4.0 out of 5 stars Fast but noisy/vibrating
I upgraded the 320MB 5400rpm Hitachi HTS543232L9SA02 drive to the 500GB Seagate Momentus ST9500420AS in my Macbook Pro (2.66GHz Core 2 Duo). Technically it works really well, no hiccups with the installation, no heat issues even when working hard, and the system feels more nippy (I use things like Photoshop, VMware Fusion etc.).

"xbench" (a free Max...
Published on 25 Aug 2009 by O. Hansen

1.0 out of 5 stars Could do a lot better
Had it for a month and just sent it back for a refund. Trouble started after starting second Acronis backup to an external drive....Luckily I had the original HDD that I'd cloned to this drive.....I loaded the old (three weeks actually) into the new laptop and then cloned it again to the Seagate....Put the Seagate back in the laptop and everything was o.k until two days...
Published on 5 Dec 2010 by S. J. Kitchen

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and big, 13 July 2010
This review is from: Seagate ST9500420AS, 500GB Mobile SATA Momentus, 7200RPM 16MB Cache (Electronics)
This is a quick, quiet drive. I popped it into a Startech ESATA enclosure and it produced 67MB/s throughput on my Toshiba Tecra M series which is very good for such a low priced unit.

If you don't have eSATA on your laptop and you're not installing this as the main hard-drive, then purchase a PC Express or PC Card eSATA adapter - it's much faster than USB (2 or 3) - wikid for backups or great to be able to move Virtual Machines of 20+GB between laptops really fast!

Startech 2.5 inch Black eSATA USB External Hard Drive Enclosure for SATA HDD

3.0 out of 5 stars On replacement, 12 July 2010
Dr. B. C. Burrows "Prof Plums" (Bristol UK) - See all my reviews
Heard a few bad reviews about these and have to say first one did break within about 3 weeks of getting it.....had to purchase diskwarrior (£80) to retrieve data so prob should have gone for something different. Amazon replaced without question, and the new one has been working great for 6 months.....although I do have a WD 1TB time capsule set up and of course disk warrior just in case.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Seagate ST9500420AS, 31 Dec 2009
Leslie M. Turner "Leslie M Turner" (Cambridgeshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Great piece of equipment fitted quickly into MacBook Pro and has been working well, I have no complaints!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, Efficient and Easily Setup, 25 Dec 2009
Craig Nicolson "CNIC" (Shetland, Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this hard drive to upgrade my Samsung NC10.
It was easy to install and worked out of the box.
It is very fast and there is no difference in battery life.
There is an increase in vibration and sounds but when i am using my laptop it is completely unnoticeable. It may pr0duce slightly more heat but not adversely and i am very careful about not blocking my fans anyway.
Overall I think the Pros far Outway the cons, of which there are very little.

5.0 out of 5 stars In need of both speed and power?, 19 Dec 2009
S. Smith (Cape Town, SA) - See all my reviews
This is a great disk if you require lots of space and speed from you HD - this is ideal.
Do require a powerfull machine to use it to the full - but if you have that - and it supports the "airbag" functionality from the disk - you don't get it better than this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks great on paper, 8 Aug 2010
W. Scardino (home, alone) - See all my reviews
I have no problem with Seagate drives, I have quite a few both 2.5 and 3.5. Despite all the bad press and the claims of drives failing left right and center I have only experienced 1 TB drive failing despite putting 20 2 TB drives into a media server I have built. Despite all of this this drive that I have bought off of Amazon and put into my laptop. Almost a week after doing so, I noticed an abnormal clicking in the laptop, and have been on alert about it. It hasn't gone sour yet but from my experiance there's no smoke without fire when it comes to hard drives. I'll cross my fingers but I won't be holding my breath. Be warned...

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 30 April 2010
Mr. T. E. Burns "Tbizzle" (Chelmsford, Essex) - See all my reviews
Works well. Had read some dodgy reviews before purchase. But I felt that all HD's can fail and if it does fail, a bad review will ensue. Took a gamble, and has worked well for a couple of months now. My MacBook is noticeabley faster as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good item as, 17 July 2014
fast delivery, very good item as described

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good and very fast delivery, 11 May 2014
Got my computer back to life

1.0 out of 5 stars Unrelible, 12 Feb 2010
This is an unreliable product. We had bought it for one of our MacBook Pros from a different supplier. From day one it was making a "clunk" noise. We thought it was normal and HDD heads was parking. A month later laptop started being too slow and non-responsive and died. We had to buy an expensive but great software called DiskWarrior and rescue the latest data which worked slowly. Software detected a hardware problem. We have contacted to Seagate and they organized a replacement. We had to pay the shipping to send back. We had to delete all the data in it for security reasons and it took days due to a fact it was faulty and too slow. Replacement was a "certified REPAIRED HDD" means it was faulty for another victim and repaired (if). We asked for a brand new one but been told this is not their policy. I have checked our RMA and it says replace with "functioning product". No mention of "REPAIRED" one. Yes, it comes with a warranty but it will cost you:
1) rescue the data,
2) Replace the hard drive on Mac which is fiddly
3) return shipping cost as they wont collect
4) Wasting precious business time and stress
5) Putting the replacement one back into Mac again
6) Wasting time to restore everything back.
7) Not to mention what happens if you did not have a full backups.

After reading the similar reviews of this product on the internet we don't think we are alone.

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›