5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Perfection, 15 April 2010
Robert Groom (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II (Camera)
If you're thinking of buying this lens, you're probably already a fairly keen amateur or you're a pro. If you're shooting on FX, then in my opinion, the decision to buy or upgrade to the new model of this lens is a no-brainer. The VR is noticeably better than on the old model, and the vignetting and corner softness which plagued the old model is almost absent at all focal lengths and apertures. Yes, at close range, you're not getting a full 200mm equivalent focal length at maximum reach, but in practice, that isn't really an issue, at least in my case. Because it lacks real close focus abilities (around 5 feet minimum focus) this isn't a lens for zooming right in on nearby objects anyway. You're far more likely to be shooting from 150mm down at close range. What you want is good reach at distance and great bokeh, and this baby delivers it in spades. The bokeh is every bit as good as on the old model. I upgraded from the old model to the new model after much debate and soul-searching, and I'm so glad I did. On an FX body, it's a real step up from the old model. However, if you're shooting on DX, then my advice would be to consider buying the old model secondhand instead. The extra stop of VR (which is effectively all you'll be getting in the new model) is just not worth the increment in cost to go to the new model, and because DX shoots using the centre portion of the lens, you have none of the softness and vignetting issues that FX bodies suffer from in the old model. FX shooters - if you like vignetting and corner softness - add it in photoshop - at least you have the option not to have it in automatically applied to every shot at f2.8 now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Latest Flagship, 2 May 2010
L. Otto (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II (Camera)
The VR II model is Nikons flagship telephoto zoom for working professionals, it's an extremely precise tool and the price certainly reflects the performance you get from it. If you already own the 70-200 2.8 VR and want advice on upgrading skip to the "Previous Pros" section, because you can probably work out the rest.

Build Quality:
The lens feels like it was carved from a single hunk of metal. There is not the slightest indication of "cheaping out" on the materials on this lens. The entire barrel and mount is a very durable, strong metal. The 3 rings (zoom, focus and aesthetic) are rubber coated, but metal underneath. The filter ring has been rubberised on the outer edge which is an outstanding idea, because it protects that filter ring from getting dented or chipped, it's subtle but it's an inclusion that clearly shows the thought that went in to this lens. The zoom and focus rings move as smooth as butter, with a really good scale between 70-200mm (meaning none of the distances are grouped too closely like they are in cheap lenses)

Performance:
First of all, this lens is tack sharp. If anyone out there says different, there is a 20% chance they have a bad production model, and 80% chance that they simply don't know how to use a camera. At 2.8 it is sharp from centre to corner on a flat subject, obviously if it is curved it won't be sharp because of the DOF. This lens will cut your eyes at 5.6 where it reaches its prime in my opinion. The bokeh is outstanding at 200mm f2.8 it will literally eliminate the background and separate any subject clearly with about 3 feet clearance. Ghosts? None. CA? None. VR II is pretty decent, I can hand hold at 200mm and get steady shots at 1/8 second. This means nothing to you, but take it from me that it will make the difference between getting the shot and not getting the shot. The autofocus is about the quickest I've ever used, and is 99% perfect making sharp shots of distant moving subjects at f2.8 no big deal.

"I've heard this lens isn't a true 200mm focal length at 1.4m distance..." Don't worry about it, if you want to make small things big, buy a macro lens. You just see the bokeh at 200mm f2.8 at 1.4m and then you'll forget it was ever an issue, believe me.

Previous Pros:
In this new lens you gain more light (The aperture widens slightly more meaning it takes in more light in each exposure) The VR is improved for +1 stop although the mechanism is redesigned making it a BETTER VR system, so there are added benefits on top of the extra stop. Sharpness is improved, colour accuracy is improved, working distance is improved, vignetting is improved. But you lose those focus lock buttons (so learn to use the AF lock button on the back of your camera) and it's not quite as good for smaller subjects like butterflies.

