5.0 out of 5 stars It's true what they say- the good die young
Arrested Development has got to be the most clever comedy American tv has ever produced..

It was a shame that FOX axed it after just 3 seasons...

Published on 15 Aug 2010 by Fjireland

3.0 out of 5 stars Need to watch several episodes
Didn't see this when it was of the TV a few years ago and was recommended to me by a friend.
It is amusing at times and very funny at others overall a fun look at a dis-functional family.
Published 7 months ago by Robbie Sadr

5.0 out of 5 stars It's true what they say- the good die young, 15 Aug 2010
This review is from: Arrested Development - Season 1-3 [DVD] (DVD)

It was a shame that FOX axed it after just 3 seasons...

I guess it was just too different to what American audiences were used to at the time... I think if it had come out maybe a few years later than it did, it would have stood a better chance. American audiences expected their comedy to be a laugh-out loud, taped-in-front-of-an-audience sitcom, conventional if you like...
look at 30 Rock and The (American) Office now, it is amazing how unfunny these shows are and they get renewed season after season despite being as unconventional as Arrested Development was in its time.
People simply liked / wanted easy comedy like Friends at the time of Arrested Development.... so it never drew in the audience it deserved.

I have watched back all three seasons recently and wow, it just gets better with every viewing...it is true what people say, the show is so layered that you have to watch it multiple times to truly appreciate it...
The cast are superb... each playing a member of the dysfunctional Bluth family who have to face up to major changes when their father is sent to jail. Jason Bateman is a great anchor for the show.. his sarcasm and disbelief at how selfish or dumb his family are is a hoot.

The show doesn't deliver real laugh out loud moments, more subtle humour is employed really.. i know lots of people just don't get the show but it's simply because they watched one or two shows and don't see it as funny, you have to stick with it because when you do, you get into it, the in-jokes, the loose references to previous plots all contribute to the humour in the show. Of course, if sarcastic humour isn't your cup of tea, then you may wanna pass.. alot of the humour is based on laughing at the Bluth family, NOT with them as you would in traditional situation based comedy..

Truly, one of the greatest American comedies, certainly the best since Seinfeld...
if you look at the state of American sitcoms now, they are so unfunny and cliche-ridden, it's hard to believe a great show like this slipped away quietly after 3 years..

5.0 out of 5 stars Best ever?, 11 Aug 2009
Paul McNamee "Rambleast Reviews" (North Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Arrested Development - Season 1-3 [DVD] (DVD)
Is Arrested Development the best US sitcom ever? Maybe not. I'll always be partial to Seinfeld, though AD accomplished as much in three short seasons as they did in nine, so it's a tough call. What the heck. Yes. It's the best US sitcom ever made.

It's in all the little things. You never quite know what you're going to get with Arrested. From the evolution of the narrator (Ron "I'm awesome" Howard) into an omniscient, fourth-wall-breaking bastion of the show's excellence to the shift in relationships between George Michael (Michael Cera off of Superbad) and his maybe-cousin Maeby or his once-girlfriend Anne (aka "Bland", "Annehog" or "Egg") ending up with his uncle Gob (pronounced Job, like in the bible and the start of Mission Impossible), there's few developments over the three years that anyone could see coming. Jeffrey Tambor's characters George Sr. and Oscar (twins, natch) and their various identity crises alone are hard to keep up with.

The cast is the best ever assembled for comedy, no exceptions. Jason Bateman excels as straight man Michael, all worried expressions and listless disappointment in what may be the least functional family ever to grace the small screen. Will Arnett's Gob is just priceless, a magician oblivious to the fact that changing a hundred dollar bill into a hundred pennies is a 99-dollar loss to the businessmen he's trying to impress. Tony Hale is Buster, the soft spoken- I hesitate to say simpleton- heart of gold son constantly put down by booze-swilling Jessica Walters. The dynamic between these two in particular is thrilling, because it encourages Buster to every now and then rebel (with often destructive consequences). David Cross' every homosexual innuendo is a joy, and it's a marvel to watch his excruciatingly awkward physical comedy. Michael Cera's style I'm sure you're now familiar with (he has yet to break form ONCE in ANY of his movies), but here it's mixed with a greater degree of youth and is as such twice as appealing. As a son fond of his father, he's top notch. Also Portia de Rossi and Alia Shawkat are there.

