own projects, designing them from scratch. Recommended for any parent who doesn't want their child to grow up only being able to use a PS3 or XBox.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great disappointment, 22 Oct 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars for the real chippy., 19 Jan 2014
This review is from: Real Power Workshop (Toy)
Great first real work set this is something every little worker should start with and they will learn so much it's brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars workshop, 15 Jan 2014
This review is from: Real Power Workshop (Toy)
this is great for kids to get started my neice wanted to help me with model airplanes and this was a great help

Real Power Workshop