5.0 out of 5 stars The best adaptation I've seen...
I don't normally write Amazon reviews but after watching this adaptation of Emma (and pre-ordering the DVD as soon as it appeared here) I felt compelled to encourage others to do the same. I read Emma over ten years ago, in my teens, and enjoyed the book, but since then have seen the Gwyneth Paltrow film and the Kate Beckinsale TV adaptation and had to admit, they left me...
Published on 28 Oct 2009 by Chloe

3.0 out of 5 stars Patchy but enjoyable
Clearly, Romola Garai's performance as the eponymous heroine is going to make or break the adaptation. I felt her performance was patchy. Emma's epic argument with Mr Knightley at the conclusion of the first episode felt meaningful - albeit, towards the end of the scene Garai's performance seems a little bit overacted. At times I felt like she hit the right note, but then...
Published on 12 Nov 2010 by Iset

‹ Previous | 110 11 12 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm not sure I can watch the rest!, 26 Oct 2009
This review is from: Emma [DVD] (DVD)
Don't be waiting with bated breath for this new version of Emma. I finally got all four episodes on the DVR so decided I'd watch the first tonight. You know, I thought I'd wait for all four in case I started and got so into it I'd hate to wait for each episode.

Hah!

It's HORRIBLE. "Emma" is smarmy and completely lacking in grace or dignity or anything I would expect from this character at all. I mean, yes, as far as Austen heroines go, Emma has clearly got her faults, but in this version she is not even remotely likable. Even the way she moves is irritating.

She is too old. Knightley is too young. They don't work. I can't think of a single character so far who does work. It's just bad. I got the impression the producers were trying to appeal to a younger crowd who have never seen a better adaptation, much less read the book. Some of the language, the physical acting... agh! Bad! Wrong! Words are failing me, yes; I am that bitterly disappointed.

I'm not sure I can even watch the other three installments. Dare I say it, though it pains me to do so? Even Gwenyth's version was better than this!

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful!, 25 Nov 2010
This review is from: Emma [DVD] (DVD)
i havnt read the book but i absolutely love this version. I think Garai and Miller make a perfect Knightly and Emma and Michael Gambon is brilliant as Emmas heavily cautious father!Miller is very good at expressing his realisation of his feelings for emma throughout the film and makes it very believable

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb adaptation, 6 Jan 2010
This review is from: Emma [DVD] (DVD)
While no film adaptation can truly capture the essence of any Jane Austen novel, I consider this series to come closest to the original. The storyline was "dumbed down" a bit to accommodate the uninitiated who is not familiar with the book, but written, directed, and acted well enough to please the more sophisticated Janeite.

I pre-ordered this item in advance of its issue and I was pleased to learn that Amazon granted me a discount based on their price-protection policy.

5.0 out of 5 stars DVD of Jane Austen's "Emma" with Romola Garai, 18 Jun 2012
A. Birkett - See all my reviews
This review is from: Emma [DVD] (DVD)
This version of Emma was well cast and captured the storyline and characters from the book accurately. It is my favourite screen version of Emma by a long chalk.

4.0 out of 5 stars Truly enjoyable adaptation, 12 Aug 2010
This review is from: Emma [DVD] (DVD)
I love watching adaptations of Austen's works, mostly to see how the works have been re interpreted and made. This BBC adaptation of Emma is brilliant! I truly enjoyed watching the characters interact with each other as the story developed, the subtle changes and the slow realisation that all is not as one assumes. One of my favourite scenes is Emma and Mr Knightley's dance at the ball, it is perfect.

I thought the acting cast were fantastic - friendships and relationships were portrayed with ease, some with more reservation fitting to the Austen times, and each character brought to life with his or her own unique quirks, and ways of seeing the world. Another big plus of this adaptation are the rich and beautiful costumes, settings and music (I purchased the audio cd).

I also felt that I didn't really want the story to end! (and I know it has to end). Watching it has also made want to re read Austen's Emma. This adaptation is a 'modern' take on a classic so maybe not for all Austen purists. I would recommend this adaptation to anyone who enjoys Jane Austen period dramas, a great story with strong characters, entertainment with lightness and good humour and beautiful cinematography (costumes, music and settings).

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous!, 20 Jan 2010
Bluto (Wakefield, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Emma [DVD] (DVD)
This is a top quality DVD of a top quality production of an absolutely top quality story. Well done! The casting was particularly clever. When the BBC do something like this, and really get it right, there's nothing that can compare. Thoroughly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Emma 2009 BBC DVD, 2 Jan 2010
This review is from: Emma [DVD] (DVD)
The DVD arrived shortly after order. There was a problem with one of the two DVDs, which stuck about three quarters through. I returned it and it was replaced promptly. I am not a particular Jane Austen fan, but the BBC do these period dramas really well. I found the acting superb. The adaptation was brought up-to-date somewhat with the language and some of the body language, which some purists might criticise, but I thought it added to the enjoyment. I can thoroughly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly Charming, 14 Mar 2012
This review is from: Emma [DVD] (DVD)
Another great adaptation of one of my favourite JA novels - I liked the cast very much - setting and locations were perfect - I would most certainly recommened this dvd

4.0 out of 5 stars Delightful!, 9 Dec 2010
This review is from: Emma [DVD] (DVD)
I throughly enjoyed this version of Emma.
Romola and Johnny make a lovely Emma and Mr Knightly!
Romola brings a cheekiness to Emma that Gwyneth and Kate lacked.(That said, Gwyneth will always be my favourite 'Emma')

5.0 out of 5 stars A gift to the eyes, 21 Jun 2010
This review is from: Emma [DVD] (DVD)
This is un excellent version of this novel. I must underline the care that was taken to give us the best possible scenario and period recreation. It is perhaps a novel very much directed towards rural life, and beeing so difficult to adapt to cinema -the drama develops always in the same place. But it was very well done and the main characters are plausible.
Really very beautifull to look at.

‹ Previous | 110 11 12 | Next ›

Emma [DVD]
Emma [DVD] by Jim O'Hanlon (DVD - 2009)