5.0 out of 5 stars Very good noise reducing headphones
These headphones produce a great sound - clear with depth for bass, nice treble too. I have used these on many flights and they do reduce the airplane noise quite dramatically. I even got my girlfriend to test them on a flight and she didnt think they would work until she put them on. She didnt want to give them back for the rest of the flight!

They also...
Published on 8 July 2010 by T. Hayman

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointing performance
Published on 27 Sept. 2009 by K. Martinez

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointing performance, 27 Sept. 2009
K. Martinez "kirk" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: JVC HA-NCX78 In Ear Noise Cancelling Headphones with Monitor, Adaptor and Case (Electronics)
These headphones do not appear to produce much sound at low frequencies at all - leading to a base-less tinny sound. Added to that they do not seem to do much active noise cancelling - most of the external noise blocking is due to the foam surround. On normal active noise cancelling headphones you can hear a positive difference between on/off - with these there is little difference. I also tested them in an plane with similar results. Not recommended at all!

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 3 Oct. 2009
R. Deakin "RD1" (UK) - See all my reviews
What a waste of money! The sound is tinny and lacks depth. The noise reduction produces virtually no noticeable difference when it is switched on. I'm reverting back to my cheap Pansonic headphones which were a fraction of the price and deliver a much better sound quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good noise reducing headphones, 8 July 2010
T. Hayman "Thomas" (London) - See all my reviews

They also work at reducing noise on trains, in the office etc. if you really want to drown out the peripheral sounds. My office is very noisey with fans, computers, etc. so I put these on and even at half volume I can't hear my phone ring.

Altogether a great buy, the only thing is that the detachable soft ear loop's can fall off (they are meant to but you can lose them) but this is a very minor problem, if a problem at all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Expensive - no spare parts available, 2 Nov. 2010
The earphones work well enough but the snap on ear pieces are loose fitting. JVC will not supply spares so the headphones are then un-useable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item well worth the money, 6 July 2014
Bought this as can be upsetting for other people to listen what you are listening to. Hardly any noise comming from ear plugs.

2.0 out of 5 stars DOES NOT DO WHAT IT SAYS ON THE LABEL, 11 Oct. 2013
THEY FIT REASONBLY WELL BUT THAT IS ABOUT IT.THE SOUND QUALITY IS TINNY AND DOES NOT EQUAL THE QUALITY OF OTHER IN EAR HEADPHONES I HAVE HALF THE PRICE OF THESE.THE NOISE CANCELLING IS SLIGHT IF ANY.

4.0 out of 5 stars For on the motorbike., 31 July 2013
They don't stop wind noise but they do make the sound somewhat clearer. Comfortable and stay put under my helmet.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not worth full price, but if you can get a very good deal, 24 Feb. 2013
The contradict some earlier reviews: Noise cancelling does work and the Base is OK but not great.
I imagine some people are struggling to get the exact right fit in their ears. I had quite a struggle to find the right fit, and when the fit wasn't quite right, the noise cancelling and the base were bad. JVC aren't helping by not supplying Ear Bud spares or pointers to third party alternatives. I think the weak point is the Ear Buds.
They can be worn under Motorcycle Helmets, but they're too quiet for safe use in other areas. The noise Monitor button isn't much use in my opinion, so you'll be obliged to remove the ear buds if you want to hear properly.
Overall the sound is not bad, but I've heard better from cheap ear phones. I'm happy with the purchase because they were cheap and they fit under my helmet, but next time I'll go for Passive Noise isolation Ear Buds, which are more suitable for my small ear canals.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price, 15 Feb. 2013
I picked these up at around the £15 and for the money, they're great.
There's a lot of feedback about there being not much bass from these headphones. As with all earbuds of this type, you really do need to make sure that they're fitted into your ear properly, especially with these ones.

The earbuds aren't the most comfortable I've ever had, but I use them daily for about 4-5 hours without too much difficulty. My main problem comes from the noise cancelling unit, which, because it has a battery in there can be a little heavy when I forget to clip it to my shirt. The wire from the headphone also works best when you hook it over the top of your ear and around the back, you even get a pair of clips in the box to make this easier.

When you fit these into your ears correctly, they do a really god job of isolating a lot of external sound. Without the noise cancelling turned on, they do a good job of blocking out quite a lot of office background noise. When you turn the noise cancelling on it takes out a little bit more of the background noise, it also seems to add a bit more to the bass and treble, which is nice. The noise cancelling did an especially good job on a car journey, where a lot of the background noise was cut right down. This meant that I could listen to my podcasts at a much lower volume (better for my ears in the long run!)

I also like that the noise cancelling unit has a 'monitor' button. When you have noise cancelling on, and press the button, it will mute whatever you're listening to, and turn off the noise cancelling. This is handy when someone is trying to talk to you as is means you can hear them without having to hook an earpiece out. The battery (supplied in the box) has lasted for a couple of weeks of daily use and is still going. It's good to know that you can use the headphones without a battery if you don't need noise cancelling on.

The jack plug stands out a little way and has a right angle bend in it (well almost right angle) this means it does stand out a little way, which might not be so great if you're trying to keep it plugged in while it's in a pocket, but what I did like is that the jack plug is narrow enough at the end to allow me to plug in into my phone, which has a chunky case.

For the money I paid, I can't really fault these headphones.

2.0 out of 5 stars Almost nill effect, 31 Dec. 2012
Mr. "luc" (LONDON, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I can't see how this is in any way noise cancelling. Yes it takes a battery, yes it has an on-off switch, yes it has a light... but I don't see any sign of a mic for the noise cancelling to work and in any case the noise level change is almost undetectable... exrept that a slight hiss is ADDED when switched on. Other than that they are fine, and comfortable. Batteries seem to last a very long time too... I wonder why.