I was very wary of buying 'Technical Ecstasy' because I thought it would shatter my perception of Black Sabbath. Indeed, until recently I had never heard it - even 38 years after it was originally released! Well, I took the plunge, and I'm glad that I did, because it didn't seem to me to be quite as different from the previous albums as had often been claimed...
Published 4 months ago by M. Campion

The seventh studio album from the classic Black Sabbath line up of Osbourne, Iommi, Ward and Butler is a bit of a departure from their signature sound and the last gasp from a band in decline.

Published on 13 May 2011 by Victor

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Most tracks are not as different from the earlier stuff as some might claim!, 19 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Technical Ecstasy (Audio CD)

It's interesting how just one or two tracks can change one's perception of a record. The two that stick out here are 'It's Alright' which sounds very different not least because of Bill Ward singing the vocals, and 'She's Gone' which is a nice song but a bit lightweight for me. Really though these are the only tracks that are that different from the previous Sabbath style.

The other six tracks this album, 'Back Street Kids', 'You Won't Change Me', 'Gypsy', 'All Moving Parts', 'Rock 'n' Roll Doctor' and 'Dirty Women' are all full-on with a great heavy guitar sound and actually sound like a natural follow-up to 'Sabotage' which itself was a substantial progression from say, 'Black Sabbath' or 'Paranoid'.

If you like the first six Sabbath albums then definitely don't be afraid to get this. You may like all eight songs on it, after all they are all good. But if you don't, do not let the one or two lighter ones put you off, just play the rest of it. It rocks!

3.0 out of 5 stars Technical Ecstasy: Black Sabbath - The rock and roll doctor injects some life into an ailing band, 13 May 2011
Victor (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Technical Ecstasy (Audio CD)

With a somewhat less heavy sound than on previous albums, this is a more middle of the road rock and roll album, until you listen closely to the lyrics (which deal with drugs, streetwalkers, transvestites and other insalubrious topics). Lyrically it is a strong effort with some great song writing in evidence.

However, other aspects of the band were in fast decline. As with Sabotage there is a feeling of overproduction and a loss of spontaneity, and Osbourne seems more and more disinterested in the singing, to the extent that Bill Ward provides vocals for one track.

It's a decent record in most lights, but does not compare favourably with their earlier material. 3 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Alright just not essential!, 8 July 2010
This review is from: Technical Ecstasy (Audio CD)
Unlike the other reviews I would say this album is worth getting if you like Black Sabbath. Ok I'd buy their first four albums before I'd get this one (which i did) but songs like Back Street Kids which is a good straight ahead rocker with lyrics that seem to hark back to the bands youth "Brought up in a back street living with the salt of the land" and It's Alright sung by Bill Ward which shows a more reflective, tender side to the band are quality songs. Overall while not an essential Ozzy-era album to buy it's still worth getting,

5.0 out of 5 stars Underated Ecstasy, 13 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Technical Ecstasy (Audio CD)
It's funny isn't it sometimes how an album gets categorised as one thing or another. Appetite for destruction, brilliant -which frankly, isn't. Technical Ecstasy, poor to average -which it also isn't. Different to be sure, but a great album nonetheless. Some memorable riffs on very good and catchy songs and a lively performance from Ozzy -e.g. Rock 'n' Roll Doctor -and rather welcomingly, to my ears at least, from Bill Ward on 'It's Alright.'

This is to Sabbath's musical legacy what Robin Trower's 'Caravan to Midnight' is to his - an overlooked gem. Just as long as you take it out of context and enjoy it for what it is... a departure.

Hell, most of us like to travel don't we? Departures sure work for me. Set sail for a foreign land and enjoy this trip.

Ciao.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic album, so critisized for no reason, 29 May 2012
This review is from: Technical Ecstasy (Audio CD)
I discovered Black Sabbath in the mid-late 70's with Sabotage and especially Technical Ecstasy.
I think it was the best way to discover these albums without being influenced with hopes based on previous albums (which are also great).
From Technical Ecstasy, the standout track are for me Dirty Women with one of the best ever riffs at the mid-song and the fast Back street kids. There are no weak songs in this album and is very versatile in style and prove that Sabbath are great song writers and great musicians.
For sure, this album is very different to anything they have done before, but it doesn't mean it is bad.
It is a fantastic rock album with great songs, great tunes, powerful riffs and fantastic guitar solos.
It is also the one album of the ozzy era which has the best recording sound.
Black Sabbath could certainly not keep on doing the same music as the first few albums and an evolution needed to be done.
Technical ecstasy is so different that some people felt very disapointed (as some were with Sabotage), but what if it was going to be similar to Vol4 or Paranoid, people would have said that Sabbath had no more inspiration.
Anyway, everybody is free to think what they want on this and I do not critisize people who think differently.
But if the criticism is only because it sounds different and ignoring the quality of the songs, this is a shame.

I would recomend this album to any rock/heavy rock fans and it would certainly appeal also to non-sabbath fans and a good way to discover the band for young generation.

5.0 out of 5 stars black sabbath, 6 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Technical Ecstasy (Audio CD)
fantastic if you are a black Sabbath fan which I am not so good if your a fan of take that
Dave

5.0 out of 5 stars Great well compiled Album, 31 Jan. 2014
Roger U (Yorkshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Technical Ecstasy (MP3 Download)
Always a joy to listen to, I especially like the contrast between Rock 'N' Roll Doctor followed on by She's Gone which exudes
emotion

5.0 out of 5 stars nostalgia, 18 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Technical Ecstasy (Audio CD)
takes me back a fair few years.
not everyones taste, but great if it is.
recommended for metalists.
a good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars in ecstasy, 23 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Technical Ecstasy (Audio CD)
bought to replenish my tired old worn out vinyl from the seventies as one to many parties have taken their toll on my old reccies nice to hear these again on cd and as always its well worth the price

4.0 out of 5 stars Some beatiful moments, 27 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Technical Ecstasy (Audio CD)
Let me get this straight, I really love the first 6 Black Sabbath albums but this is number 7. I don't like the late 70's production, I think Ozzy is starting to slip, many of the riffs are lighter than before and the bass isn't recorded right. But I think Dirty Women and Gypsy are wonderful, so wonderful that I still give the album 4 stars. Bill's drumming on Gypsy and Tony's playing on Dirty Women are for me the last great moments of a wonderful band and yes I know it isn't their last album. Nice booklet, decent master, silly cover and arrived early.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Technical Ecstasy
Technical Ecstasy by Black Sabbath (Audio CD - 2014)