Philips Robust Food Processor

Just the other day I was having a conversation with my mother about whether a food processor would be able to meet her culinary needs and allow her not to unpack her ancient Kenwood Chef (one of the early models). She generally uses it to mix up dough and cake mixtures, and although it's noisy and you have to hold it down with both hands to prevent it from making a leap for the back door to freedom, it's done a sterling job in her household since I was a child.

On reading the instructions of the Philips Robust Food processor, I was intrigued to find that it claimed to be able to mix up cake mixtures and kneed dough with it's dough-hook. Keen to put this to the test, we proceeded to make a nice chocolate cake for the Robust's inaugural use so that we could prove it's worth...

On unboxing it, it is clear that this is a well-made piece of kit. I wouldn't previously have thought of Philips when thinking of Food Processor brands, but this is really very impressive. The colouring and proportions lend itself to a very classy and sturdy device. It has suction cups on the base to help hold it in place - which is a nice touch, and everything fits together nicely. The dough hook and blade attachment have a nice "machined" quality about them that are reassuringly durable in feel.

I'm not sure what Philips are referring to when they describe the polystyrene packaging as the "storage box" for the various parts. The parts have gone in a drawer, and the polystyrene has gone in the bin.

Anyway, on to the use of the machine. Striking it up it was pleasantly not a racket-maker. The suction cups held it in place fine, and generally we nodded to eachother that things were looking good.

However, mixing up a cake was what we were trying to test it in doing, and it was here that the device fell down slightly. The manual states that you should use the double-balloon beater for soft pudding mixes, but if you are wanting to mix up any ingredients that are tougher, such as butter/flour/sugar/eggs cake ingredients, as well as dough, you must use the dough hook. The dough hook is not really cut out for mixing up a cake as we found, especially once you add liquid or crack a couple of eggs into the mix. The hook doesn't get to all the places in the bowl as you might expect, and despite trying to scrape things into it's path every now and then, we eventually aborted the operation and transferred to a good-ol' mixing bowl and wooden spoon. The resulting chocolate cake rose perfectly and tasted lovely, so it wasn't all bad.

Now, don't get me wrong, this is not necessarily the fault of the device, more-so it's just Philips trying to pitch the Robust Food Processor outside it's remit. Dough-making may prove more successful when I get round to trying some bread, but cake mixing in this thing is going to be left off the agenda from here on.

I have since use the main cutting blade, and one of the slicing discs, and this is where the Robust is far more at home, dealing with whatever I threw down it's chute with great aplomb. It really is very good to use and I can't fault it on that front.

Cleaning is the usual convoluted affair with this sort of equipment, with the bowl, lid, pusher and all the other attachments that you use, but if you're in need of a processor you'll be willing to make that sacrifice anyway.

As I said, I wouldn't normally of considered Philips in my list of preferred Food Processor manufacturers, but this Robust has been a bit of a surprise. I can wholeheartedly say that it can keep company with the best of the food processors in this sort of ilk. I would have liked better storage, and I wouldn't have wasted time implying it will mix up ingredients for a cake, but other than that, there is little to fault in this classy unit.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Philips has produced an impressively sturdy food processor. It is big.

The ergonomics are almost spot on, the tools selection is reasonably comprehensive, and the performance when handling food is generally excellent and surprisingly quiet. The warranty is exceptional, fifteen years for the motor, five years for the tools. It has a nice solid feel, and I don't expect to be calling on the warranty.

The base has a cast metal outer casing to house the motor. Semi-circular rubber pads front and back take the weight, and a couple of suckers hold it down to help prevent it walking away. I've not taken it apart to see better if the casing is the main chassis, but it has that reassuringly cold, rigid and solid feel to it. It has two speeds and pulse. The pulse can be used when in the slow speed or from standstill. When using the steady speeds the acceleration is gentle, giving one enough time to react and turn it off if the food is wrong for the chosen tool or speed. However, I would have liked to see a variable speed, like on my electric drill; it should be possible, especially when considering the duty cycle on the processor is much less arduous than that for the drill.

Although the most powerful, it is the quietest of our three food processors by a good margin, you only realise how quiet when comparing the noise made by the blades on the different types of food - nuts - carrots - chipping etc. They all have different loudnesses; whereas with some processors the harsh motor and grinding gears dominate everything, swamping the sweeter chopping noises.

