Format: DVD|Change

on 27 April 2010
Knock On Wood from 1954 was one of Danny Kaye's best yet least-known films. Danny bumbles his way through European intrigue involving the theft of plans for a secret weapon. To escape his pursuers, he pretends to be a high-class English car saleman, a drunken Irish tenor in a pub and finally, a hilarious and catastrophic dancer in a Russian ballet. His fast-talking and frantic actions are as good as anything he did in "The Court Jester" or "The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty"

This film has been sitting on the shelf of some film vault for decades and most people have never heard of it. Regrettably, this DVD release which appears to have been made in Italy is not exactly of digital quality. Quite the opposite.
It seems to have been made from a 16mm print with numerous colour shifts. Hopefully, someday we will get a really sharp copy of this delightfully funny film released on DVD.
on 4 February 2011
This movie is a childhood favourite. Danny Kay is at his best in this one. The songs are sweet and one of my favourite scenes is the one in the Irish pub, the other is the final scene when by accident he finds himself on the stage in the title role of a prince in a ballet! Brilliant comedy, it aged very well in my opinion. If you do not know this movie and want a nice retro feel, have a good laugh and look back at a time when love was still alive and innocent then watch this movie.
on 17 May 2010
have waited a long time for this to be available.
Now having received it [from Germany] I can state that this is the very worst dvd I have ever had.
The film was one of the best Kaye made, but the quality of the copy is dreadful, and impossible to listen to.
It is a real case for subtitling, which would have made it viewable. I'm not sure if there are better copies, but this one just is not worth buying.
The packaging and speed of delivery were both fine.
on 6 March 2012
A delight to see this film again. The ballet sequence was one I've always remembered and it hasn't lost anything of its humour since I first saw it over 50 years ago. Perhaps nostalgia is what it used to be.
on 9 October 2015
I loved it, it is always such treat to watch Danny Kaye, I have always been a fan of his since I was 12 years of age! He had an amazing talent with mimicry, putting on different accents his irish one in this film was hilarious, and very impressive. So I really enjoyed this movie especially the car sequence, which was hysterical to watch!! I highly recommend it. Thank you.
on 18 January 2014
I BUY THIS MOVIE TWICE.
AND TWICE WAS MY DISAPPOINTMENT.
ON SEVERAL PLACES OF THE MOVIES (ON EACH COPY)THERE ARE TRACES OF LINES (UNMAGNETISATION.
THUS POOR QUALITY OF DUPLICATION.
I EXPECT THAT AN OTHER PRODUCER WILL EDIT THIS ITEM.
on 25 January 2013
The film is brilliant but the copy I was sent though marked as new had distortions where the picture disapperared several times.
on 15 March 2012
I was unable to play this DVD as it was for the wrong region. This is something I knew nothing about when ordering DVD's and has cost me £11.99 as a lesson because I have not had any refund despite sending it back.

Further more how can I star rate an Item I have been unable to watch.

Jean Halliday.
on 11 December 2014
Danny Kaye at his best. So many great scenes: the Irish pub, the car seller (very, very English), the ballet scene of course, and many, many more.
on 27 December 2014
It takes a while before this film gets into gear but once it does it flies.
Then its gut laughingly funny.