5.0 out of 5 stars A return to form for Robbie and recommended listening if you are a fan of well produced "pop" music!
To start off with, I am not a huge Robbie fan, so this is an unbiased review. Secondly, I felt I had to post my comments to counter the negative remarks that have been made by other "reviewers" who have yet to hear the album! I've had access to a preview copy of the new CD and have to say that I really like it, in fact I can't stop playing it at the moment! In my opinion...
Published on 29 Oct 2009 by Phoenix Rising

3.0 out of 5 stars DVD disappoints
The point of getting the Deluxe edition with the DVD is that you want the DVD. I was expecting the DVD to contain the promotional videos for the songs on the CD. It turned out to be a short film of RW talking to camera and telling us that he hadn't done 'work' for three years and how talented the photographer is and how nice all the people working on the photo shoot are...
Published on 1 Feb 2010 by Peter Owen

‹ Previous | 112 13 14 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars After Escaplogy Its Been Pretty Much Downhill....., 6 Nov 2009
Mr. A. R. Castor (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Reality Killed the Video Star (Audio CD)
OK........back a few years ago there wasn't a bigger Robbie fan than me, but Intensive Care, Rudebox and this offering tell you what us Robbie fans unfortunately don't want to admit....

Robbie is brilliant when he's doing the cheeky stuff of old but all this electrical 80's sounding material just doesn't fit.

Intensive care was dull. Rudebox I dont think was quite as bad as how it was portrayed (and how anybody overlooked track 3 "Lovelight" is beyond me), and after listening to Video Killed The Reality Star many times over, I cant get Robbie when he's serious.

Track 1, Morning Sun, is excellent, but it stops there.

Just play Escapology and play this CD and I think you'll see as an artist who writes cheeky and catchy songs, he is unparallelled, but when it comes to the serious stuff, theres something missing. I know we all have to grow up, but Robbies grown up music isnt working.

Trevor Horn and Steven 'tintin' Duffy took him back to the 80's with this album and also Rudebox. Too 80's......too electrical.

3.0 out of 5 stars live review, 29 Oct 2009
This review is from: Reality Killed the Video Star (Audio CD)
Hi guys, im reviewing this album as i listen to it, lets see how we go.

1, Morning Sun. Ive just read that Trevor Horn produced the album, not sure if thats a step backwards, afterall, he's renowned for his pop work 30 years ago. This is a pleasant enough start though, but be warned, it turns into a Take That style Beatles hommage 2 minutes in, complete with yellow submarine horn break. So the powers that be have decided to follow a proven formula. As i said, pleasant, but a tad MOR may I venture, hardly a fresh smack in my pop face. 8/10

2, Bodies, the single u already know. I like it, still. This is closer to the kind of pop smack i expect from the Robmeister. Horn's signature is all over this one. Innovative. 8/10

3, You Know Me, Hmm, whats up with my earphones? Ahh there we go, nice, from the outset this song sounds just like a cool glass of orange juice tastes when yer gaspin' first thing int' mornin'. This would have been better situated at the start of the album. I'm seeing the colours orange and brown, YES! ITS THE 70s all over again! Showaddywaddy meets Mudd at Christmastime. Best thing i can say about this one is that its a solid pop song, nicely crafted. Pretty piano as we fade away. 6/10

4.Blasphemy, Robbie bravely starts us off with his latest efforts at poetry over a piano and string backing. Horn's told him to go for it in one take by the sound of it, for realism's sake. Wearing his soul on his sleeve sort of thing. Ok, looks like the song is gonna stick with this same theme. In other words, its ...oh, nope, here we go, song aims for higher heights for the middle 8. I'm not sure this song is strong enough to bear up to repeated listens, but its a nice interlude. 5/10

5, Do you mind. I hope not, but let's have a listen. Starts off average, and then rises a crescendo to the chorus's first airing. Then repeat. Ok, im laughing now, that chorus is contageousss! Oh la la what?? Haha. This one will get you bopping with Granny on boxing day. Ah Ah , ooh ooh, ya man. Lol, a catchy throwaway pop ditty. 7/10

