5.0 out of 5 stars hey rock n roll the very best of showaddywaddy
this group were very underated they were not a joke group but a brilliant rock n roll outfit trying to bring the classic songs upto date and with a new twist on them most of the classics are on this cd just enjoy it
Published on 17 April 2012 by R. Reeves

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK album for memories of days gone by....
I do like having Showaddywaddy tracks come on when my iPod touch is on Shuffle but I got a little bored when listening to the entire album. Great memories of those school disco days or dodgy DJ's playing them at weddings back in the day but a bit sammie if you play the entire album. It could have done with being half the size with just the top hits included but for those...
Published on 21 Jan 2011 by Mr. S. Newbury

5.0 out of 5 stars hey rock n roll the very best of showaddywaddy, 17 April 2012
R. Reeves "roysie" (uk) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Great reminiscing, 2 Jan 2013
This review is from: Hey Rock N' Roll The Very Best Of Showaddywaddy (Audio CD)
Lots of fun well known tunes, took me back to my childhood. Cds were a bit of a muddle to download onto mp3 but all good now. Happy times

5.0 out of 5 stars rock and roll will never die, 2 Feb 2014
This review is from: Hey Rock N' Roll The Very Best Of Showaddywaddy (Audio CD)
i just love the real rock and roll sound of the 50's and early 60's.if you are a fan too, then this album is for you too.showaddywaddy have a unique way of dragging the old hits into the 70's yet still able to keep them sounding at if they came from eras of yesteryears.great stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars WAP WAP Ooooh..., 27 Dec 2009
This review is from: Hey Rock N' Roll The Very Best Of Showaddywaddy (Audio CD)
If you only ever buy one Showaddywaddy cd then this should be the one. Includes no less than 25 tracks to round up all of their UK hit singles between 1974 and 1982 (10 top 10 hits, 9 of these top 5) along with a few other little gems that didn't chart `Take me in your arms' and the B side to Hey Rock and Roll (which was their first UK chart single reaching no 2) `You will lose your love tomorrow'. The band was formed in 1973 by the amalgamation of two groups, Choise and The Golden Hammers. This led to an eight member band, with the unusual feature of having two vocalists, a couple of drummers and two bassists. Whilst quite a few bands pursued a similar musical path, Rubettes, Darts, Rocky Sharpe and the Replays to name a few, none lasted the pace whereas Showaddywaddy just seemed to go on forever. Wap Wap Ooooh.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yessss, 2 Oct 2013
This review is from: Hey Rock N' Roll The Very Best Of Showaddywaddy (Audio CD)
The lads at their best, Dave Bartram @ his best, sad he cant lead them now but at his day he was a truly great RnR lead singer. Thanks for all the Happy memories - - - at concerts when you hear the Dam buster theme you know a great show is to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's got what it takes to satisfy. But, for heaven's sake, be careful!, 10 Aug 2014
Hal Marshall "Battling For My Ex-Wife's Heart..." (From a Suitably Safe Distance!) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hey Rock N' Roll The Very Best Of Showaddywaddy (Audio CD)
So, I finally got around to buying another copy of this highly recommended 2-disc product, my previous one having gone the way of so many of my other most treasured possessions... into my ex-wife's clutches. Most of the stuff she grabbed hold of I'm convinced she didn't even want: and, unbelievably, I am fairly certain this product falls into that category. What can I say? The woman clearly has no taste whatsoever.

Then again, it is just possible that she might have kept this for purely sentimental reasons. It's not very likely, but it is possible. After all, we used to listen to this together during the later years of our marriage. Those were the later years when we had very little to say to each other. It's a great shame this compilation wasn't released until 2009, 'cause I daresay it would have helped us a lot during those early years of our marriage when we had very little to say to each other either.

I love the way they've made the first track on here 'Under The Moon Of Love'. It's a fantastically energetic number and manages to stay romantic but without being SO romantic that your wife gets the wrong idea about why you've just shoved it on the CD player. Speaking as a man ('Huh - allegedly'... as my ex-wife would no doubt put it), the phrase 'Let's walk, let's talk under the moon of love...' should leave a woman in no doubt as to how many clothes you still expect to be wearing by the end of your Showaddywaddy listening experience. It probably won't make any difference, but at least you've tried. After that, you've got the perfect excuse to just grab your dancing shoes and trample all over the bunions of your partner.

No? Oh well, that must just be me then.

A word of warning for you gentlemen though: it's just possible that by the time 'Dancin' Party' comes around, you'll be having such a blast that you'll have let your guard down and will thus be completely unprepared for what comes next - 'You Got What It Takes'. Lip synching along to that while you're in the company of a somewhat volatile opponent (sorry, did I say 'opponent'? I meant 'partner', of course...) could conceivably see your head cleaved clean off your shoulders. I know the basic premise of the song is that the object of the singer's affections is the best thing since sliced bread, despite his insinuation that she drives a Ford Escort, resembles the back end of a bus and has to fish around down the back of the sofa in search of beer money, but YOU try getting away with that with your average lady. Go on, I dare you. It'll be no good playing 'Heavenly' straight afterwards and trying to get round her that way, not if my own experiences are anything to go by.