Other little touches include fantastic wordplay. Scott Baio's lawyer character is named Bob Lablaw. Say that out loud. Also, the family's adopted Korean son's name is something of a mystery, as what they THINK is his name is actually 'hello' in his native language. Much mirth ensues.

Of course, the show was simply too good for TV and was axed in it's third year. Perhaps this was a good thing, perhaps not; the series' only fault was the dreadful Charlize Theron-starring Rita subplot early in season 3 (see my review of that set for uncut vehemence), one more of which type would have ruined the whole thing. Still, the rest of the episodes were great and the end was marvellous, so whadda I know? When it was good (which was all but these five episodes) it was concisely plotted comedy gold. Martin Mull as Gene Parmesan, the Private Eye who's rubbish at finding people BUT is a master of disguise manages, in only one appearance, to become one of my favourite comedy characters of all time. Posing as a doctor, he turns; "I have some bad news. I'm... Gene Parmesan, private detective". Funniest thing ever.

So, you have David Cross in head-to-toe blue makeup. You have a frankly racist black puppet. A magician dejectedly hurling a dove into the sea. Ben Stiller with a 'w' for a goatee. An airport stair-car as a primary mode of transport. Liza Minelli not being able to stand up straight due to vertigo. An entirely family of idiots dancing like what they THINK chickens dance like, each different, each completely ridiculous, all at once, to try and make someone ELSE feel stupid. If ANY of these things appeal to you, Arrested Development's your show.

I must point out that at £50-odd quid the price tag is ridiculous- I recently picked up all three sets for £9 apiece. I'm sure this will come down in time though, and Christmas will almost certainly see a fair few of these picked up. A new release of a classic show will hopefully spark considerable interest for the long-touted movie version. I'm not a fan of TV shows making the small-to-silver leap (one reason;why?) but if it gets us more, so be it. Like Ron Howard says in one of the interviews, you may not get it at first, but you'll keep watching and before you know it, you're hooked. And believe me, there's nothing like being hooked on Arrested Development.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series!, 8 Jan 2010
Ms. Rachael Doman (Liverpool, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arrested Development - Season 1-3 [DVD] (DVD)
Would recommend this series to anyone- very dry and witty humour! Shame it doesn't have more series! Great cast too! If you have a quite sarcastic, dry sense of humour you will love this program. It is basically about a very dysfunctional family. I have noted some minor problems with continuity in the show, but this doesn't detract from the program and has been very enjoyable to watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't believe it got cancelled!, 14 Mar 2010
N. Cherian "The Dude" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arrested Development - Season 1-3 [DVD] (DVD)
Arrested Development is one of the best shows I've watched and ahead of it's time.. I think the only reason it got canned was because the world wasn't ready! If you like shows like Curb your Enthusiasm, The Office, you'll love Arrested Development. This box set collects all seasons and the extra features are great. At this price, it's am amazing deal!

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't get it...., 11 Nov 2011
This review is from: Arrested Development - Season 1-3 [DVD] (DVD)
I really don't get it - for £15 I could buy a pizza or a decent bottle of wine or an off-peak day return train ticket from Stevenage to Peterborough.

Or I could buy all 53 episodes of sheer comic genius called Arrested Development.

Strange world we live in....

5.0 out of 5 stars Funniest? ..., 4 July 2013
This review is from: Arrested Development - Season 1-3 [DVD] (DVD)
Arrested Development is the funniest show of all time in my eyes. In short it's about a man who keeps his family together after his dad ends up in jail - Also, about how they must live in 'the real world', without money.

It's only short - at 53 episodes fox cancelled the series due to low ratings but this should not put you off the show. Netflix has brought the series back due to the fans popular demand for a fourth series and there is already talk of a fifth series and talks of a move.