6.Last Days Of Disco, Umm, Who invited Kraftwerk to the party? This one wouldnt have made it on to Rudebox. You see, theyre trying too hard with this one. Rudebox was fun, if all over the place. This is taking itself too seriously, and the Disco here is halfways between New York and Berlin. The best part is the last 20 seconds. AVERAGE 4/10

7. Somewhere, I'm starting to worry about this album's health now. Erm was that an interlude? Certainly wasnt a song. 1 pointless minute, with more strings! 0/10

8. Deceptacon, Haha, Hello Deceptacon, calling occupants from interplanetary craft anyone? Its getting lush. "All over Britain, we wait for permission, to form another queue" Golly, string heavy this one, again. This will be Robbie's ode to the aliens then. Its a tad wishy washy im afraid folks. No discernable tune. Hence, overly produced. Perhaps Horn was trying his best to wishy washy away the "song" which never manages to push its head through the clouds. Maybe the aliens will come and teach us how to hear this one thru better ears. 4/10

9. Starstruck, Oh dear, Horn is at it again. As soon as I hear that production, i know not to expect a tune to show up anytime soon. What on earth is this? 2 minutes in now and im craning my head looking for my copy of Rudebox. This is horrid. Tracks 1-3 seem so long ago, lol. Can i rewind yet? A[...] Look, no doubt these tunes will become more enjoyable in time, but as far as good pop songs go, they are sparse on the ground here, and its not even been a harsh winter yet. No excuse for this one. A big fat 1/10.

10. Difficult for Weirdos. Should be easy for me then..... Well, 30 seconds in, its better than the last one. Im starting to hate Trevor Horn. Its like someone from the record company had a gun held at his head as he worked. The pressure is really telling, and Robbie's voice, his character, his personality, are being drowned in a wash of sound that just doesnt suit him. His a pop king, not a disco kid. There is no tune here. Turgid. 2/10

11. Superblind, We're coming towards the end now, so time to tag on some good ones for those who stuck around? Yeah well, maybe, This is more like it. Hopefully we're over the mid-album lull, which lasted 7 tracks! Seems like each song is either a crude attempt at disco, or a less crude attempt at soaring strings and histrionics. This is the latter. Has a bit of atmosphere this one. Some squelchy sounds in there to tease your eardrums. Pleasant enough. 6/10

12. Won't Do That, Oh yeah, and there are the ones with guitar and horns too. We're back in Take That mode again, and to be fair, Robbie does it better, cuz he's not Gary Barlow, or Jason Orange for that matter. Oh yeahhhh Robbie, belt it out son! Yeahhhhhh! Ahh listen, theres George Harrison on guitar, and all is well in camp Robbie again. Obviously, it aint that great, and it certainly aint innovative, but fear not, its a goodie. 8/10

13. Morning Sun Reprise. Lol, did you have to? This aint kidding anyone. Pointless. But the original Morning Sun, which youll find way back at track one(or u could just press play again right now) is very good. But doesnt that seem soooo long ago? 0/10

So there you go, it wasnt much of a ride afterall. Im off to listen to it again on the way to Tesco's. Dairy Milk if your interested. But i need something to perk me up. Perhaps, just perhaps, this cd will be able to do so sometime soon. But in all honestly, Robbie's lost it, like they all do. Hey, even Bowie lost it, so lets not weep excessively. We still love ya Rob.

5/10

1.0 out of 5 stars True Colours, 9 Nov 2009
This review is from: Reality Killed the Video Star (Audio CD)
Rudebox and this have shown Robbie in his true colours. If you have rated this highly then you are a die hard fan and that's okay but don't try to make me think this is decent music. If you like this then you will love 101 Children's Songs and Nursery Rhymes

1.0 out of 5 stars Bab, 8 Jun 2012
This review is from: Reality Killed the Video Star (Audio CD)
an ex girlfriend bought me this for xmas???? are you having LAUGH? utter filth from the king of arrogance, i dumped my girlfriend on new years day aswell lol!