So much so, that I don't think I had ever actually sat and listened to all thirty six songs before. I was always able to enjoy the rest of CD1 on my own, my ex-wife usually having stormed off to lock herself in the bedroom and call her mother. Oh, I always knew I'd have to do something to placate her pretty sharpish, but that never used to stop me putting CD2 on before I did so. 'A Little Bit Of Soap' is perhaps my most favourite tune on here and one that brings a little lump to my throat even now (I'm grieving the loss of my original copy of this, that's all - honest). It's also a track I always used to listen to on the assumption that it might very well be the last thing I ever heard in this lifetime. Then, I would go and try to undo the damage that 'You Got What It Takes' and I had so effortlessly inflicted.

Most of those other 17 songs would pass by pretty much unnoticed, what with my former wife (and her mother) telling me my fortune, me running through my escape plans, and the fact that a lot of them are not really TRULY memorable. By the time we got to Track 33, '(You've Got)Personality' though, I would be desperate just to get her mother off the line. And serenading a beautiful woman with that song is an awful lot safer than taking your chances with 'You Got What It Takes'. Or, at least, it always appeared so at the time. That lyric though, 'What more can I do?' does - and did - have some very unpleasant connotations and always seemed to be the signal for my former wife to shed most of her clothes and to take a fair few of mine along with them. Still, at least it got rid of her mother. At least, I sincerely HOPE it did.

I was pleased to discover that there are no signs of any post-traumatic stress upon listening to this music now. The first disc is a consistently entertaining and toe-tapping delight although, if you ask me, that second disc does, if anything, rather over-egg the Showaddywaddy greatest hits pudding. Still, better to have too much of a good thing than to be left feeling unsatisfied, that's my motto.

Mind you, I'm not so sure I ever gave my ex-wife grounds to be able to agree with that...

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock'n'roll revivalists, 3 Jun 2014
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hey Rock N' Roll The Very Best Of Showaddywaddy (Audio CD)
Showaddywaddy hail from Leicestershire, not generally regarded as a hotbed of musical talent, though there have been other artists, Kasabian among them, who also come from Leicestershire. Showaddywaddy began their career writing their own material and this yielded four UK top twenty hits, their debut single (Hey rock'n'roll) peaking at number two in 1974 while the next three (Rock'n'roll lady, Hey Mr Christmas, Sweet music) all peaked in the teens.

For their next single, Showaddywaddy covered Three steps to heaven (Eddie Cochran). This became their second number two hit and the first of several major hits with covers of rock'n'roll oldies, the other UK top ten hits being Heartbeat, Under the moon of love (a number one hit), When, You got what it takes, Dancing party, I wonder why, A little bit of soap and Pretty little angel eyes. After 1978, their fortunes declined gradually. They had a further eight UK hits between 1979 and 1982 but none of them made the top
ten.

This double CD includes some previously unreleased recordings, including a cover of 2-4-6-8 Motorway (Tom Robinson Band). I always liked that song although Tom Robinson took his career in a different musical direction after that, so I only ever bought his version of 2-4-6-8 Motorway as a single. I am therefore very pleased to have Showaddywaddy's cover, even though I slightly prefer the original.

Critics (who probably include Tom Robinson) didn't like their music at all, but the British public bought their records in vast quantities. The problem for the critics was that Showaddywaddy were something of a lightweight group who presented rock'n'roll in a semi-easy listening style. Of course this doesn't suit everybody but a lot of people didn't know the songs in their original form. Some of them, including Under the moon of love, hadn't charted in Britain at all before Showaddywaddy recorded them. In any case, music is meant to be fun and that's what Showaddywaddy provided.

If you want authentic rock'n'roll, buy the original artists. If you just want entertaining music that sounds like rock'n'roll, you might enjoy the music of Showaddywaddy. While I generally prefer the original stuff, I like Showaddywaddy too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 25 Mar 2014
This review is from: Hey Rock N' Roll The Very Best Of Showaddywaddy (Audio CD)
Great value, and great music. This is a "must buy" for Rock 'n' Roll fans. Many say that you can't beat the original recordings. That may be true, but to hear this sound, a modern recording in stereo is fantastic.

4.0 out of 5 stars shorter would of been better, 21 Oct 2010
This review is from: Hey Rock N' Roll The Very Best Of Showaddywaddy (Audio CD)
In truth, this is a rehash of the 2005 album (same name, different cover) with a load of lesser known tracks added on. The first 25 tracks are exactly as before. And the rest? Well, some are fine. but certainly, one or two are nothing more than stocking filler tracks.

On the plus side, every charted track in included in the first 25 tracks, so the album is good value for this alone. With the rest, shorter would of been better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 July 2014
Have loved these forever, great to have it available On my computer

Hey Rock N' Roll The Very Best Of Showaddywaddy
Hey Rock N' Roll The Very Best Of Showaddywaddy by Showaddywaddy (Audio CD - 2009)
Click for more info
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available