Do you remember the nineties? I don't, but if you do, then you may also recall Trashcan Sinatras (then known as The Trash Can Sinatras) from such albums as "Cake", "I've Seen Everything" and "A Happy Pocket". They were the next big thing for quite some time back then, but never managed to force their way out of the Guardian and on to the radio, despite 1993 nearly being their year.

Which is surprising as The Artists Formerly Known As The Trash Can Sinatras have written some nice songs over the years and now, five years after "Weightlifting", they're back with some more nice songs. From the opening 'People' through the Carly Simon enhanced (yes, really) 'Should I Pray' to 'Morning Star', this is a really nice record.

With half of TAFKATTCS now California based, there is even more of an open feel to the music, which may or may not be connected to their new environment. Whatever, it works well, so don't leave this in the hands of the Observer Music Monthly. Have a listen. It may prove to be a nice surprise.
on 3 November 2009
5 years is too long to wait for another slice of TCS - it makes for too high expectation.

With many of my other favourite artists this can be a problem as each new release disapoints, not here - it's another quality set of songs. Why this band are not better known and enjoying reward for such artistry is beyond me.

If you know the bands previous output - dive straight in, the water's as warm as you remember. If you are new to TCS, think of smooth songs, jangly guitars, feel good factor, great lyrics, not a bad track in sight and certainly be prepared for songs that stick in your head and keep you sliding the CD back in the tray.

For further enjoyment - check out Fez - all the songs up to 'weightlifting' done acoustic - my favourite TCS album.

Lastly, people - stop the negs about 'A happy pocket', yes, it was the one where they tried to get a hit single and go more mainstream but there are great songs on there. That said - buy this one instead amd work backwards.. you will be hooked, I promise.
on 25 January 2010
I'm a frenchman who loves Trash can sinatras since the beginning.
This band sounds like anyband else.
Listenning their records is like being with old friends, you feel good.

But i am disapointed, this is impossible to find the new album in France and this is very hard to download it.

Please make an effort with your french fans. We are few but still here. Is scotland son far from Paris?

Apologize for my poor english
on 20 November 2009
If melodies and pure songwriting craft is what you are looking for then you'll find it in spades on this album. Think Travis with Crowded House melodies and harmonies.

Standout tracks are Prisons and Should I pray? (with Carly Simon). Music to put your feet up and relax to. I couldn't recommend it highly enough.
on 30 January 2014
Make no bones about it, I love this band - and have praised them to the skies since Cake landed on my cd player. I've heard this cd four times now and it's just dawning on me why I did not 100% take to it as I may have done to other albums of theirs. They are not the same age as when they made Cake, or I've Seen Everything, A Happy Pocket, Weightlifting etc... they have matured, and they have probably been influenced by other music etc. It's NOT to say there aren't typical excellent lyrics and beautiful melodies because they're all there - it just feels an older album. Having said that I'm on my 5th listen as I write this, and I'm appreciating it more and more.
You know this band are talented, unsung Scottish melodic music maestros and just sublime in their cohesion as a unit, so it does make sense that In The Music sounds slightly different to other albums they've produced. I'm dead chuffed I bought it.
on 2 October 2009
being a Trashcans fan since 'Obscurity Knocks' I have followed them through all of their albums and with a few small blips ( Cannot get my head around 'A Happy Pocket' although some good tracks on it).

I was joyful over the return to form of 'Weightlifting' and now with the release of 'In the Music' I am glad to see them back to doing what they do best..creating some lovely songs.

From the opener of 'People' to the last track 'I wish you'd met her' this is an album to bring a smile to your face and make you dream of days with a pint in the sun watching the world go by.

I don't know if it is the californian influence but this album is infused with light and the feeling of warmth.

Favourite track for me is 'Oranges and Apples' very rarely does a day go by without me listening to that track.

If you want an album to wash away your winter blues or just to instil in you faith in musicians creating good music (something we need in this homogenised musical desert we call the charts) then this is the album for you.

Buy it and enjoy!
on 27 December 2009
Buy this cd. Album of the year and while you are at it buy their other cds. The Trashcan Sinatras are an essential group for any collection
on 7 April 2016
Sublime, a wonderful album. I regret that I didn't discover this band earlier.
on 21 March 2011
I bought this on the strength of 'Oranges And Apples' but was mildly disappointed. Had not heard the Trashcans much before. Nice harmonies. Unsure of the lyrics. Are the religious overtones real or imagined? Maybe my judgement has been affected by the new Decemberists' CD, which puts everything else in the shade.