For about £15 - Honestly, this is one of the best deals you will find on Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've made a terrible mistake!, 2 Nov 2012
Patrick Cann (Kenilworth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arrested Development - Season 1-3 [DVD] (DVD)
In order for the title of this review to mean something I suggest you buy this programme and clear your viewing schedule for a while. The Great British Bake Off and all other associated rubbish, Strictly I mean you here, can wait.
Having not seen a television comedy which I found trully funny since Spaced I had lost all hope until my brother-in-law bought us this.
Treading the right side of the sublime/ ridiculous divide for most of the time I would recommend this to anyone who hasn't yet seen it.
The best thing about this was that over the course of the 3 series it was the initially minor characters who become the most engaging and funny ones. Not that Bateman wasn't good but Tobias Funke was much better.
The premise was ridiculous but managed to remain funny throughout which is no mean feat. Ok it sagged a little with the Charlize Theron sub-plot but picked up to end up sailing into the sunset leaving my wife and I satisfied.
Don't expect straight laughs a la Friends, Modern Family etc this programme is more akin to Married with Children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes it is..., 9 Jan 2010
This review is from: Arrested Development - Season 1-3 [DVD] (DVD)
... the best comedy series ever. And where I'm from a LOT of people agree with me. All the hype that its getting, it deserves it. Although I'm contantly surprised hearing that someone hasn't even heard of the show, I now have a great chance to promote the best show on TV for years (I mean ever) with the recent purchase of this DVD Box-Set. Honestly, Arrested Development is the only show I never get sick of.

As always (at least in my case) the delivery by amazon was top notch and the DVDs are naturally amazing. The only thing that customers should now is that it is an 8 DISC boxset instead of the advertised 10 DISC one. I'm pretty sure that there isn't even a 10 Disc boxset so the mistake isn't that big of a deal, but just in case if you order it, don't be surprised.

I feel great ordering it because we have seen before when dvd sales bring back good shows (family guy), although that most certainly won't happen with AD, it's great to show that people love it by ordering this amazing boxset of an amazing show. So you should too. (order it that is).

5.0 out of 5 stars Television comedy at it's absolute best., 2 Aug 2012
Peter Cook "Peter Cook" (Auckland, NEW ZEALAND) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arrested Development - Season 1-3 [DVD] (DVD)
I'd never seen any ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT back in the day as it was on an obscure channel at an equally obscure time. I recently accidentally caught it on re-run and within 3 minutes it had me......hook, line and sinker!

Having caught a dozen side splitting episodes I immediately placed an order through Amazon for the whole darned box set - and I wasn't disappointed. A terrific collectors box set with all 3 seasons and a bounty of extra features. Audio commentaries from cast and creator, a lot of deleted scenes, bloopers, numerous featurettes, interviews and even a nice bonus uncensored pilot episode (which never aired).

Just how this utterly brilliant comedy passed me by years ago is a mystery as it really is some of the best and wackiest comic excellence ever to hit the airwaves. I haven't laughed out loud so much in years...hilarious characters, rapid fire moments of comic brilliance - which demand repeat viewing to take it all in. The cast are uniformly perfect, making it tough to pick a favourite, though I think Will Arnett's 'Gob' had me in stitches more than anyone.

All up, as perfect an antidote for the blues as one is ever likely to find. You'll be chuckling for days over many of the lines and gags. Very highly recommended *****

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best TV Comedies Out There, 7 April 2011
Jack (Swindon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arrested Development - Season 1-3 [DVD] (DVD)
Some might not get it's slight quirkiness, and it truly alienated newcomers with its ongoing jokes throughout all three series but that's what makes it so necessary to buy this full set.
I considered buying the first series, but I'm so glad I bought this, it keeps its humour and intelligence at a high level consistently throughout the whole thing, and doesn't let up even in it's finale.

Arrested Development - Season 1-3 [DVD]
Arrested Development - Season 1-3 [DVD] by Jason Bateman (DVD - 2009)