1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not perfect, 25 Sep 2009
PJ Rankine (Wallington, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sony - BDP-S560 - Blu-Ray disc player - Upscaling - black (Electronics)
So here is the newest Sony blu-ray player and yet again they've just missed the target. I have been waiting for this ever since I first heard about it and bought it to replace the Sony BDP-S350. Once again it has a small footprint which affects how you stack it and it still has a slightly loose power lead socket. I use a premium lead rather than the Sony one and that still wobbles about a bit. The HDMI socket is a snug fit though. No complaints about picture and sound quality but also no difference. The big difference inside is the inclusion of wireless LAN which found mine and a couple of neighbours' networks easily enough but inputting the WEP key via the interface was a pain. Once online the system recognised straight away that the firmware was up to date. Setup includes the facility to detect updates and notify you. The new remote however is not an improvement. It's about 2/3 the size of the old one and doesn't look as nice. If this is your first Sony remote you won't know what I'm complaining about but this is not as good as the old one. This player replaces the 550 and that had backlighting, not this boy. It also doesn't have an 'eject' button. I read on another review that that's no big deal because you have to approach the player to take the disc out, true but the new eject button on the player isn't as ergonomic as the previous one. I used to just tap that with my toe, now I have to bend down and push it with my finger. Aesthetically there isn't much difference, this model has gained a cool blue light in the top centre of the facia and a WLAN lights up when used. Gone is the bright blue lamp indicating 24P playback. Setup is as good as always. There is a USB socket on the front for showing your pictures on your tv and you can also do this via your wireless network but I haven't tried yet. Setup shows you can do this as a slide show. Guess I'll save that for a rainy day. If you shop around you can get this in multiplayer for DVD. So to summarise, good but not perfect, only upgrade if you want the WLAN.