The mixer bowl has a 3 litre capacity and feels reassuringly more substantial than those on my other two processors, an elderly Morphy Richards Compact Food Processor 48430 White, still the most ergonomic but slowly falling to pieces, and the deafening Jamie Oliver Food Processor. The bowl locks in securely by pulling the handle towards oneself, at between the 4 and 5 o'clock position relative to the controls on the front at 6 o'clock. The filler spout in the lid sits above the handle, locking in the same direction. And so, after some experimentation, I've set it on the worktop with the handle and spout just to the right of the centre line and the control buttons just to the left, as the most ergonomic compromise.

The selection of tools is useful and varied, and includes a dough kneading hook and a novel (to me) two-rotor whisking balloon beater. All seem to work as expected, and we've been experimenting with them for the last few days. The chipper disc produces small Julienne chips very quickly, a potato just vanishes! The graters are fine and coarse, two sides of the same disc, and the coarse and fine slicer/shaver use the same trick.

We have not had any problems with clogging yet, but then we've only been using our normal foods, apples, carrots, potatoes, eggs, flour, butter, yoghurt, cream, etc. No bread yet, but the first pizza had nice dough. In three days we've also made chips, scones, cup-cakes, shortbread biscuits, breadcrumbs, apple charlotte, apple strudel, etc, and all have turned out as expected.

I could not help but laugh out loud when reading the instructions where Philips suggest that the massive 39cm x 42cm x 47cm polystyrene block it came in should be used to store the processor and its accessories. Surely they are taking the Michael? Just how big do they think my kitchen is? Also, the protective cover offered for the chopping blade is a flimsy joke, especially when compared with the excellent and durable hard cover offered by MR, or the storage drawer in the space-efficient JO. Satisfactory tools storage could have been a problem, but I already have some wooden dowels stuck in the side wall of the kitchen, and all the sharp items fit over these nicely, conveniently just to the right of the machine itself.

My daughter ran a small restaurant in France for a couple of years, and she reckons that this machine would have coped well in that semi-professional environment, although maybe the disc tools might have needed replacement through the usual wear and tear. For normal domestic use this processor and its tools should see me out quite happily, barring vandalism or clumsy storage.

Conclusion? Recommended. Serious cooks will love it. Just be aware it takes up quite a lot of space, and might not be welcome in a bijou kitchen.

Addendum 29/11/09.
Best stuffing in ages; slice in an onion, some mushrooms, then chop them with well-toasted granary bread crusts, garlic, rosemary and parsley and a little cold butter, and a tiny hint of five-spice, for rolling inside a belly pork roast.
However I later failed with sort-of-Julienne carrots, it needed a slotted ram assembly to stop them wandering away. So I have since made one from some scraps of wood, and it sort of works, with resulting carrot bits 5mm square up to 20mm long and almost no left-overs.

Addendum 29/01/10
We fire this up four or five times a week. Reliable, easy, so quick. Cakes, cupcakes and soups are fantastic, and we've just fiddled through four batches of marmalade. The temptation is to do too much, because at 3 litres it is a large machine. So I now use a hand blender/chopper/whisk for some smaller items when I used to be able to use the MR (given away and still, somehow, working).

Addendum 31/10/2010
It still works very well with no signs of wear and tear. BUT, there is one big niggle, the lid is not a tight fit on the bowl.
This means that even if the lid is held down to the bowl, it leaks when blending something with more liquid in it, such as a soup. The quantity in the bowl is not significant; even when just a quarter full it is still spun up the sides and oozes out all round from under the lid. We have found that a very thin long rubber-band used like an o-ring makes a big improvement in reducing the leaks, but, alas, the bands only have a
short life before they perish and break, and the grip of the rubber makes it awkward sliding the lid into lock.

Addendum 30/5/2014
Still working well. However I have needed to resharpen the grater discs and the chopping blade a couple of times. I used some toolmakers dressing stones (these needle files might also do) to restore the edges on the holes in the graters, very fiddly because I did not want to break the thin stones and the holes need to be sharpened from inside. Fortunately putting the edge back on the chopping blade is trivial, and here a standard rectangular sharpening stone works a treat.
44 comments|30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This truly is my new best friend in the kitchen.

What a fabulous machine! I usually do not like food processors and used to have lots of different machines, like a food mixer, chopper, electric grater and handheld beaters. The thought of one of these with all the different attachments petrified me...!

That was until I met the Philips Robust Food Processor! Its just amazing. The first thing that you notice is the fantastic build quality. Its of a tough, strong, metal construction and even the 1200 watt motor has a whopping 15 year guarantee so I knew from the moment I opened the box that I was onto a winner! It is VERY heavy!

There are rubber suckers on the bottom which ensure it stays firmly in place even when kneading bread.

