5.0 out of 5 stars Great All Purpose Lens
Published on 23 Dec 2010 by C. Bowers

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me - Multipurpose but with a quality compromise....
Published on 2 Aug 2012 by Dougsterhound

5.0 out of 5 stars Great All Purpose Lens, 23 Dec 2010
C. Bowers "Chilled" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Lens (Camera)
I bought this to go with my Nikon D3100. I have several lenses but out and about changing them is a pain. I do a lot of walking and like to snap wildlife landscapes anything that takes my fancy. Results with this lens are very good across the whole range. Maybe not quite as good as multiple narrower range lenses but I would have missed many picture opportunities changing lens to get the right length. The VR works well.

Update I have had this lens a while now and it is great. It is a good compromise maybe not as long as some but means I don't have to change lens while walking and I have grabbed several shots I would have missed. Recently at a RSPB reserve with lots of very serious photographers there with massive professional long lenses. A Bittern broke cover and flew - I had the cheapest lens kit but I was the only one to get shots of the bird.

4.0 out of 5 stars The DX Jack of all Trades, 6 Oct 2012
Generally good bits:
This is the only lens you will need to take on holiday and out and about. Nothing else can match it's versatility.
Build quality is solid, zero lens creep issues at all; I can hold the lens upside down and it won't budge an inch.
The images are tack sharp and more than adequate for a one lens solution. Use it 2-3 stops below maximum aperture for good sharpness. I've taken some seriously good shots with this lens.
Nikon VRII is excellent as always, handheld shots easily possible at night and indoors.
Focusing is fast and sharp.
This lens looks the business and quite an upgrade from the (already excellent) 18-55 kit lens.

Not so good bits:
It's quite heavy compared to the standard 18-55 kit lens, but with time you get used to the weight. I would hate to think how the 18-300 weighs.
Bokeh is disappointing, which is why I carry the wide aperture 35mm DX lens as well.
Expensive: costs more than the body!
Lens flare/ghosting is more noticeable on than others I have used. There is a lot of glass inside this lens. Do not shoot into bright lights.
Beware of slapping too many filters on it, vignetting will come up with even 2 slim filters at wide angle.
Sure, there is distortion at the zoom extremes (corrected on the fly if you enable the option on the camera), and of course the technical quality it isn't as good as a stack of primes, but who wants to lug a load of primes around on the go?

This is a lens of compromises. Perfect for travel. I wouldn't use this for studio or art photography, the bokeh simply isn't good enough and as always, we dream of faster lenses.
Although the cons list looks bigger than the pros, as long as you have realistic expectations for this lens and what you want out of it, its a very good lens and highly recommended.

Overall 4/5.
As a travel & events lens 5/5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeds expectations, 22 July 2010
Peter Bailey "nordowns" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
Its seldom that you buy a product that turns out to be significantly better than expected.
In designing a highly flexible zoom lens, (11-1), the compromise between flexibility and image quality must be of prime concern. However Nikon apear to have done this VERY WELL and I am getting crisp and contrasty results over the entire range of focal length and a good selection of apertures.
The advantages of this product are, essentially, a single lens, that can be left on the camera, which can handle a very wide range of situations. The lens performance together with VRII vibration reduction certainly seems to have done the trick.
Whilst lacking in sophisticated bokeh for 'classy' portraits, where I will continue to prefer my 105mm F2 D lens, I intend to use this lens on a regular basis.
The good price/ performance ratio, relatively light weight and small size are in its favour and I am likely to use higher ISO settings in low light conditions because of the higher f numbers. The cost, size and weight of the Nikon f2.8 zoom offerings are not such an attractive option except for the keenest professionals!!

Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rarely off the camera, 27 May 2011
M. Babb - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
If there's one lens you leave on your camera so it's ready to pick up at a moment's notice, this is the one to choose.

The 18-200 range is great for everything but the most demanding of shoots. I use my Sigma 10-20 for extra-wide shots, and my Sigma 150-500 for the extra-long shots, but often fine I'm too close or too far away when I suddenly need to take a shot I wasn't expecting.

Some reviewers knock this lens for being a tad soft, but to be honest, on my D90 I've shot this against my Sigma 10-20, Sigma 150 macro, Sigma 150-500 and Nikon 50mm all at corresponding focal lengths and you'd be hard to tell them all apart without pixel peeping. Not all professional lenses, but generally what most of us would have in our kit. It it can hold its own against the Nikon 50mm, it's good enough for me. My wedding photographer used the VR I version on a D200, and despite me being in them the prints came out stunning.

The construction is reassuringly solid, with smooth focus and zoom. VR works perfectly, near silent and if your target isn't moving does indeed give you 2-3 stops over non-VR.

The only negative points I have are that you can't zoom very well when the hood is reversed (it covers much of the zoom ring - but that's true of many lenses) and that it is a little loose, so pointing skywards does result in it zooming in slowly.

Even though it's only 18mm at its widest, you'll still get vignetting using a polariser unless it's quite a thin one, if you've got a skylight permanently attached.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me - Multipurpose but with a quality compromise...., 2 Aug 2012
I bought this for my Nikon 5100D. After reading some varied reviews I found that in spite of the potential single lens for most purposes, I was disappointed with the sharpness and contrast of this lens at telephoto focal lengths. It was sharp and good quality for wide angle and standard as well as in a macro role. I decided to return it and my Amazon market place seller gave full refund minus postage as it was returned in perfect condition. I am much happier with a two lens option, going for a Nikon's 70-300 instead after carefully checking it against the 55-300 alternative. The 70-300 had the edge for me in a comparison at my local camera shop.

