4.0 out of 5 stars A very good entry-level satnav
Published on 11 Sep 2009 by P. Stephens

1.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed
Had to return the product. Too unreliable. Lost connection on highways. Says "turn right now" when I should have either turned 200 meters before or 200 meters after the instruction was given.
When the product is switched on, the voice instructions come on only after I drive about 1 km. Perhaps this particular product I had was faulty but I dont want to risk buying...
Published on 21 April 2010 by purchaser

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good entry-level satnav, 11 Sep 2009
P. Stephens (Bath, B&NES United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin Nuvi 205 Satellite Navigation System - Newly Overhauled (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
I don't really need a satnav, but wanted one anyway so this cost-saving 'overhauled' item seemed a good idea (and is proving to be). It came in proper original packaging with all the accessories, and although Garmin's website said "this serial number has already been registered", a call to their support line fixed the problem straight away. I'm also glad I got a non-widescreen one, as the display is big enough and easy to carry.

The 205 is very easy to use - just a series of touch-screen menus with handy options for 'Where to?' and "Where am I?" near the top of the tree. It's also very quick at finding satellites and calculating routes, as well as, crucially, recalculating them if you go off course (I missed an exit at a roundabout and it had me back on course within 100 yards). Apparently this speed of operation is a major improvement over the 200 model. The voice instructions (a rather stern-sounding lady) are clearly audible, but you do need to watch the screen as well, since they can sometimes be confusing. On one local route the lady says "turn right then left", which would send you down a dead end. Howewever the display shows clearly that she really means "turn right then stay on that street, following it round to the left".

Because it's quick, it can pivot the 3D maps so they always show your straight-ahead view, so 'turn left' is always shown as left on the screen, even if you very recently took a 90-degree right. This makes it easy to follow the directions, even when making repeated sharp turns in urban traffic systems. If you use the voice instructions as prompts to look at the screen, you won't go far wrong.

The mapping data (latest version) seems pretty accurate. I drove from Bath to south-east London, and on the way back it took me on a very neat, time-saving route through the back-streets of SW1. There's no mention of the London Congestion Charge zone in the documentation, but it is, in fact, there - choose 'toll roads' under 'Avoid' (it doesn't know about weekends being free though, so you have to switch them off again).

The points of interest data isn't so impressive. The three nearest fuel stations it lists from my house all, in fact, stopped selling fuel at least three years ago (10 in one case), while it curiously fails to mention either of Bath's two full-size supermarkets (both at least 15 years old) under 'food'. Given that Bath is one of the most-visited cities in the UK, you'd think they'd try harder to stay up to date.

This is an entry-level model, so it's bound to omit some advanced features. The most noticeable is its inability to save routes. You can save destinations and use them as via points (for example, Bath to Swindon via Chippenham), but you can't save custom routes you've built this way; instead you have to re-create them each time. It does have some nifty average speed/fuel calculation features though, and can display a 'trip log' which shows you exactly where you've driven on the map.

The nuvi 205 does its core job of telling you which turn to take next extremely well, and in a strange town on a dark night it would be absolutely priceless (watch out for your own petrol stations though). My overhauled unit is basically as new, so I'm happy with the saving too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great first sat-nav!, 5 Oct 2009
This is a great sat-nav for those who have never had one before and just want something entry-level and cheap (like me). It always finds good satellite signal and gets you where you want to go. The screen is bright, clear and easy to understand. The voice instructions can seem a little blunt and to the point, but it is functional and you can always customise various features or add maps using the memory card slot. The only real problems are problems that you can aim at all sat-nav's in general. The source of any error is likely to come from human input or the mapping not being quite up-to-date (although the maps have been fine for me so far). Also the way small sections of a route are planned, particularly on short journeys can seem a little strange, but often this is down to the coldly logical way a computer thinks, and still works perfectly well, it just provokes a "that's not how I would have done it" reaction from the user. Overall, this is a good, slim, lightweight, and functional entry into the world of satellite navigation and is highly recommended for those reasons. 5 stars!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the money, 25 Nov 2009
I always wait a while before submitting a review, so I know what I'm talking about. Many people write a review when they received the product yesterday and have hardly unpacked it. I have had mine a good six months and use it every day. Firstly, and most importantly, it works fine. It doesn't sing to you, connect to a bluetooth or have any bells and whistles, but for a good, basic satnav that will get you to where you want to be, you will not be disappointed. I am a domiciliary health worker, and was in danger of driving in to the back of the car in front as, like many of my ilk, I would try and read a map and drive at the same time. Now, I bung in the post code and relax. A little local knowledge will always help - only you know which local streets get snarled at school pickup time, but the satnav will quickly re-route you when you have finished your creative intervention. A fellow further down the list gave this a bad review because "it doesn't give you the distance to destination". It does. This is clearly someone who has just opened the box and not read the instructions. It will give you a load of extra info at the touch of a button, it just doesn't like cluttering the screen with non-essential info. It gives you the information necessary to get you where you want to go. If you want extra stuff, like average speed, max speed, direction of travel etc, it will give it you: just hit a button. The screen is plenty big enough - you don't need a wide screen. My eyes are rubbish, and I can read it just fine. It does a very good job of telling you where speed cameras are, but you still need to use common sense. The road-widening work on the M1 is a rolling feast - you cannot expect your satnav to know the precise details all the time. Use your common sense.

