5.0 out of 5 stars For this album, give some time...
I have to say that I was very surprised when I pressed play and found that Richard Hawley's latest was a heady mixture of Drum 'n' Bass, gangsta rap and speed metal.

I am, of course, joking. If you have heard "Coles Corner", "Lady's Bridge", or any of his earlier solo albums, then you will be fairly familiar with Hawley's style and will know pretty much what...
Published on 7 Nov. 2009 by Andy Sweeney

3.0 out of 5 stars Always listen before buying
Richard Hawley has a great voice as stated in the critics column. But have realised am not into crooners anymore, not since the great Frank Sinatra went missing. So must listen before buying, not the first time, so easy to get carried away when reading other peoples' reactions and opinions. Have put it into library so it may grow on me ... maybe.
Published on 29 Oct. 2012 by Mr. B. R. Burge

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Dark Yet (But It's Getting There), 21 Jan. 2010
pikeyboy (carmarthen, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Truelove's Gutter (MP3 Download)
It's almost impossible to criticize Mr. Hawley, but I feel myself pulling against the tide of unstinting praise levelled at this opus. While certainly (to my ears) far from his best, it may well prove his most mature and enduring release. Where "The Sun Refused To Shine" left its last shimmering refrains at the close of "Lady's Bridge", and seemed to hint at something more cinematic and picturesque to come, I find "Truelove's Gutter" on the whole to be something of a retreading over familiar ground, only rather grander and more epic in scope. Personally, I feel RH has never really recovered from missing out on the Mercury Prize the year he clearly deserved to win with "Cole's Corner" and so cast an eye over the Elbow blueprint and decided something more dark and epic was required in order to be taken more seriously, when he himself knows full well there is nothing wrong with a lighter, more populist touch (ask The Beatles). Myself, I'm no huge Elbow fan: I think "The Seldom Seen Kid" is alright, but I won't be listening to it again in a hurry. It don't float my boat. RH, however, for his muscular larynx alone is another kettle of cucumber, and he doesn't need to hide behind all the distractions of a multivaried array of glass harmonicas, musical saws, and so on. Tom Waits is the master of that, and I prefer him with just a piano or acoustic guitar, not cloaked behind various guises. Hawley's masterpiece is still "Cole's Corner", where he elegantly displayed use of a beautiful baritone to match that of Mr. Walker (S). "Truelove..." had it been made recently by Scott (W) would be a welcome return to fire and glory, and "For Your Lover, Give Some Time" has more than the odd Brel-ish shade to it. The single, "Open Up Your Door" has a beautiful coda an the final refrain, but it has already been usurped in order to sell luxury ice cream. The best tracks are the longest two: "Remorse Code" and "Soldier On" with its opulent crescendo, for me, take pride of place as classics to match anything in Hawley's canon, but I hope he lets more light in on his next outing. What about an album of eclectic covers, a "Pin-Ups" for the times. Just a thought.

5.0 out of 5 stars hawley's genius shines through again, 10 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Truelove's Gutter (Audio CD)
I DIDN'T KNOW QUITE WHAT TO EXPECT FROM RICHARD'S NEW OFFERING,WOULD IT BE SIMILAR TO LADY'S BRIDGE AND COLE'S CORNER? THE ANSWER IS NO.FROM THE OPENING BARS OF AS THE DAWN BREAKS TO THE LAST TRACK,DON'T YOU CRY THE WHOLE THING JUST WASHES OVER YOU IN A WAY THAT IS INTENDED.SOME CRITICS MAY SAY IT'S ONE-PACED,BUT THEN THAT WOULD BE MISSING THE POINTAS IT IS OBVIOUS THIS IS THE WAY HE INTENDED IT TO BE.HAWLEY'S MUSIC SHOULD BE HEARD BY A WIDER AUDIENCE,BUT AS RICHARD HIMSELF SAYS,"NOTHING GREAT EVER CAME OUT OF SUCCESS".THIS ALBUM JUST DRAWS YOU IN AND TAKES YOU ON A JOURNEY LIKE NO OTHER."REMORSE CODE" IS ASTONISHING IN IT'S BEAUTY AND ELEGANCE AS IS "DON'T YOU CRY",AND DON'T BE PUT OFF BY THEIR LENGTH BECAUSE IT ADDS TO THE MOOD.I CAN'T EMPHASISE TOO HIGHLY HOW GOOD THIS MAN IS AND FOR ME IS THE BEST SINGER I HAVE EVER HEARD AND THERE HAVE BEEN SOME GOOD ONES THROUGH THE PASSAGE OF TIME.IN THESE DAYS OF IMAGE CONCIOUS ARTISTS,IT'S SO REFRESHING TO LISTEN TO SOMEONE WHERE IMAGE IS REDUNDANT.

5.0 out of 5 stars Total Suprise, 14 Feb. 2010
D. Cheeney - See all my reviews
This review is from: Truelove's Gutter (Audio CD)
I was not a fan, I have heard all his previous albums and found them lacking in originality. I am always willing to listen, and in this case I am glad I did. The album is amazing. Six out of the Eight songs gripped me to such an extent I can't stop listening to them. The stand out track is 'Soldier On', which is the best love song I've heard since Nick Cave's 'Into Your Arms'; lyrically and musically gripping. Still not a fan of his earlier stuff, but I would recommend this album to anyone who loves music, and has a heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking CD, 6 Oct. 2009
S. Lockyer (lancashire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Truelove's Gutter (Audio CD)
Heard him playing on Mark and Stuarts show on Radio 2 and thought that was a classic sound and bought the album superb sound, great lyrics a really easy album to listen to. A really warm sound with the strings and he has a gravelly voice. I had not heard him before buying this but will try some others now

5.0 out of 5 stars comes up trumps again!, 17 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Truelove's Gutter (Audio CD)
another gem from hawley and improves with listening. saw him live in gateshead and the live versions were stupendous and that improved the next hearings on cd. roll on the next one!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 30 Dec. 2009
Rubbaba (South Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Truelove's Gutter (Audio CD)
I bought this for my partner for Xmas and he hasn't stopped playing it yet. He loves it. I haven't listened to it myself yet so I can't make any comments on what it's like. I hope to get chance to listen to it before he wears it out!

5.0 out of 5 stars what a voice, 29 Jan. 2010
Gave it as a gift.
Didn't know this artist before hearing it on Spotiy. Very nice music to listen to.

5.0 out of 5 stars smooth, 31 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Truelove's Gutter (Audio CD)
short & sweet. if you like good music (no electronic voice enhancements which I am sick of), this album is brill. Best music i've listened to for ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars a grate voice of our times, 21 Mar. 2010
Tiago Batista (Portugal, Lisbon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Truelove's Gutter (Audio CD)
I must say I like romantic music. Richard Hawley takes it to the next level. Wonderful music

4.0 out of 5 stars Truelove's Gutter, 30 Oct. 2009
Ral Austen "Bunny" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Truelove's Gutter (Audio CD)
Different, moorish, it's hard to say in what mood you have to be to listen to this cd but at the end you will feel much better for the experience. Definately worth buying.I am a recent fan of Richard having heard him on local radio. Go and buy it! It will be the best thing you have done for ages.

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

Truelove's Gutter
Truelove's Gutter by Richard Hawley (Audio CD - 2009)
Click for more info