5.0 out of 5 stars A modern art - Artfully modern !
Published on 20 Sep 2009 by J. D. Naylor

2.0 out of 5 stars CD review
It must be me but this just doesn't work. It must be the strangest album that I've heard for sometime. I do have at least four other Claire Martin albums so it's not like I've just heard her for the first time.

The problem for me is with the songs none of which I feel suit her voice and she's written two of them herself !It must be me.

Great band...
Published on 30 Sep 2009 by Mr. M. D. Brocket

5.0 out of 5 stars A modern art - Artfully modern !, 20 Sep 2009
J. D. Naylor "jazzfan" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: A Modern Art (Audio CD)
An outstanding album from British jazz vocalist Claire Martin and possibly her best recording yet.The album itself is summed up nicely by the title "Modern Art" and does exactly what it says on the label.Instead of relying on the jazz singers staple diet of standards and ballads,Martin has abandoned that concept in place of a thoroughly contemporary feel.Majority of the songs reflect modern times and modern living and not those romantically tinged Great American songbook standards.This is reflected in songs like "Modern Art","Edgeways" and "Everything..." with their quirky and,at times,humerous lyrics.This is a nicely balanced set that draws on influences from jazz,funk,pop and latin for a very modern feel but no compromise on the quality.
Martin, as always is superb and has put her heart and soul into this project and genuinely believes that jazz singing is a modern art and is to be respected as such.The songs themselves are complemented by some nice solos from the nimble Gareth Williams at the Piano and the fleet fingered Nigel Hitchcock on Alto sax. A mention also for newcomer James Maddren in the drummer's chair who adds some some colour and complexity to the,at times,ordinary task of accompanying a singer.
Outsanding stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Claire Martin - A Modern Art, 31 Oct 2009
R. S. Barraclough (Sussex UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Modern Art (Audio CD)
This is a mix of Claire's own tunes, classics from the American songbook, and some eclectic stuff from the likes of Donald Fagen. It works really well as a whole. Great band and production sound on the Linn CD as usual. If you like Jazz, you'll love this. Its also accessible to hitherto non-Jazzers as the song selection comes from a number of genres. Top Notch. 9/10

2.0 out of 5 stars CD review, 30 Sep 2009
Mr. M. D. Brocket (Sheffield,England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Modern Art (Audio CD)

Great band with a great vocalist should equal a great record and the critics say that it is , but ,just not for me. The lyrics are too wordy so Claire has to seemingly talk through most of them rather than sing the results seem disjointed and don't flow, the words follow the music but neither the music or the singing seem to compliment one another. The solos from the band are terrific.

It is issued as a SACD disc but the CD will play on all types of CD player.Perhaps it will grow on me but I doubt it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern Art, 6 Nov 2009
Sarah-jane Holder "sarahjane09" (Brighton England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Modern Art (Audio CD)
What a fantastic album with a very apt title; modern Jazz at its very best definitely my favourite purchase this year.

ARRAY(0xa4cdb1b0)

A Modern Art
A Modern Art by Claire Martin (Audio CD - 2009)