5.0 out of 5 stars Moving with the times

Published on 4 Feb 2011 by D. E. Mcgill

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving with the times, 30 Dec 2009
C. Uglow (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yeah Ghost (Cd Album) (Audio CD)
Music is a very personal and subjective thing which is why I take most reviews with a pinch of salt but I felt I should redress the balance with this album as it doesn't appear to have got the recognition it deserves. Yeah Ghost isn't like Simple Things and it shouldn't be. Artists become boring and predictable if they don't develop but when they do, many fans deplore them.

This album has real depth and introspection, and marks a very exciting new direction into the next decade. Even so, it is still Zero 7 at its core, you just have to look a bit deeper. I was quite disappointed with Air's new album, Love 2, as I really enjoyed Pocket Symphony (more so than Zero 7's The Garden) and I think they have gone backwards by trying to remake Moon Safari.

If you're wanting more of Simple Things or When It Falls then go and listen to them again. If you want to enjoy even more great music sit down and listen to this with an open mind. Those who do will be rewarded.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beyond awful, 4 Feb 2011
This review is from: Yeah Ghost (MP3 Download)
I love and still listen to Zero 7's first two albums. I started to go off them when they released their third album The Garden which I listened to it a few times however it just didn't appeal to me unlike the first two. Their fourth album sounds absolutely terrible, a complete change in style yet dreadful. I'm open to artists following alternative routes yet this album is something I flicked through once and muttered a few expletives at in the process. The songs were so bad that I couldn't even listen to them in full. Go back to what you do best guys.

1.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly bad, 18 Dec 2010
P. Paintin (GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yeah Ghost (Cd Album) (Audio CD)
Another who likes the previous albums but strongly dislikes this one. How could it all have gone so horribly wrong?

5.0 out of 5 stars I have been a fan of Zero 7 for a long time.. and I am even more now!, 7 April 2010
A. Miller - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yeah Ghost (Cd Album) (Audio CD)
There has been a lot of bad press about this album, and when I started listening to it, I did think it was very different from the previous albums. But it definitely is a grower. I absolutely love it now, and I prefer it even to the previous ones! Its a lot more up beat, and so many of the songs I absolutely love and cant help dancing to! Its up there with my favourite albums now, so give it a chance, you never know!

2.0 out of 5 stars There's a clear difference for me., 25 Oct 2012
Ben (Hertfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yeah Ghost (Cd Album) (Audio CD)
For me, there is a clear difference between Yeah Ghost, and Zero 7's previous three albums.

The reason I love Zero 7 is that all the music on their first three albums is, whether sublimely chilled or more upbeat, soulful, exotic, warm, summery, relaxing, enchanting, emotional, and lavished with layers of soaking wet electronica goodness for the ears. I was a bit torn over The Garden at first, but when I gave it a chance, I found the upbeat stuff to work, because it still had those lovely warm qualities that make Zero 7 my go-to band for a summer soundtrack.

You can tell where I'm going with this can't you? The album cover says it all.

Yeah Ghost is comparatively cold, haunting, unsettling, dry and startling. There are some catchy tracks such as Mr. McGee and Everything Up (Zizou), and there is also Swing and Pop Art Blue which are a little cheerier and warm the album up slightly, but in general, Yeah Ghost strips Zero 7 of everything I love about them and leaves behind what sounds like a very self-indulgent album of experimental sound engineering that doesn't really flow as an album or leave me wanting more of the same.

I'm not saying Zero 7 should go back to their roots. I liked The Garden. They can do upbeat, they can do soul, they can do jazz, they can probably do rock, they can tell stories, they can have fun. I hope their next album continues to explore other ideas. All I ask is that they get back their signitaure warmth, because it's that that keeps me coming back one summer after another.

1.0 out of 5 stars What were they thinking?, 8 Mar 2010
This review is from: Yeah Ghost (Cd Album) (Audio CD)
My husband and I have been a massive fans of every different incarnation of Zero 7 'Since simple things.' I even walked down the isle to 'Somersault', so as you can imagine we had eagerly awaited the (late) release of 'Yeah Ghost'. Though some of their albums are instantly brilliant, the growers quickly reach the same status after a few listens. Unfortunately, this album sounds like it was written back in the late '90s. With Basement Jaxx vocals, and self indulgent interludes even 'Fat Freddy's Drop' couldn't get away with, we sadly resigned the album to the recycle bin and flogged our long looked forward to, Roundhouse gig tickets.
What were they thinking?

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing!, 28 Sep 2009
This review is from: Yeah Ghost (Cd Album) (Audio CD)
I was so excited about the release of their new album and after I heard it I couldn't believe my ears. This album is awful....I have no other words to describe it. It sounds like they just can't be bothered so why release an album so mediocre. I guess most people have high expectations from these guys but I think they have really lost it now.

1.0 out of 5 stars It's not a "new direction", "inspired", "different" - it's DULL, 18 Feb 2010
This review is from: Yeah Ghost (Cd Album) (Audio CD)
I think people are trying to make excuses just because it's Zero 7. We all love their first two albums, who doesn't, they are sublime. The Garden really split people, I hated it, some were indifferent - but at least it had a sound and a spark and some consistency. It was very different to the first 2 but in an understandable way. But this - this is just LAZY! It's short, it's boring, it's self-indulgent. Nothing stands out, everything is listless, continuous and DULL! IT'S JUST TERRIBLE!

I challenge the positive reviewers here: if you were given this, and told it was written by a pair of sound engineers who no one had ever really heard of, you would dismiss it for pretentious nonsense with no musicality, life or vibe at all.

The real debate should be on why the last 2 albums have so lost their way: and whether the duo, as their input has increased (Binns on vocals?!), have shown themselves to be not so talented after all... won't stop me loving simple things and when it falls, but it does make you wonder about who really made those albums to be what they are.

1.0 out of 5 stars Deeply disappointed, 13 Nov 2009
Kukua Darko "Kuks" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yeah Ghost (Cd Album) (Audio CD)
I have been a fan since the days of Simple Things, and am therefore a big fan of the original vocalists, Sia Furler and Sophie Barker. I also thought that Tina Dico and Jose Gonzales both worked well on the second and third albums but the style of Yeah Ghost is so far from what Zero 7 stand for. The chillout/ambient sound has completely gone and they have replaced it with something, perhaps, they thought was more popular. But it's just awful! I can't even think of one track on there that I would say I like. A strange coincidence that Air's "Love 2" has also come out recently - I much prefer and would recommend that. And I also feel like I wasted my money on gig tickets. Their gig on 9th October at the RoundHouse, London was possibly THE worst gig I have ever been to, bar none. So bad, that we left after 30 mins.

Thoroughly disappointed. After waiting three years for the release of the CD, I was really expecting something special, but Yeah Ghost is far from that. Let's hope Sia doesn't disappoint too with whatever she brings out next.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, 29 Sep 2009
This review is from: Yeah Ghost (Cd Album) (Audio CD)
Well 'Simple Things' it isn't - but then not many things are to be honest. I've listened to this CD a few times and I quite like it. It is, er, okay! To me it follows in much the same vein as 'When It Falls' and 'The Garden' - some changes for sure, but hardly radical. One gripe though - 45 minutes playing time is rather stingy for a CD these days!

ARRAY(0xa6b55864)

Yeah Ghost (Cd Album)
Yeah Ghost (Cd Album) by Zero 7 (Audio CD - 2009)