Format: Blu-ray|Change
Price:£4.18+ £1.26 shipping

on 2 November 2009
The old ones are always the best. Fame just touches all the right places, i think this version is far better then the new one in 2009. I feel they shouldnt of bothered re-making it, you cant beat perfection. Anyone who loves singing and dancing will love this, any age,im in my 30s and my daughter is 13 and she loved it too. BRILLIANT.....
on 2 November 2002
Fame seems the last thing on the minds of eight or so teenagers as they progress through New York's public stage school. What they want - really, really want - is to escape: from the marauding cockroaches, domineering or distant parents, oppressive religion and the the frustrations of sex. And performing is the way out.
Fame is a dazzling ensemble piece, weaving this way and that as the characters scratch their way through life's tougher choices and some raw song and dance numbers.
Fame can feel a little brash at times - but that's the way our limelight lovers survive - yet at times we are treated, really treated, to moments of intense sensitivity and earthy humour. Often the episodic nature of this film - some scenes are barely more than sketches - can leave the viewer frustrated, but within minutes the face of an appealing wannabe or some gutsy production number will leave you smiling.
Perhaps not Alan Parker's best, but this film takes you to the heart of New York and lets you stay there long after the last credit.
on 4 March 2007
Fame is a brilliant film. Why? The storyline attached to it, is an accurate and realistic portrayal of what reality is like for a group of students in a performing arts school over a course of four years.

The message conveyed is that it is not easy to achieve stardom, unless you demonstrate sheer dedication and commitment in achieving the goals. The film shows that the fortunes are mixed for various characters. The issue of stardom is really well tackled. I found certain scenes touching and emotional and I felt genuine sympathy for the frustration certain characters experienced. The film is inspirational, as in the sense that many realities TV shows today's, have opened up opportunities to achieve stardom, but in an ideal world is not easy to achieve. You neither got it nor have not. The show business theme is fascinating and interesting to know about.

The film is set in the 1980's, and is a little outdated in terms of fashion and technology. Storyline, powerful characters and background music prompts a positive review. I really enjoyed the film and found it entertaining, but a little emotional. Fame is a superb musical film for all to enjoy and a great DVD to include in your collection. The extras accompanying the DVD are first class. Absolutely brilliant stuff and I could not ask for any more.
on 20 July 2003
It was my high school years and i was dying to dance. This movie reminds me how amazing to discover dancing, creating yourself by the music you feel in your heart. It was the way i express myself as the students in Fame. I can not imagine any other story could fire my feelings, set me free on the floor. Fame is one of the most important and successful youth films i have ever seen. Great music, great performance. You will find yourself dancing and feeling very strong faith in you.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 24 February 2016
I bought this DVD for my granddaughter as it was something she needed for a University project.

I cannot in all honest say that I have ever 'watched' this film but I sat through it over and over in the '80s when my youngest daughter was a school girl and this was her favourite film for several months. I do however know all the music by heart through subliminal learning.

My daughter liked this film and so does my granddaughter, not my cup of tea but it must have some value to now be regarded as a classic.
on 21 December 2004
The first review of this film shows that the viewer was a little misguided. This is a truly classic film but is not much like the TV series we all know and love. It is a much darker movie about ambition, poverty and the knock-backs of life. Much like what being a struggling dancer/actor/musician probably is (or was)
It's an amazing movie and the knocks that Leroy endures makes it worthwhile. Otherwise it'd all be about the dancing but with no substance.
on 1 September 2003
Fame inspired me to start stage school and two years on I am still loving every minute. You'll find yourself dancing around your living room to the classic soundtrack and songs that everyone knows and loves. This film combines great visuals, sounds and dance to make a movie you will never forget!
on 13 June 2010
I loved this film when I was a teenager and I still love it now. I'm plaesed I purchased this via Amazon and it arrived in top speed to bring alive the memories from my younger years!!
on 28 September 2001
Fame is a lively musical with excellent dancing and music. It's brilliant with a bowl of popcorn and glass of cola. If you do buy it, which you should for this excellent price, I can guarantee you'll want to watch it again as soon as it's finished. The film is set in a stage college in New York and includes brilliant choreography and directing. If you enjoy dancing then I suggest you buy it, because the dancing is fabulous!
on 15 May 2010
Bought this for the wife based on memories of the TV series. If this was their only inspiration, I'm surprised the TV series was ever made. The story is long and slow and the whole film just lacks that spark and energy that memory tells me made the series worth watching. You can tell I was disapointed, I guess if I saw the film without preconceptions it would have been an "OK" film.

The picture quality and the sound are good but I am using very old equipment so can't make a true HD judgement.