5.0 out of 5 stars My Best Lens Purchase
This lens is extremely versatile, from 7-12 meters to 100 meters to the moon - the lens does not disappoint in reach, clarity, sharpness, & bokeh. It's my default go-to lens for all of my sporting events, and when I need the reach to bring subjects closer, or to compress landscape. I have paired it both with the D300 and the D800 bodies.

Pros:
- High...
Published on 6 Aug. 2012 by S. Barlow

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm super irritated with this lens
I'm super irritated with this lens. I bought it initially in January 2014 and after a month or two had intermittent focus issues. I sent this back to Amazon who dealt with this problem really quickly and efficiently, I have no issue with Amazon, but 8 months down the line I now have the same problem with this lens AGAIN! Maybe I should defect to Canon after all!!!
Published 3 months ago by Emma

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars My Best Lens Purchase, 6 Aug. 2012
S. Barlow - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Lens (Camera)

Pros:
- High quality materials and built like a tank
- Easy to read and use switches and rings
- Clarity, sharpness and bokeh are exceptional
- VR II works great

Cons:
- It's big and heavy. Know when you need it
- Expensive, but the value is so right-on

It's really the best lens purchase that I've made. If there was one lens that I could have - this would be it. The lens does not disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Perfection, 15 April 2010
Robert Groom (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Lens (Camera)
If you're thinking of buying this lens, you're probably already a fairly keen amateur or you're a pro. If you're shooting on FX, then in my opinion, the decision to buy or upgrade to the new model of this lens is a no-brainer. The VR is noticeably better than on the old model, and the vignetting and corner softness which plagued the old model is almost absent at all focal lengths and apertures. Yes, at close range, you're not getting a full 200mm equivalent focal length at maximum reach, but in practice, that isn't really an issue, at least in my case. Because it lacks real close focus abilities (around 5 feet minimum focus) this isn't a lens for zooming right in on nearby objects anyway. You're far more likely to be shooting from 150mm down at close range. What you want is good reach at distance and great bokeh, and this baby delivers it in spades. The bokeh is every bit as good as on the old model. I upgraded from the old model to the new model after much debate and soul-searching, and I'm so glad I did. On an FX body, it's a real step up from the old model. However, if you're shooting on DX, then my advice would be to consider buying the old model secondhand instead. The extra stop of VR (which is effectively all you'll be getting in the new model) is just not worth the increment in cost to go to the new model, and because DX shoots using the centre portion of the lens, you have none of the softness and vignetting issues that FX bodies suffer from in the old model. FX shooters - if you like vignetting and corner softness - add it in photoshop - at least you have the option not to have it in automatically applied to every shot at f2.8 now!

5.0 out of 5 stars The first time I saw your face, 20 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Lens (Camera)
You can find all the technical stuff, comparisons and reviews elsewhere with a simple Google search, so ... my comment is simply about the first picture I took with this lens. I upgraded recently to a Nikon D7000 and bought the 70-200mm f/2.8 as one of several lenses. The first shot I took was hand-held and indoors with no flash at f/2.8, 1/30sec and an ISO (believe it nor not!) of 5600, and the shot of one of my dogs is unbelievable. I was completely gob smacked at how sharp and clear the picture is, with a great rendition of colours and superb bokeh. For a one-off point and shoot, practice shot to try out the lens I can tell you that this lens is worth every penny it costs. I've taken pictures over the last 30 years and clocked up 10K shots in Galloway in the last 3 years and this lens is something else. Sell the car, re-mortgage the house or trade in the yacht and go buy one :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb lens but be prepared to build some muscles., 7 April 2013
This review is from: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Lens (Camera)
the quality and feel of this lens is superb, but it is so heavy that you have to hold the lens more than the camera, or risk damaging the mount. It is very fast and the f2.8 aperture gives excellent low light performance. If you're looking at this, you may have to decide whether you would take this one or go for the new f4 one which is about half the weight, a bit quicker, and just as good, but loses out on the light grabbing capabilities of this lens. If you're looking at travelling a lot with this lens, you will almost certainly prefer the F4 version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon 70-200 f2.8, 29 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Lens (Camera)
The lens is fantastic what can I say that has not already been said I've saved hard the Waite was worth its a fantastic lens but I have a warning to all you hopeful nikon Christmas cash back offers on this lens , Only purchase this lens from Amazon direct I purchased mine on Amazon and full filled by GreatSelections nikon would not give me the cash back because it was not supplied direct they say from Amazon not a happy chap with Nikon

5.0 out of 5 stars Optical and ergonomic masterpiece!, 5 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Lens (Camera)
This lens is simply gorgeous in every respect. By far the sharpest zoom ive ever used and its build quality is truely worthy of its price tag. I mean it really does feel like its been forged out a solid bar of metal..and then they put some extraordinary glass inside. Even the foot and mount is rock solid.

