5.0 out of 5 stars Spankingly fast and superb as always
I've used Norton before and never had a problem, so it was with no trepidation whatsoever that I took delivery of this latest version. And I was not disappointed.

Published on 29 Oct 2009 by Ash

2.0 out of 5 stars better out there.
Published on 8 Dec 2009 by Mad Saint Uden

5.0 out of 5 stars Spankingly fast and superb as always, 29 Oct 2009
Ash (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Norton Antivirus 2010 - 1 User 3 Computers (PC CD) (CD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

My laptop has been creaking a bit over the last 6 months or so, as its paltry 160GB HDD has become filled with useless programmes, a ton of MP3 files and the behemoth that is Microsoft Vista. But the thing that was slowing it down the most was my anti-virus, PC Guard, which was provided by Virgin Media (my ISP). This stupid programme takes 5 mins to get going from startup, and even takes a while when switching profiles, and it makes all the other programmes wait while it hauls its lazy butt out of its virtual bed. I was sick of it. Tellingly, a day before Norton was due to turn up, PC Guard curled up its toes and died, crashing my laptop and causing mayhem.

Anyway, once I got it uninstalled, I whacked in Norton. What a breath of fresh air! It took minutes to install, unobtrusively. It takes probably 30 - 60 secs to start up when I switch on, and runs quietly in the background. There are few pop-ups, and so far no demands for updates. Hurrah! I wanted to run a scan, and was pleased to find that there is now a Quick Scan option which conentrates its efforts on those areas of your HDD most likely to be infected. This was easy to find in the updated and accessible user interface. It completed the scan in a minute or so and identified 165 malicious cookies that the useless PC Guard had let through! It dealt with them ruthlessly. I couldn't be more pleased!

I think the lesson is, if you want a useable PC, get a well-known and well-respected bit of anti-virus software like Norton.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, effective and unnoticeable, 24 Oct 2009
Ok. There are, confusingly, THREE different Norton products available at the time of writing this: Norton Antivirus; Norton Internet Security; and Norton 360.

I'm already happy with my firewall protection and I have no need for extra identity protection. I have separate tools for keeping the computer running properly, and I have external disk drives for backup, so for me this program was the right choice.

Earlier this year I used McAfee, but a virus got through and destroyed the operating system on my machine - luckily I have a brother who was able to resurrect it after 8 hours of fiddling and taking it apart. I managed to get it off my other machine using a Symantec product specifically designed to remove that particular virus, so I was happy to choose their Norton antivirus program.

Norton has been on sale for years and has steadily got better year on year, and is so easy to understand when the menus come up that it's self-explanatory. It operates without slowing anything down and inspires confidence - it finds everything that is lurking in the murky depths and corners that some other products leave behind. It's the Domestos of the hard drive world!

Just to clear up what this has and doesn't have - it DOES (and I am quoting their website here):

- Protect against viruses, spyware, Trojan horses, worms, bots, and rootkits
- Provide continuous automatic protection against new threats
- Reduce scan time with smart scanning, so you can work and play uninterrupted
- Protect against web-based attacks that use vulnerabilities in your browser
- Protect against the latest threats with a proactive, multilayered protection system
- Prevent others from taking control of your PC and using it to attack other PCs
- Help secure and monitor your home network
- Automatically secures your PC when connecting to public wireless hotspots
- Give you access to full support via email, phone or voicechat
- Give you access to 'AutoFix' technology, which will diagnose and fix common problems for you.

It DOES NOT:

- Inspect websites to make sure they're not fakes
- Automatically detect, store, and secure passwords and personal information
- Guard against online identity theft
- Identify unsafe websites and suspicious sellers so you can surf and shop with confidence
- Protect valuable files from computer disaster
- Restore damaged or deleted files and folders
- Includes 2 GB of secured online storage service
- Automatically find and fixes problems that slow your computer
- Helps optimize PC performance by removing unwanted disk clutter and registry files
- Analyze your system and provides tips on how to keep your PC running smoothly

Norton Internet Security gives you the added internet control and security features, while the 360 package gives you all of the above.

It's a great product that is better than its ever been.

2.0 out of 5 stars better out there., 8 Dec 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
this is still very user friendly and most beginners can figure out what it's doing. But the virus database is not as thorough as others, or maybe not updated as quickly as others. Also it uses too much memory for my liking and slows the computer down. I have found that I've had to restore my pc since putting this on as some important windows files got corupt, i don't know if this was from norton's attempts to remove a virus or from a virus.