Everything about it has been designed with the user in mind. The feeding chute is large and round and is designed to fit fruit without the need of chopping them before hand which always was a big drawback from previous machines. The attachments all clip into place with a reassuring locking sound. There is a massive 3 litre bowl which is great for families, it is also very easy to clean, I do not own a dishwasher and wash everything by hand. There are very few crevices for food to get stuck or for dirt to settle. Washing up takes a couple of minutes tops! One thing I do want to point out is how solid the plastic parts are. I dropped the bowl and it didnt crack or become marked in any way! It truly is the most solid plastic I have handled. Also, the attachments are stainless steel and feel very heavy.

This processor can whisk cream in seconds, make cake mixture and even has the tools to make bread dough! The motor doesnt even flinch when you put tough, sticky food inside and carries on with the mixing! It looks really good in the kitchen and people always ask about it which is very flattering! It has even replaced my Kenwood Chef as you can bake cakes and make pastry. You need to use the chopping blade to create a breadcrumb consistency from butter and flour when making pastry, and that is something I hate doing by hand! Its not the best machine for making pastry but it is certainly acceptable if you knead it towards the end.

My only complaint is that you cannot adjust the speed. There is only one speed which is abit fast for some ingredients, but you can slow it down by using the pulse function instead. Thats not ideal but its a small price to pay for such a solid machine.

I know these are very expensive compared to other models but this is a proper machine that will probably outlast anything else on the market. The warranty on the motor is for 15 years and the whole machine itself is guaranteed for 5 years which shows that the manufacturer has confidence in their products.

If you can afford it and your on the lookout for a processor then look no further.

5 stars well and truly deserved.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 24 February 2010
I looked at different machines to perform a slicing task and chose the Robust because not only would it slice but also had enough other parts to justify the price tag. I also took note of the other reviews on Amazon and I can say that so far so good. It has a very clean design with no awkward areas to get too. The tools pop in and out with ease and slicing disk does the work of cutting Seville oranges with ease. Initially I thought that the 1.8mm slice would be the best option but the slicer seemed to struggle with the fruit. I therefore turned it over to use the 3.5mm and the slicing is perfect for my requirement. I found the best method was to half the oranges and put a couple of halves in at once, put the plunger in to hold them in place and use the pulse function. I woulod agree with other reviews that the blade wobbles about slightly which is due to way the unit is designed to hold the blade but this does not stop or impair the functionality or the results. Well worth the money if the budget allows which considering you get a 15 year warranty makes that just over 44 pence per week!
VINE VOICEon 10 December 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a good solid piece of kit from Philips. Cast metal base, very sharp solid blades and accessories, well, all bar one of them, which I'll come on to later. Be aware the unit is quite large, it has a very large bowl which is good, but it will look out of place in a small kitchen.
Keep the bubble wrap blade envelopes as no other storage is provided. They recommend using the polystyrene packaging to store the accessories in, but it is unlikely many people would want that in their kitchen.
There is a dual shredder blade, coarse and fine. I tested the fine on carrots and it produced a lovely fine shred, just perfect for making a carrot salad or fine coleslaw.
There is a dual slicing blade, coarse and fine. The fine blade cuts potatoes into very uniform thin slices, ideal for a potato dauphinoise or slightly thick crisps. The coarse blade did carrot rounds and onions very well, ideal for a casserole or stew.
There is a French fry blade as well, worked well to a degree, although the chips tended to be very short, as the blade is slicing against the short edge of the potato, not the long edge. It also tended to `grab' the last bit of potato and jam it in the blade, rather than slicing it down to nothing, but this is a small point really.
There is a twin balloon whisk attachment which I currently haven't been able to try, but it looks very good.
Now the bad. The traditional twin blade attachment you get with all food processors gave me great cause for concern. There doesn't seem to be any way of securing the blade down, it just sits on top of the drive point like all the attachments. When I started the food processor with this attachment it seemed to wobble about wildly and whilst I'm sure it would work fine, I didn't want to try it myself, something wasn't right.
All said, a fine processor if quite expensive.
This Philips Robust Food Processor is very well made ... it feels like it was hewn from living rock and quite frankly puts the (more well known) competition in the shade.

It comes with a steel blade and 3 slicing/chipping/grating blades and a dough hook ... and a 2 headed beater for light batters and cream/egg whites.

There are 2 speeds plus a pulse button, and 2 suckers on the feet to keep everything in trim.