5.0 out of 5 stars at last!! robbie - long time since knebworth 2003., 8 Sep 2009
about time robbie. great album. cant wait to get this. Now for a little more robbie as he should be. come on robs, its your time again now. sincere robs fan..... go robs. you are still the (ENTERTAINER) X X X X

1.0 out of 5 stars BLAND and SLOW, 15 Nov 2009
C. MacDonald (MERSEYSIDE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Reality Killed the Video Star (Audio CD)
not being a robbie fan,bordering on the point of boy band,x factor type hatred,ive aquired this cd (my aunty),sunday morning, an hour to kill,thought i would give it a go,see what all the fuss is about,i wanted to turn it off about 4 songs in,they all sound the same track 5 is ok,nice bit of rock guitar,but after this its all downhill again,there is nothing here to change the world,there are no lyrics,musical content.that speak to me on here at all.and i can only imagine that the people that enjoy this album lead grey dull ,bland lives,and ont have a single decent bit of music in their compilation collection,cant even imagine any of this getting any one going performed live,simply awful,anyone want my copy ?????,this album selling power is the perfect example of the media machine with wheels in progress,simply selling the product under the name robbie williams,watching him on coumtless tv shows,J ROSS,LOOSE WOMEN,COUNTDOWN all in the name of a "pop star" being told where to go,what to do.to sell his product,.......bargain bucket after crimbo,dropped by record company next summer,take that say no you cant join,loses his bird he keeps banging on about,grows his hair in L.A., spots his fIrst ufo ,etc etc etc

1.0 out of 5 stars Mince, 12 Nov 2009
Gavin Steel "gfunk152" (Glasgow, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Reality Killed the Video Star (Audio CD)
Maybe he should have stayed on the smack and produced something reasonable. This is pish!

5.0 out of 5 stars robbie, 30 Aug 2009
Mrs. T. Halliwell (usa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Reality Killed the Video Star (Audio CD)
bodies is decent just felt had to rate as some idiot gave 1 star so has low rating on album

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete rubbish, 10 Nov 2009
This review is from: Reality Killed the Video Star (Audio CD)
poor lyrics, average at best production.
Moderately better than Rudebox but still very poor.
His unfounded ego should stay in Rehab

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear., 8 Nov 2009
Got an advance listen of this:

Morning Sun, Starstruck, Blasphemy, Deceptacon: Piano driven ballads with strings - terrible, godawful lyrics which destroy them:
"And the village drum sadly passed away, it was a shame I never knew his name" Lest we forget, there's also Deceptacon's "Microwave yourself today, save it for another day".

Bodies:
Fantastic grinding electro synth intro and random ethnic glock leads into more terrible lyrics. Religious references in the lyrics ruin this one - I cringe 30 times a minute.

You know Me:
Doo Wop, this ones slow paced and dull but at least I'm not cringing at the lyrics as much this time round. Chorus is catchy, this should have been the single. Too long tho, a minute overlong.

Do You Mind:
I couldn't put my finger on who he's trying to rip off here. I could definitely tell you it doesn't work tho. At least it's a uptempo rock number, unfortunately it sounds dated and you won't like it.

Last Days Of Disco:
Sounds like 'Sweet Dreams' for about 2 seconds, synth electro number. Except that song was good. Likely left over from the last record. Terrible. Pet Shop Boysesque dirge. The 'Don't call it a come back' lyric is ironic on multiple levels.

Somewhere is one minute long. You'll forget what it's about.

Difficult For Weirdos:
Pet Shop Boys. I'm fatigued by the last tracks being devoid, I've lost perspective.

Won't Do That:
Actually this ones pretty good??!!? Think Tom Jones musically. Without a strong baritone singing it.

‹ Previous | 112 13 14 | Next ›

Reality Killed the Video Star
Reality Killed the Video Star by Robbie Williams (Audio CD - 2009)