5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Real Ale Kit
Published on 24 Jan. 2013 by Craig

1.0 out of 5 stars Gash
So every brewing kit I've used in the past has involved using a single tin of this syrup and usually a kg of sugar as well. This one said it didnt need sugar and I used the one tin thinking that for £30 you would get 2 brews out of this as I have done in the past.

Turns out you're supposed to use BOTH tins so ive ended up with a barrel of beer that's twice as...
Published 5 months ago by D WILLIAMS

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Real Ale Kit, 24 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Home Brew Ingredients - Real Ale - 40 Pint Homebrew Beer Kit (Kitchen & Home)
I purchased this kit after reading the reviews here. Wow, what an amazing homebrew. Great head, great taste, just like real ale should be! This beer has a nice hoppy aroma and bitter aftertaste that makes you come back for more. I would happily sell this real ale in a pub and at around 45-50p per pint (depending of where purchased. Wilko, Ebay or Amazon are good) you can't go wrong. I've made lots of beer kits in the past and this is one of the best. Some of the other kits tasted that poor, the only way to drink it was a shandy. I now normally extract brew and don't use kits, but this is one of the best.

For the best results use brewing sugar and condition the beer in a pressure barrel for at least 3 weeks (better in 4-5 weeks). You will also want to add a CO2 bulb after the first 20 pints (2.5 gallon) to keep the beer fresh and aid the dispensing. Temperature and water quality are also essential for the best beer; so if your local supply has loads of chlorine you should either: Purchase bottled water, boil the water before fermenting, filter using a brita filter etc or add a crushed Capdem tablet. You could even use it as a base brew and add your own hops to increase the flavour.

Just try not to drink it all immediately. I've only had it for 1 week and I've already had 20 pints.

Also remember home brewing is not just an old mans hobby. I'm 26, have been home brewing for years and brewed 10 gallons so far this year. Have fun, Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal gift, 25 Nov. 2012
R. Forse (Taunton, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I bought this for my Dads birthday so please note that I haven't used this myself, I am passing on his experience.

The cost means that this is incredible value (something like 60p a pint) and the results are good. You're not going to get the results of a more expensive home brewing set but for an 'all in one' you can't go far wrong.

It does need to be kept above a certain temperature so in the throws of winter, if your house is on the cold side you may want to wait until spring or summer.

The box is nicely packaged and everything feels secure in transit.

But you don't want to know about all that.......the taste is really good for a home brew, almost to the standard you would expect from a pub and that, along with the cost makes this a recommended purchase/gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Quality Pub Real Ale for 50p per Pint... Honest!!!, 15 Mar. 2011
Having been absent from home brewing for 20 years, my return to beer making has been interesting... I expected some small improvement in the quality of beer kits over that time, but was (initially) severely disappointed.
Having seen the reviews for Woodefordes Wherry, I (somewhat sceptically) decided to give this one a whirl. The brewery (Woodfordes) give you the exact same ingredients (in simple boiled down wort format) that they use to brew the same named beer distributed to their Norfolk pub trade. The brewing process also exactly mimics their own process, and if (apparently) you brew the beer & place it in a pressure barrel, you end up with essentially the same product... Yeah, yeah... OK... (or so I thought)...
Results: The kind of gorgeous well-balanced & hoppy bitter you would expect from the very best real-ale pub cellars.
This is NOTHING like home brew. At under 50p per pint (shop around) you will never spend £2.50 in a pub again!
No harder to brew than the simplest of kits (and sugar needn't be added either). Try once & never look back. Woodfordes do several other kits to represent their full range of commercial real ales too(which I can't comment on but MIGHT get around to trying although cannot imagine a better beer than this)! I have ordered several more!
SEVERELY recommended!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb. Hard to go wrong., 26 Oct. 2012
J. Bowers (Sussex UK) - See all my reviews
This is my third Wherry Brew. The last brew I added my own grown Fuggle hops (10 minute boil for hoppy flavour) and slightly more brown sugar. Wow.
Just so easy and fun. I've tried many kits in the past and all have promised but failed to deliver. This is just the best. Just add water and yeast brew for under a week, transfer to a pressure barrel (better than bottling) then, well, drink! Godd after 3 weeks, gorgeous after 6. One tip if using a barrel, buy a pressuring system so the beer stays fresh and lively until the last drop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 8 Dec. 2012
I have now made two Wherry kits and one Nog kit from Woodfordes. They are both outstanding in my opinion. They are the best kits i have found yet and produce a better beer than is served in their Norfolk pubs i believe.
They are easy to make although do take noticably longer to ferment and settle than other cheaper kits i have tried, but well worth the wait. I have now stocked up with two more Wherry kits and see no point in risking anything else. Worth shopping around, checkout Wilkinsons too for special offers!
Cheers!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Real Ale, 13 July 2011
K. Staden - See all my reviews
LIke the earlier reviewers here I returned to home brewing after a long absence. Goodness me, a lot has changed over the years! The Woodfordes kits, along with other companies, supply you with not one but two large tins of wort, thus eliminating the need for any sugar. Simply put the contents of both cans in the bucket, add some boiling water, top up with cold add the yeast and wait for a week. put the contents in a pressure barrel, wait around three weeks (longer is better..... but harder!!) and what a fantastic pint you get. It smells like ale, and tastes like it to. A revelation.