In short, if you want a good, functional satnav, buy this. If you want something to massage your neck or vibrate your seat, buy something costing £300.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, Does What It Says On The Tin :), 10 Dec 2009
Mr. L. Richards (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this SatNav for my sister and wanted one that did not have all the bells and whistles (Bluetooth, MP3, Text2Speech etc.) but still gave good clear directions and was easy to use. I personally own a Nuvi300 and hence my choice of another Nuvi.

Compared to my model the unit is much better looking, and now has the GPS antenna integrated into the unit, instead of being a "flap" at the back, this is really good. The memory expansion slot is now also Micro SD instead of SD, another improvement. The box contained instructions, the car mounting kit and charger, all really easy to understand.

The unit works from the go, a few seconds to switch on, nice big icons to choose either a new location or a previous one. The postcode search is the easiest method to find your way and works flawlessly. The sound is clear and instructions are easy to understand. The screen is bright and colourful (changing to night mode in darkness) and gives good clear indication of where you are on the road. Finally it features a usefull POI search for nearby shops/petrol stations/restaurants etc.

In summary, if you are looking for a SatNav that is intended to get you quickly to your destination without all the "extra" features, but still want good quality and usability, then I would recomend this to you. It does exactly what it was intended to do, and has a couple of nice little features too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Nuvi 205, 19 Nov 2009
Mr. Nicholas Thomas (Bradford, UK.) - See all my reviews
I like Garmin Sat Navs. This is my second (after my Garmin nuvi 250W) was stolen.

This time I decided not to go with the wide screen version, so that I can take this device with me in my pocket, instead of leaving it in the car.

This device was 1/3 of the price of my previous Garmin, so that's good too.

So far, I haven't found any features that I miss. There is a new feature on the 205 which is a small circular display showing the speed limit I am currently in. I find this very useful.

I also like the PIN code lock feature, which renders it useless to anyone who decides to steal this one :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought For Daughter, 5 Oct 2009
Mr. M. Barker "Mike B" (Wokingham) - See all my reviews
I bought this last week for my daughter but set it up and used it beforehand.

Unit took a few minutes to do the initial boot up but once this was complete the lock on subsequently was very quick. I have a Navman 550TM which cost substantially more which takes longer.

Nuvi doesn't have the same level of features however as a simple easy to use device for my daughter this is Ideal and I think great value for money. Nice size robust mounting and easy to follow.

Used it myself last weekend to try it out. Worked faultlessly I would recommend this unit to anyone wanting a great value for money easy to use GPS.

4.0 out of 5 stars garmin to go - Nuvi 205, 7 Nov 2009
This is an excellent piece of kit and great value for money. I have seen criticism about its inability to give distance to go - presumably by those who are unable to read their car mileometer - the sat nav having initially given the total distance. Carping critisism of this sort is stupid and I can highly recommend this piece of kit which is delightfully simple and not endowed with far too may complicated bells and whistles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use!, 1 Nov 2009
This sat nav is very easy to use, and good value for money.
You can't pick the voice, but does that really matter? Directions are clear, and points of interest is useful.
Very quick, hardly any start up needed before you can use it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful - as long as you don't want to go to Sainsburys!, 1 Dec 2009
Neil A. Chambers "nchambers10" (Plymouth, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this Sat Nav for a recent trip and cannot overstate what a useful device it is. We made several detours and it took them all in it's stride. The estimated time of arrival seemed a little optimistic at times, but was pretty much spot on.

This device does everything I want of it - I'm new to Sat Nav and therefore cannot say how it compares to others - and I would recommend this without any qualms. The only point I would raise is that it appears to have a problem with Sainsburys and, to a lesser extent, Tesco. I sat in Sainsburys car park and looked for the nearest shop - it suggested Asda a few miles away! Other than that, it never let me down -even when we got lost in the Welsh country lanes, I just turned on the Sat Nav and it took us where we wanted to go without any problems.

This is a bargain for anyone looking for a Sat Nav without paying a fortune.

Further info: September 2010. I recently decided it might be a good idea to update the maps on this Sat nav before a long journey. I was appalled to discover this costs twice as much as the unit! I decided to stick with my older maps as I was not prepared to pay well over a £100 to update. This seems a blatant rip-off based on the premise that now you have the hardware you'll have to buy the overpriced upgrades (does Microsoft own this company?). I'm afraid this has taken the shine off of my Sat Nav. I'll just buy a new one the next time I do a big trip - it'll work out cheaper!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great entry level sat nav at a great price, 19 Nov 2009
After weeks of trying to use sat nav software with my iphone I decided to go for this dedicated sat nav option - compared to the sometimes unusable iphone (i was using copilot) this garmin is just fantastic. It does exactly what is meant to, and does it without any fuss.

The iphone just doesn't have the GPS strength to handle driving around London - it would lose signal all the time, couldn't even find my location often, and would take an age to recalculate routes. The Garmin just gets on with it and is really easy to use.

At this price it is a bargain - obviously if you want newer features this isn't for you, but it does everything I need - has speed camera warnings (need to sign up for updates), pretty good POI database, stores favourite locations, and locates and route finds quickly.

Very pleased with this product!