The feed tube is wide enough for a small apple/medium spud and the bowl is huge ... 4 litres. At first I was worried that it would not be any good for small quantities, but it seems to be perfectly OK ... in fact, the large bowl seems to put a bit more air into the mix, and we have had better results on pastry and scones from the Philips Robust Processor than our our Magimix.

For some the weight and heft may be a problem as you are getting close to 10KGs, but not a problem for me, and that heft stops it jumping about.

Our old Robot Coupe lasted 25 years ... I expect this to do the same.

So far we have made pastry, crumble mix ... fantastic meringues and used the slicing facility ... all worked brilliantly. Probably the only thing I would not use it for is for chips ... (unless you like little stubby ones) ... the feed is just too small.

Having used this and the Magimix ... the philips is streets ahead.
on 28 October 2010
We never make a hasty decision, so, with the advice of family and shop assistants, we bought a Magimix. DO NOT GO THERE! Within two washes, (that's handwash - not dishwasher), the large and small blades has rust spots. It went back and a replacement was sent to us. Guess what, exactly the same problem - rust spots on the blades; it also did not like hard cheese when we tried to grate. We contacted Magimix and they weren't interested, so return again for full refund. (Thank you Amazon). We saw the Philips HR7781/00 being demonstrated, (we were looking for kitchen lights!), and were impressed. Return home, look on Amazon, of course it was cheaper, ordered and arrived within two days.

WHAT A MACHINE!

It cannot be compared to anything else, it is in a class of it's own, nothing comes near it. Everything we've used it for, it copes easily and when we used it to make a crumble, (I know this sounds a bit naff), it was the best crumble we've had for years. It grates the hardest cheese with ease, (sorry about that!!!). We used it to make a sponge cake and every ingredient was well mixed, there was no residue around the bowl, like some machines leave.
The machine is a pleasure to use. We put the components in the dishwasher, no problem; Robust by name - Robust by design! All the blades are SHARP, well finished all round and the tools included are enough to be able to do everything you would expect of a good food processor. With the suction feet, it does not move, even when put under load conditions, for example the hardest cheese, it simply does the job.
Yes, it's a bit more expensive than others on the market, but worth every penny
on 10 November 2010
Read reviews on different food processors and decided to buy this one. It is very very good so far. I used the chopper everyday and it is still going strong. Also, it looks good in my kitchen. Great
on 6 July 2011
I've bought cheaper models in the past only for them to fail just 12 months later (or less). This time I wanted to buy a food processor that would really last and I have always liked the high end Kenwood (friends and family members have this great bit of kit). However I was drawn to this Philips unit because of the other reviewers' comments saying it was better than the Kenwood unit they'd owned for 30 years! And it cost less too. Intriguing!

I'm pleased to report that having had this unit for a while now it's exceeded my high expectations and can happily say that I too believe it will outlast my aforementioned folks' Kenwoods. It does everything you could possibly want from a food processor and it does so really fast and is relatively quite quiet. Super easy to clean too.

With a 15 year guarantee on that all important motor you know that Philips are mighty confident in their beautifully chunky appliance.
on 3 April 2011
When my old processor finally gave up the ghost we decided to splash out and invest in a top quality food processor. Having looked at reviews of different machines we decided to get this one, and I am absolutely thrilled with it. I use it all the time - I make lots of cakes and have found this machine perfect for the purpose. Further to a previous review that said this machine was not that good for cakes, I actually use the chopping knife to mix up cakes and it works perfectly. I've found that I can just about fit a 12 egg cake mix in the bowl, and the knife mixes it wonderfully well. Because the base part that the attachments fit on has no hole, once I've mixed the cake, if I want to add nuts or dried fruit that would get too chopped up by the blade, I simply remove the blade and quickly stir in the fruit or nuts. I make scones in the processor as well, I simply chuck the butter in with the flour and the knife mixes it to breadrumb consistency in about 5 seconds, then I add sugar and as it mixes I tip the milk in down the feeding tube, and voila, perfect scone mix in about 30 seconds. And no one will ever know you haven't done all that tedious hand rubbing in of the butter!

I also use the processor all the time for grating, slicing and chopping fruit, vegetables, nuts and so on, and it simply works perfectly, so we now enjoy eating all sorts of things we didnt use to because I couldnt be bothered to spend ages wiht a knife and chopping board!

All the parts are easy to wash, there are not fiddly little ridges or difficult to get to bits for food to get stuck to - I put mine in the dishwasher and it all washes perfectly well.

Although this machine is pricey, you just have to look on it as an investment for a lifetime and if you can afford a top range processor then I don't think this one can be beaten.

See one answered question