So why only 4 stars... Simple, Woodfordes make other kits as well as Wherry, and the others are actually even better! Try the Nog and you will understand my score.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 23 Mar. 2012
White Tea (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This is a truly fantastic kit, producing an amazingly good bitter that nobody I know could tell from a high quality shop-bought product. I would go so far as to say that I've rarely tasted such a good beer, bottled or draught, it's that good. I dry-hopped mine with some Fuggles for a more hoppy aroma and it worked a treat. Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great homebrew which impresses the expert in blind tasting, 10 Aug. 2013
I bought Woodforde's Wherry on the back of 4 previous attempts to make Homebrew bought from kits made by other manufacturers. The beer made previously had tasted good but all 4 batches seemed to suffer from a cloudy appearance.

By contrast, Woodforde's Wherry not only tasted great but also looked like real ale (with no sediment or bits of unspent yeast floating in its midst).

I have a friend who works as an independent examiner for FE Colleges assessing coursework done by student chefs. He also manages a free house real ale pub - so he knows far more than I do about people's expectations as to the taste and appearance of beer. I got him to wear a blindfold and asked him to compare my homebrew with a Bank's bitter which had been bought in ASDA for an equivalent of £1.80 per pint.

With the blindfold on, the two beers produced a very different reaction from him. Woodforde's was "full strength" (he thought it was 4.2-4.5 abv), smooth and rich in flavours whereas the Banks' was medium strength (he correctly guessed it was 3.5 abv) and bland. With the blindfold removed, his comments of the beers was equally encouraging with the Homebrew being just as clear as the commercial pint. He said he could serve the homebrew in his pub and charge full price for it whereas his customers would complain about the Banks's.

So there you have it, Woodforde's produce a beer which can be made at home and pass professional scrutiny. Regarding the homebrew made previously from the 2 other brands, the temperature in my kitchen may not have been as consistently high as it was when I made the Woodforde's . Recently, the weather has been exceptionally warm, so the room temperature always exceeded 16 degrees throughout the initial fermentation period of 10 days. Secondly, after decanting the fermented beer from the mixing bucket into a plastic settling barrel, I added a teaspoon of sugar to encourage the bacteria to eat all the final traces of yeast and then I left it completely alone to go on holiday for 2 weeks. Patience is certainly a good homebrewer's greatest virtue!

5.0 out of 5 stars Most enjoyable, 18 Jun. 2012
Over the years I've tried quite a few kits but this is by far my favourite. It tastes like a decent real ale, and, as far as you follow the simple instructions included, you're almost guaranteed success.
The only problem I had with it was entirely my fault when I placed the fermenting beer in too cold a room which stopped it too early and left it with an unpalatable yeasty tang.Obviously the cold had killed the yeast. As long as you're not as daft as to do that then happy drinking; responsibly of course.

5.0 out of 5 stars What beer is all about, 8 Mar. 2012
This is what all real ale pubs should aim for, you couldn't get better. As said previously, unwrap, ferment, bottle or barrel, wait.
The last part is the only difficult bit. Absolutely 1st class!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›