Conclusion:
Right now in time, this is where it ends when it comes to professional grade zoom lenses (excluding the 200-400mm VRII) and you will not be disappointed by the performance. Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing lens, 29 Mar. 2011
This review is from: AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II (Camera)
As it was written before, this lens is awesome. Became of my favorite instantly from day one. Very sharp and very fast wich is very handy in low light situation. Gotta love it. :) Perfect for portrait and for close ups even on a walking around. If I need extra zoom range I put the Nikon 1.7TC and it still is very sharp. Makes 340mm and f4.8 wich still creates perfect quality. It is expensive lens but the built quality is also perfect and when I look at my pictures I can easily forget the pricetag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon 70 - 200 VRII Awesome, 3 Mar. 2011
This review is from: AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II (Camera)
One word awesome my best and favourite nikon glass - I can shoot this at 1/15 sec at F2.8, for those low light church shots

4.0 out of 5 stars out of this world, 17 Mar. 2014
This review is from: AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II (Camera)
I have shot in low light in museums as well as in bright sunlight.
The focus speed is fast, sharpness razor sharp.
Warning: you will fall in love.
Cons: very heavy BUT: practice over a number of months strengthened my wrists and I got used to the great weight.
If you're a woman and with thin wrists, think twice about buying this brick, but again, if you are into breaking pain barriers, by all means buy this jewel.
I lost mine in the winter of 2013 and try not to think about it: it's like grieving. Can't wait to have enough money to buy a replacement.

4.0 out of 5 stars VG - Very Good, but hardly 'perfect'., 9 Nov. 2011
This review is from: AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II (Camera)
I see one reviewer calls this lens 'perfection', I'm not so sure.
I bought this lens and sold it after 8 weeks. Part of the reason was that I always had it set at 200mm and had no use for the rest of the range.
I mean, I've got super fast 85 and 105mm lenses for portraits and the like. I also found that this zoom was struggling with the teleconvertors. It was okay with 1.4x but not so good with 1.7x and 2x. Bear in mind I'm always fighting poor light up here. I'm sure it's great on a sunny day.
So, I traded it in against a 200mm f2. This latter 200mm might be worthy of the 'perfection' label. It is certainly the fastest lens I've experienced, happily firing away at 1/5000 and producing crisp images in medium/good light.
So, yes, this 70-200mm is very good, and very well constructed, but it's not perfect. And if you need 200mm would you not be better just buying the mega 200mm? The 200mm f2?
The good news is you won't lose much if you sell or trade your 70-200mm because they are very popular and easy to sell.

JP ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy of Amazon Not Ebay, 6 Sept. 2010
This review is from: AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II (Camera)
I bought this lens on Ebay it was cheaper than I could have bought through Amazon.What a mistake, the lens of Ebay from the dealer called "THE CHEETAEXPRESS" was complete and utter junk. When a photograph was taken only the middle part of the shot about 10% of the frame was sharp.Also when I zoomed in and out the focus would go blured as though the lens focus ring had been turned from one extreem to the other(assembled wrong).I contacted "THE CHEETAHEXPRESS"run by Saurabh Chawla within one hour of receiving the lens and he told me to send it to Nikon under warrantee!.I told him that I wanted a refund which I eventualy got,however I am still trying to recover the return postage which he said he would pay but has not.It was a nightmare.Then I bought the lens through Amazon ,it came from Calumet at a slightly higher price but it is a quality lens.It produces excellent photographes as good as fixed focal lenses.I read that some people have a problem with this lens not being a true 70-200mm.I don't know but if it is a bit shorter than a true 70-200mm I am not that concerned as the quality of the photographs are excellent.I wish I had just bought it from Amazon in the first place.There is some absolute Junk on Ebay.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ying and Yang, 26 April 2011
This review is from: AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II (Camera)
Like the many, many products I have bought from Nikon for myself is was excellent and was great gift for the recipient. it was spoilt only by the service.I recorded my disatisfaction and i have not received any word of apology. Webster Munroe

AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II