4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but far from perfect
Printer - photo prints are excellent as long as you use Epson glossy photo paper. Tried using HP paper and each photo had the same striped markings (presumably from the roller that carries the paper through the printer) - this paper worked well in my old Epson Picturemate.

Published on 26 Aug 2010 by DC

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for home but not the office
I work from home so wanted a real home office printer that was quick and reliable.

It started well and was easy to set up (despite the reviews to the contrary) and the print quality is generally very good.
Published on 23 Jun 2010 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for home but not the office, 23 Jun 2010
This review is from: Epson Stylus SX610FW All In One Printer (Individual Inks, Integrated Wi-fi, Fax and ADF) (Electronics)

However the cartridges are very small so they only last me about one to two weeks(the last epson printer I had the larger cartridges they lasted about 2 months to give you some comparison!)So as a home office printer it is not really up to the job despite its advertizing.

The other thing I seem to have to keep doing is head cleaning (which also wastes ink) as I get a lot of problems with lines. When it prints well it is really good and the colour production is very accurate, but it is quite unreliable.

I also wanted to load photo cards into the reader in the printer as an external drive- but it doesnt work with Vista - be warned!

Would I buy another one? - probably not I am afraid - despite having always been a fan of epson :o(

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but far from perfect, 26 Aug 2010

Scanner - scanned images are reasonable but not as good as those produced by the Epson V500 scanner.
Also, anything thicker than (approx.) 1cm and the lid doesn't close flat.
The ADF is a complete waste of space. Documents that are smaller than A4 can become distorted and the slightest bit of dirt on the scanner glass can cause streaks in the scan result, noticable more in photos. Glad I didn't buy this printer especially for it.

Both printer and scanner work perfectly well over the wireless network, though not as fast as using a USB cable. Network setup was painless and took less than 2 minutes to input the settings manually.
The "Scan to PC" feature only works over USB.

Memory cards inserted into the reader can be made accessible to a connected PC over USB or a network share. You can also plug in a USB stick (formatted as FAT32).

One point to note is that this printer can use the high capacity ink cartridges - T1001, T1002, T1003 and T1004 (multipack T1006) instead of the "recommended" cartridges that come with the printer. I believe standard capacity black cartridges (T0711) have approx 7ml of ink whereas the high capacity T1001 has 25.9ml).

Overall, an excellent photo printer using Epson paper and an acceptable scanner. Just forget the ADF.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good all rounder, 26 Aug 2010
Just bought this printer to replace a tired old HP machine.
On unpacking found the machine to be sleek and stylish, a little larger than i thought it might be but that's not an issue for me.
Set-up was very easy and clear in a step-by-step manner.
I had two computers to connect wirelessly to this printer - a desktop running XP and a laptop running Vista Home Premium so was expecting trouble. However decided on desktop first and this was easy - make sure you have your printer close enough to your PC to connect the initial USB cable (supplied) when doing the setup plus your SSID and password for your router. From start to finish approx 15 mins. installation time.
The laptop (Vista) was even easier - just needed the install disk, found the printer on the wireless network straight away, didn't ask for SSID or password, no USB cable connection - simple max. 5 mins.

Printing quality excellent, photo quality superb.

Overall at this price will take some beating.

As for the ink, a quick search online and bought compatibles 4 x each of Black, Magenta, Cyan and Yellow plus 4 free Black, so 20 cartridges in total for £18.99 including first class Royal Mail delivery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epson Stylus SX610FW printer, 29 Jun 2010
This is the best printer that I have ever owned and it gets full marks from me, nice and easy to use and stylish.