Nothing moves on the outside during zooming or focussing. The zoom ring has wonderful damping and it feels very smooth.
The VR is actually very useful in most situations, especially low light and longer focal lengths.
The fast 2.8 aperture gives amazing DOF and beautiful backgrounds.
The autofocus is blistering. Try putting the lens cap on and focussing and see how quick it racks.

It makes a huge amount of sense as your only tele zoom for DX or FX, its even pretty handy for wildlife on DX. On my D800 I have really enjoyed using it for those longer, closer in landscape shots as well as general people and nature photos.

Downsides?
It's expensive. Of course it is, its optically exquisite and tough as nails designed for years of pro use.
It's heavy. If your upgrading from a plastic DX zoom beware of this. An extra 1.5kg could be a burden to you if your not used to carrying similar gear.
At close distances the effective focal lengths actually shorten and at the long end it becomes more like a 135mm, but the fact that it actually focusses so close is a great advantage particularly if your doing journalism/pap photos. This shouldnt bother the majority of people.

With that said its a no nonsense, pro built tele that is so much better than I was expecting, and I expected a lot.

If your a pro: chances are you already have one.
If your an enthusiast: dont delay if you have use for a tele and you dont already own some good primes in the zoom range (ie 85mm 1.4, 135mm 2 etc...)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sporting lens, 5 July 2012
This review is from: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Lens (Camera)
I borrowed this lens to take pictures of runners in a race. Was particularly impressed with the sheer speed of focus, and sharpness of the resulting pictures. The lens is heavy, but this seems to add to the overall stability of the camera.

The performance is superb. Time to start saving i reckon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 17 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Lens (Camera)
I bought this lens after a LOT of deliberation. I read the reviews and watched videos trying to convince myself that this lens was what I was looking for. I'd previously bought the Nikkor 50mm f1.8 and was blown away by that lens with the sharpness and bokeh, but wanted something with more reach especially when photographing birds on the river.
I only have a Nikon D60 and read the recommendations that it's best to buy lenses that are the best you can afford and will suit any camera that you may upgrade to. So, I bought it from Amazon at the best price I could find online and that it would not be a grey import.
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
As soon as the lens arrived I unpacked it and put a Hoya UV filter on, then mounted it to the camera. Blimey. I'd heard this lens was heavy and thought it would be a bit of a handful trying to take photo's with it. I took it out into the garden and a pigeon obligingly landed on the neighbour's roof edge. Several snaps later and I was looking at some very impressive images that were sharp and with excellent colour. I then proceeded to snap away at the flowers in the garden and the bokeh was astounding. After a while I hadn't noticed the weight and found that the lens was surprisingly easy to hold steady (helped by the excellent VRII system).
Taking the camera with this lens attached to it on walks means that the strap around the neck is a serious no-no if you don't want a bout of neck ache. I carry it by the tripod mount with the neck strap wound around my wrist and find it quite comfortable, though long walks are interspersed with regular stops to photograph anything that moves, and a lot of what doesn't so I can give my wrist a rest (that sound bad, doesn't it).
In a nutshell, I am really satisfied with this lens. It gives me everything I need out of a lens and sooooo much more. Plus it'll be fantastic on any Nikon camera I may upgrade to in the future.
If you're ummming and ahhhing over whether to but this lens or not, take it from someone that has done the same, then took the plunge and hasn't regretted it one iota.
This is without a doubt for me been the best camera related purchase I have made. I just hope I can do the same with a DSLR upgrade in the future.
Thanks for reading this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 30 Sept. 2012
Mr. Putthi C. Lim (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Lens (Camera)
Been using this lens with my nikon d800e, I must say this is the best telephoto lens I've ever used. I have never had any problem with this lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars A simply stunning lens, 31 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Lens (Camera)
The quality of the images from this lens makes it worth the weight and every penny of its price. My new favorite lens

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›