My experience would be in accord with those reviews critical of the quality of the 18-200, although some may find the quality compromise acceptable if they are wedded to a single lens solution. It shows the importance of trying out products ......and checking returns policies!

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget about your cred, and take more pictures instead!, 30 Dec 2010
D. S. Robson "dsrobson" (Buckinghamshire) - See all my reviews
I have a Nikon D300, and it originally came with the Sigma 18 -200mm lens, which I have successfully used for a couple of years, and with which I have taken many pictures. So why buy one of these relatively expensive Nikon lenses, that mostly does the same job?

Well, the first thing to understand is just how useful a lens with this spread of focal length really is, and I learnt that with the Sigma, and the Nikon lens simply reinforces the opinion. If you only have one zoom-type lens, then the 18-200 range is absolutely fantastic. It changes the way that you look at things.

Down at the 18mm end of the travel, you are looking at a landscape or a building where the image in the viewfinder is probably a lot higher and wider than you actually see in real life. Most of us just use the bit in the middle of our vision for most of the time. At the 18mm end, you need to look around a lot more at what you want to capture, and then you need to look around in the viewfinder a lot, to make sure you have framed the shot you want. And then you want the detail, so you head towards the other end of the zoom, towards the 200mm setting, and there is the detail you want to capture. You can go, with the twist of your wrist, from the whole of your view, to a small piece of the detail. None of us routinely see the world this way, so it takes a while to realise what such a lens does. The only other thing that does that, is a one litre sports motorbike, and on one of those you will risk being locked up if you are caught twisting your wrist that much!

If you want a beautiful bokeh with the detail, that seems to be the Nikon's biggest advantage over the Sigma, so far as I can see. It also feels a lot more solid, but then the Sigma has survived a couple of years of use, and the Nikon is still new, so time alone will tell. As it is, the only disadvantage to having an 18-200mm lens is that you loose a bit of the perceived credibility that comes with lots of strapping-on of different lenses, for different shots. Of course, with the single lens, you capture things you would otherwise have missed while doing the lens change, but the reality is that with a lens of this type, you really can use your digital SLR camera like one of those drunk ladies camera's, that sometimes make you wonder why you bother lugging a big kit about! These lenses really are that good, that you will find that you fit it, and forget it, for most of the time.

When I go out to try to do some serious wildlife pictures, I will always take (OK lug), the 80-400mm zoom but I will walk in with the 18-200 fitted and capture what I can on the way. Sometimes specialist is good, sometimes it's versatility that delivers, and for versatility, this lens simply delivers what you need, for a huge percentage of both time and subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic lens for most occassions, 15 Aug 2010
I nearly bought this lens a few months ago, but instead bought the 10-24mm for landscape use. Whilst that too is a fantastic lens, I probably regretted not getting this lens virtually every day since. My 18-135 and 55-200 meant I was often caught between two lenses when out and about taking regular shots. This single lens covers the range of both of these lenses, and the optics are far superior to both. The VR II helps ensure crisp sharply focussed images.

Was doing a lot of wildlife photography recently with the 55-200, and also trying to photograph spiders in the back garden. The quality of images on this new lens far surpasses the old one in every respect - really fast accurate focusing (although the manual override, without having to change to full manual focus is brilliant). It focuses down to about 8" from the front of the lens at full zoom, allowing excellent macro shots (obviously not as good as a true dedicated macro lens, but more than acceptable for the average user, like myself.

I can't think of anything wrong with this lens - I love it, and will be on my camera body 90% of the time. Buy it and you won't be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Lens, 18 Sep 2010
I have this lens attached to my Nikon D200, and very rarely take it off. It's a really excellent lens and the images it produces are breathtaking. The VR really is fantastic, and I can shoot at much lower SS and still have pin-sharp images. I regularly shoot at 1/125 at full 200mm, and there is no motion blur in the images produced. One tiny niggle with it is that the zoom ring is the outer ring (further from the camera), and this seems to be an unnatural placement. You get used to it, but it feels wrong. It's also difficult to zoom if you have the lens shade attached, but facing inwards. Minor quibble, but something that you might want to consider.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic lens, 22 Oct 2012
Mrs. L. S. Winter (UK) - See all my reviews
I have just received the Nikon 18-200mm lens, which is for use with a Nikon D60. I originally purchased a tamron 18- 200 mm lens which I was not happy with when using it at full zoom. The Nikon absolutely surpasses the Tamron . This will be the main lens I will use now and it is worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent all-purpose lens, 23 July 2012
People appear a bit divided about this lens, and it seems to be one that is not well-liked by "serious" photographers. I think it is a great little piece of kit, and probably use it more than any other lens because it is so versatile. Any lens that covers such a wide range is going to involve a degree of compromise, so you can probably find one for individual situations that does a better job than this one, but you won't find another lens that can be used in so many different situations. Some of the reviews say it is not particularly sharp, but I find it sharp enough. As with any zoom, the image quality lessens as you approach either end of the focal range, but for the most it is good enough.

Until the 18-300mm becomes more widely available, this is likely to remain the definitive travel/walkabout lens for DX cameras.

Just a note of caution. I found this lens difficult to get hold of for a while, and ordered one off Amazon market-place. I received a lens in a plain white box, with no packaging, no instructions and no warranty. Not sure what the real story was behind it, but I was not happy and sent it back for a refund. I then searched around a bit, and found one a legit, Nikon-boxed example, stocked by a high street shop for considerably less than the Amazon market-place seller had charged. So I advise shopping round a bit before you buy one of these. I won't disclose the identity of the high-street store, but I will say it was not somewhere I would normally associate with selling quality camera gear.