5.0 out of 5 stars An honest, endearing and painful film
Published on 1 Mar. 2010 by Mike Williams

2.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but...
Published 17 months ago by TeeCee

5.0 out of 5 stars An honest, endearing and painful film, 1 Mar. 2010
Mike Williams (South Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adam [DVD] (2009) (DVD)
Like Adam, I have Asperger's, and I want to review this film from that basis. It is essentially a romantic comedy: Adam, who having lost his father, lies alone with the typical regimented lifestyle of someone with Asperger's. This is thrown into disarray with the arrival of Beth, his upstairs neighbour, to whom he feels attraction and wants to get to know better. The awkwardness of their interactions (and Adam's painful emergence into the world of restaurants, theatres, and parties) is gentle, amusing, and extremely realistic. Whilst everyone with Asperger's is an individual, I recognised Adam's behaviours and attitudes from my own. The indictment of Beth's father on charges of dishonesty make her rethink the qualities of honesty and integrity that Asperger's brings to Adam and strengthens their bond. However, when things get difficult for Beth, she turns on Adam and his Asperger behaviour and curses both him and his condition. For me, this was painful as people with Asperger's are governed by the condition - Asperger's is not something that can be switched on and off as events determine. What might, on occasions, seem sweet or cute can, at other times, seem disrespectful and unfeeling. Whilst I found the mirror held to my condition painful, the film was very honest in this regard. (For the record, I saw the situation from Adam's viewpoint - which I think might differ from others watching the film without Asperger's?) Ultimately, the film works and, even if you know nothing of the condition, you'll take something from it. For those that want to understand Asperger's better - perhaps because, like Beth, you have met someone with the condition - it will show you what we are like, for good and bad. Just don't expect us to have the same understanding of what constitutes good and bad as you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Colour my world with sunshine........., 23 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Adam [DVD] (2009) (DVD)
Remember Petula Clark singing this song way back in the 60's? Adam might not be colouring his world with sunshine everyday, but he definetely pictured his own reality. Many puns and over/understatements passed him by or he took them literally. Him taking life at face-value provided for a hidden-agenda-free existence. Hugh Dancy did a brilliant job portraying a lad suffering from asperger syndrome. He let me be drawn into Adam's world and made me aware, physically (tears, pit in my stomach) as well as mentally, of the sheer loneliness and dispair Adam must have encountered when interacting with other people. Due to Hugh's stunning performance I somehow got close to Adam. I consider him to be a fine young man, free from that blatant desire to want to have one over on the other, which has become more or less commonplace in our society. The Adam I got to know is a downright honest man, a kind man and a man who treats his fellowman with respect. Pity his 'antennas' are tuned differently from most humans. I reckon there are many Adams about. Thanks to this film I'd advice anyone - and here speaks the voice of experience - to listen to an Adam close by. Really listen, that is. You may be surprised by the wonderful colours of his - or her - world. For this, your Adam will feel understood and less lonely and you'll feel better in the process. Back to Adam as picture; Hugh Dancy outshone the rest of the cast. As for the plot; thirteen to the dozen. Still 5 stars due to the emotions 'Adam' provoked in me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unusual Romance, 25 Oct. 2009
H. meiehofer "haroldm" (glasgow, scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Adam [DVD] (2009) (DVD)
This is the sort of romantic comedy which has reviewers looking up the thesaurus for synonyms of gentle and whimsical. However these are the perfect words to describe the film.

Adam has Asperger's syndrome and the film is essentially the story of his relationship with a neighbour Beth. I can't say, as I simply do not have the experience, whether this is an accurate portrayal of the condition. All I can say is that Hugh Dancy plays the part very well. The character generally comes across as charming, if a bit odd, rather than the space ball type portrayed by Hoffmann in Rain Man.

The gap between Adam's way of looking at the world and Beth's provides quite a lot of gentle humour, without this being a hugely hilarious film.

This is not a masterpiece, nor unlike similar movies does it have any such pretensions. It is simply quite a pleasant little film that entertains without leaving a profound effect on the viewer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good film, 12 July 2010
This review is from: Adam [DVD] (2009) (DVD)
Haveing Aspergers my slef i think this film shows a really good pretral of what aspertges is. And the acivemnts that a person with aspergers really can creat for them selves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very much worth a watch., 9 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Adam [DVD] (2009) (DVD)
Adam is a 29 year old man with Aspergers Syndrome, a high functioning form of Autism. What this means becomes clear in the film itself. The film follows a developing relationship between Adam and a new neighbour Beth through hardships of life.