4.0 out of 5 stars epson sx610fw, 31 May 2010
L. Beese (Leeds, West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
very disapointed that there was no support to install on a windows 7 laptop. The epson website wasn't very helpful. I had to email Epson technical support directly to get help. When finally installed the printer is just what I wanted - a fast wireless printer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great peice of kit for the home and for all the family, 8 Jun 2010
Mrs. J. C. Jones (London) - See all my reviews
The reviews were not helpful as it stated the set up of the WiFi was difficult. I didn't find that to be the case and bought this because my friend had one in her home and it is so much more advanced than my last Epson printer. The whole family can use the printer from around our home, its fast reliable and the quality is very good. Copying and scanning is very easy too.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Disaster, Avoid, 16 Sep 2011
I am a computer literate person and welcomed the opportunity to have an all in one printer w/fax. I think the printing quality of this device is comparable to others in the price range, and I like the document feed for faxing, copying, and scanning, which is much more convenient than the flatbed option.

My main criticism, and it is a big one, is the sporadic interface with my computer and the very complicated method of doing some simple like copying or scanning. I can be in the middle of printing (over my wifi network) when suddenly I receive the message of communication error. Sometimes trying again works, sometimes not, but the point is that this should not be happening. I cannot tell you how many times I have sat waiting for the printer to be recognised by the computer, something never before experienced. I believe there are serious problems with the Epson software for this device and would not recommend it for that reason.

And did I mention that it is really not very good looking? I think that is important, and until we the consumers start demanding better design we will not get it. Have you seen the new Lexmark?

I hope this is helpful to you in making your choice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast Printing, 26 May 2010
My boyfriend had trouble installing the printer on the WIFI, but once I read the instructions it was easy to install using the CD software.

Prints reliably from all over the house, sometimes it takes the signal a while to get to the printer because of it's distance from our router.

The prints are fast and fantastic quality. Very happy with our purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars Epsom Stylus Printer SX610FW, 21 Sep 2011
Robert R. Emmerson "Bob Reads" (Hartlepool UK.) - See all my reviews
Both my son & I bought this model. & after going into hospital for several weeks, leaving the printer switched on, it would no longer print on Black, my son went to Afganistan & when he returned he had the same problem, no amount of head cleaning would fix them, & our local Epsom repair shop also failed to repair them, after 13 months of use.

5.0 out of 5 stars From the person that doesnt do reviews, 28 April 2011
E. Ching (Crete, Greece) - See all my reviews
I dont do reviews and I dont give 5 stars! Thats how good this printer is. Of course it is all comparable. I had a canon for 14 months before it finally broke, thank goodness. Never buy a Canon, they have an awkward layout, are noisy, slow and the printing is rubbish

Anyway enough about Canon, you want to know about the Epson SX610FW. It is only fair to mention that I have not used the fax and I dont print photos so cant comment

Firstly, Its a sexy looking beast and I like good looks, call me superficial. The control panel is clear with a bright and user friendly LCD. There is one simple button to select Copy, Print, Fax or Scan. A large clear start and stop button for copying offers simplicity where it is required. It is easy to select colour or B&W, a very under rated tool.

Scanning is a breeze. Its fast and not too noisy. Warm up times from cold take 20 seconds or so, but thats ok for me, especially when you see the quality. Fantastic

Copying is easy on this printer. Simply select copy, A4 and start. Who would have thought it. Quality in B&W and colour beats my Canon hands down.

Looks pretty but broke down after 3 months. Avoid

Printing documents etc is the best. Its so fast it practically gives me conanary failure when the printer kicks in. It is initially a little noisy, but I dont want to marry it, I just need a good quality print and that it delivers. The grain for B&W prints has the quality of the average laser printer. Colour printing is not quite as good as a laser but close enough. Colours look balanced and not overly bright

The wireless was easy to set up and works OK for a few prints, a bit too slow if youre writing a book

The cartridges seem to last well. Part of the reason I opted out of the excellent HP printers is Epsons ability to have alternative cartridges, a much cheaper option, and in my book just as good.

Overall, for me a fantastic bit of kit that prints and copy's beatifull reports and has enough detail in the scanner to scan photos in to PC. Its good to look at, cheap to run, if a bit noisy when the printer kicks into life.

*****************WARNING IF YOUR OS IS WINDOWS 7************

For some reason the scanner driver doesnt download into windows 7. You need to go to the Epson website, select Support then SX610FW. Download the driver for the whole machine, not just the scanner. Thats makes it only a 4.9!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›