3.0 out of 5 stars AV update., 15 April 2010
Dave (Beds, UK.) - See all my reviews
Wanted to update my Norton AV 2005. Decided to stick with Norton, expecting modern products to be a big improvement.
Wanted full version, not upgrade. Bought CD. Installation instructions too light. Install failed. No mention of need to manually remove any AV currently on PC first. Tried Customer Support (still bad for Norton) and was sent nonexistent phone no. to call.
PC does appear somewhat quicker with this modern version. Still early days with it so I'm not proficient yet. User interface screens a little cluttered and uneasy to follow for a traditionalist, but pretty I guess for the younger user.
It's doing it's job and seems to work well enough. It picks up things 2005 had no idea of, as I expected / wanted, and works with my Firewall (Zone Alarm). I'd heard 2009 didn't so I waited for 2010.
I'm happy enough with it so far but their after sales and customer support still remains poor, especially as their products aren't cheap. For the price there are still holes that should have been filled in years ago.
I guess their fairly Corporate, so domestic sales aren't their strong point.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, just be aware of its boundaries, 19 Nov 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used Norton 360 in the past and was impressed by the comprehensive protection it offered without noticeable impact on PC performance. After dealing with many system resource hogs, Norton is refreshingly unintrusive, and AV 2010 is no different. It was a doddle to install, even on a rather aging laptop, and equally user-friendly on an even more decrepit desktop. The silent mode is invaluable - the software ticks over without the usual hourly alerts to trumpet its presence. I've found that the virus scan is even speedier than 360, and personally I prefer the comparatively pared down interface. I'm not sure I can recommend it over 360, though, when you take into account the full range of protections offered which are missing in this package. In particular, I think it's worth paying a little extra for the peace of mind that 360's backup utility offers, but for pure anti-virus protection, so far I can't find a fault with it. If you just require a more basic programme to keep your PC bogey-free, this is good value for money, especially as it offers coverage for 3 household PCs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but....not the best!, 1 Dec 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First of all, Norton will offer you great all round protection. Just looking at it from that point of view you won't find much better, but remember this is just Norton anti-virus and not the internet security suite.

Having said that however, there are plenty of other options that will provide you with equaly great protection, but many will also offer you better system performance. The problem with Norton (as has been the case for many years) is that it uses a lot of system resources and will inevitably slow down your system, and if you use an older machine this can be crippling :(

Of course, all security packages will slow your machine to some extent as it is in their nature but Norton always has been one of the worst, and despite efforts to improve on this factor, the problem is still here.

Having used Norton internet security suite 2010 for a few weeks I decided to give this a try and remove internet security and let windows 7 deal with the rest and I have to say there is a marked improvment due to this only being antivirus/spyware. It's still more resource intensive than many other options available but is certainly perfectly workable on a newer machine.

If you have a top of the range PC and are willing to pay the price, then yeah go ahead with Norton..but if you have an older machine or you don't want to fork out for the protection, their are plenty of other choices available, including some very comprehensive free options such as Avast and AVG.

Overall...not bad, but not the best either in protection or performance

4.0 out of 5 stars Good package, recommended!, 3 Nov 2009
Nigel R "Nigel R" (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've just de-installed the Norton 2010 Internet Security Suite which managed to render my PC virtually unusable. So, I was a little concerned that their 2010 Anti Virus would have a similar effect. Thankfully however, this is a great improvement. It loaded with no problems at all, and uses very little system resources. It's doing it's job quietly and effectively in the background, without slowing the PC down to a snails pace like the internet suite did. I've never run my PC solely on antivirus software before, usually opting for the more comprehensive Norton Internet Suite. However, this 2010 AV covers 99% of the problems I am likely to encounter, and I can always beef it up with some free Microsoft downloads. It's a shame that Norton can't manage to make the full security suite work as well as this AV software, but I can certainly recommend it as a standalone product. Since using Norton AV I have never had a serious problem. Sure, it can be a little over protective, but better safe than sorry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good!, 30 Oct 2009
Trip (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been using Norton 360 for the last few years, and although I was pretty happy with that, I started to tire of the poor interface and the inability to properly control the Backup aspect of it.

I installed Norton Antivirus 2010 on a fresh Windows 7 64-bit Professional installation, and it has been a revelation ever since. The installation was neat and fast, and daily operation is a silent background task that gives great peace of mind. It has the usual features you want from a security package and so much more. Download anything and its scanned and reported on immediately, right-click any file or folder to scan just that item, Live-update keeps the definitions up to date. I love it. It does what I need, its fast, its highly configurable and its unobtrusive when it should be.

As an added bonus it's a three-installation package, so cover your laptop, or kid's pc as well. I would strongly recommend Norton Antivirus 2010.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as well as 2009, 21 Oct 2009
I love New York (Not in New York) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Norton is my Internet security of choice. Has been for a few years now. I believe it is the best of what people seem to class as the big 3. I decided not to use Mcafee after a bad experience with them and still unsure about Kaspersky.

It installed quickly and no issues to date..

4.0 out of 5 stars Good All Round Virus Protection, 19 Nov 2009
Mr. T. S. James (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been a user of Norton Products in the past and can't fault them for ease of use and for being the best on the market.

I decided to purchase this for the 3 members of the family that are PC users and who don't have any adequate virus protection. Most had downloaded free anti-virus software but this hadn't done much good as the one PC had still contracted a virus and ended up losing a lot of data. This version of Norton Antivirus was perfect because it included use for up to 3 computers which is just what I was after.

As always the software was easy to install and setup and pretty much does everything for you. Easy to use, it lets you know of any viruses as soon as they are detected, allows you to schedule virus scans and other features.

A great product which has ensured that the 3 PC users in the household are now protected.

Norton Antivirus 2010 - 1 User 3 Computers (PC CD)
Norton Antivirus 2010 - 1 User 3 Computers (PC CD) by Norton from Symantec (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
Out of stock