Having watched several films concerning differently abled individuals or individuals with additional needs I was a little hesistant about watching this film. However it is so very much better than you can expect.

The film is an emotional and enjoyable watch throughout; however I must admit, I am perhaps more emotionally connected than most, myself closely knowing an adult with Aspergers. However this means I can also tell you, if you are not just looking for a moving film but also to be more informed about the condition, the portrayal in this film, both through the fantastic acting and the scripting, is shockingly realistic and faultess.

Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 27 Oct. 2009
W. Hill (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adam [DVD] (2009) (DVD)
Not going to set the world alight, but if like me you have Aspergers, then it is a real insight into how you can 'look' to the outside world and the difficulties it can create.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable romance., 25 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Adam [DVD] (2009) (DVD)
One problem with any fiction written to include a character with any unfamiliar to most characteristics such as Aspergers is that it is automatically seen as insightful. It isn't/they aren't. They are fiction. You don't usually watch mild romantic comedies for insight into humanity and you shouldn't here. Having said that it is wonderful that AS gets some tasteful and sensitively created recognition in the media. This film is a must watch for anyone with a connection to Aspergers purely for the novelty of good mainstream recognition. It is also a must watch for anyone who enjoys romantic fiction because it is well made romantic fiction. At the end of the day the film isn't ground breaking or deep or exhilarating. The film is enjoyable romantic fiction about the connecting of two people whose hook and potential pitfall is that the lead male has some peculiarities that require a partner with a caring open mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Aspie Romance Film, 18 Feb. 2011
Gavin Bollard (Sydney, NSW Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adam [DVD] (2009) (DVD)
Adam is a romantic drama about a couple in which the male, Adam has aspergers syndrome. Aspergers is specifically mentioned and described in the screenplay and the film makes a very good attempt to show what life could be like for a person with aspergers.

Adam's special interest topic; space, is up there front and centre but his other obsessive behaviour, while hinted at, is generally given a back seat in the story. It's clear that he eats the same meals every day and that he likes to have things lined up but the film doesn't dwell on it. The film also shows some literal interpretations and communications difficulties but again it doesn't dwell. Finally, there's a meltdown shown - again, the film doesn't dwell but moves on with the story.

I think that the fact that the film skirts around the issues rather than dwelling on them is good. It could have been a comedy of quirks but director Max Mayer has wisely kept the focus on the relationship rather than the oddities. As such, there is a lot of heart and realism to the film.

The film begins at Adam's father's funeral (his last surviving parent) and it looks at the difficulties that people with aspergers encounter when trying to become independent. Along the way, we are introduced to Harlan, his mentor and in the course of the film we see just how important it is for aspies to have a mentor.

The film looks at Adam's black and white interpretation of events and the struggle he has to make himself seen and heard. It also looks at things from the other side of the relationship through the eyes of his somewhat too understanding girlfriend.

The accuracy of Hugh Dancy's portrayal as Adam is astonishing, though there were still a few things that my wife and I felt were a little un-aspie. In particular, Adam initiated the first kiss and chose an appropriate moment - this could have been pure luck but it was a fairly un-aspie moment. There are a couple of other places where this sort of thing happens but I won't spoil them for you.

My wife was also not too pleased with the film's abrupt ending but I felt it was more "true to life".

I was expecting a comedy but while there are some funny moments, Adam is first and foremost a drama. It's a film for everyone but especially it's a film for aspies and the neurotypicals who love them.

2.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but..., 28 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Adam [DVD] (2009) (DVD)
It's an entertaining film which tries to depict Assperger life in a Hollywood format. Should probably be avoided by those who live with Aspergers . I found it simplified the difficulties I experience (I married an adult Aspie man, I didn't leave him) and left me feeling that it trivialized the problems that we face everyday with Aspergers syndrome in general. Whilst it did make me smile at times...I was left feeling rather tearful as I wish our life and the lives of all Aspies 'suffers' was that simple.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adam, 13 Jun. 2010
Heidi Jane Harris (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Adam [DVD] (2009) (DVD)
I saw this being previewed prior to it's release at the cinema and thought I wanted to see it but it never came to my local cinema so I pre-ordered the DVD and waited for it's release. It's a simple, thoroughly enjoyable film - not as good as Dustin Hoffman's Rainman but in the same vein. I thought it could have been tied up slightly better at the end, another five minutes of story would have done no harm at all. Still, a nice film which is well worth the time spent on it.

Adam [DVD] (2009)
Adam [DVD] (2009) by Max Mayer (DVD - 2010)