5.0 out of 5 stars I wanted a flip, then I found the Kodak!
Firstly let me be completely honest. I was not supposed to be reviewing this product. When I started looking for a simple HD video camera, I started with the flip as I was convinced that this is what I would eventually buy. I had not even considered how crowded the market had become or the variety of alternatives available to me through websites such as Amazon...
Published on 6 Jan 2010 by Jackanory

Published on 18 Oct 2009 by Ripple

5.0 out of 5 stars I wanted a flip, then I found the Kodak!, 6 Jan 2010

I admit that prior to my search here on Amazon, I wasn't even aware of the flip's spec. When I did look however, I found myself reading reviews of poor video quality, poor audio etc etc. I was disappointed, even though I recognised that the quality produced by these video cameras would not be up to the standard of full camcorders. The Flip Ultra HD was even worse, promising 'ultra' quality, yet only to the same 720p format.

So I started looking at alternatives including the Samsung U10 and Kodak Zi8, both of which make use of SD cards which provide greater flexibility than the internal memory of the flip.

Let me take you through some of the features of the Kodak Zi8;

So I ordered the Kodak and it arrived yesterday. It is around the size of a blackberry, with a nice 2.5" screen. In my opinion at least this definitely makes filming easier. The unit itself is light, and can easily fit in your pocket, however, it is something of a fingerprint magnet.

The audio quality without an external microphone is acceptable, with one better, and video quality in low light conditions is on par for the money that you pay. To ensure the best results you should, as professionals do, concentrate on lighting your subject in effectively. The options to record in WVGA, 720p, 720p 60f/s and 1080p is very useful.

The user interface was simply and intuitive. Simply power on and press the red button to start filming. It is that easy. Furthermore, the software that comes with the Kodak is very easy to use and quick to install. The software allows so called 'one touch' uploads to YouTube, Facebook and Vimeo. These options and a further one to import media are displayed in a strip down the left hand side. Connecting the camera to the computer is a breeze. My laptop has a built in card reader so it is just as easy to slot in the SD card than use the USB arm. The fold out USB arm, found on most of the models in this market, is flexible on the Kodak rather than rigid on the flip. In my opinion I prefer this, but some reviews I have read online have suggested that the Kodak's arm may not be a durable as the flip's for this reason.

The first problem I had was with the jumpy zoom I had read about here at Amazon. This is indeed easily fixable with a firmware update from the Kodak website. It is now smooth. The camera comes with intelligent face recognition software and image stabilisation. I think the addition of both of these is a benefit to the Kodak, and in my experience work very well.

The camera does have a rounded bottom that prevents it standing on it's own, but does have a tripod mount. This mount is plastic in contrast to the flip's which is metal.

The 5MP camera will not replace a standalone digital camera that you might have but it may prove to be a useful alternative from time to time, overall the quality from the camera is good.

The camera comes with a variety of cables and leads, including an HDMI to connect your camera to the tv.

Overall, if you do want a camera that allows greater flexibility than the flip with regards to audio and memory storage then the Kodak is a very competitive alternative. The large screen is definitely helpful and built in software to stabilise images does give results. Kodak have already improved on this product by issuing firmware that improves the quality of the zoom.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the Zi6, 3 Oct 2009
I do minor video work, and am by no means have professional knowledge of all cameras. I've been using the zi8 all day to film a small project, and I have to say it has done a pretty good job. It is much better than the previous zi6 model, but isn't without a few minor issues.

Comparing them side by side right now, the zi8 records and displays colours much better, where as the zi6 isn't as sharp and has a slight blue tint to it. However neither of these cameras perform great in low lighting. The best feature about the zi8 is the fact you can plug in an external microphone, so you can record crystal clear sound, even though the built in mic is reasonable quality. Also the zi8 will play back sound in its preview mode. One thing the zi6 does better is smooth zooming, whereas the zi8 zooms in block segments. The way the USB connection flicks out on the zi6 is much more slick, than the rubbery styled flick attachment on the zi8, but both do the job fine.

Both cameras are similar size and are great for just carrying around on the go in your pocket. Although I didn't receive any cloth pouch to put my zi8 in, so I would recommend buying one of those to protect the screen & lens. I prefer the rechargeable battery in the zi8, but if it runs out on the go you can't easily replace, unlike with the zi6.

The only thing missing from both these cameras is a flash/light. The zoom feature could also be improved.

***Edit***
The firmware for this product has been update, and the zoom is now smoother. Please read comments for more info.

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy Pocket-Sized Backup Video Camera, 18 Nov 2009
Robert Groom (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A genuinely pocket-sized video recorder capable of filming in true HD resolution and featuring a fixed-focus lens which eliminates the possibility of autofocus errors as long as you stay within its focal ranges, of which there are two. These can be selected at the flick of a switch - macro mode allows focus between ~10-15cm from lens and normal mode which focuses OK from about 50cm to infinity, and will be your default mode.

The body feels good in the hand, and the screen is bright and very clear. Easy to frame your shot, and gives a good idea what the finished footage will be like. The controls are very easy to use even with your thumb, and the steady-shot helps to eliminate camera wobble - although it inevitably introduces an element of 'screen jumping' when performing a fast pan, so you might want to disable it for this. There's even a standard tripod screw in the bottom, so you can set it up on a tripod if you need to. This is a nice touch.

The supplied software, ArcSoft MediaImpression has a media conversion function which supports Kodak, Sony and Apple devices, so you can export footage direct to your iPod, PSP or Apple TV if you need to. You can also edit multiple clips together into a 'movie' which you can then export as Apple QuickTime MPEG4 .MOV format, which is supported by freely available players on both PCs and Macs. My only real gripe is that the codec they use doesn't play back smoothly in 1080 mode on my PC, even though it's a highly spec'd model which has no trouble playing conventional MPEG-4 and MPEG-2 HD footage at 1080. MediaImpression seems to do a pretty good job, but what if I want to watch my 1080 video in something other than MediaImpression? Realistically though, with a device like this having a fairly small sensor, you're going to want to limit yourself to 720 resolution. This is perfectly fine, as most people are unable to distinguish between 720 and 1080 on a typical TV anyway. The 1080 mode is probably provided more from a competitive marketing aspect than actually being usable - which is almost certainly the case for similarly priced devices too.

Playback at 720 whether 30fps or 60fps is perfectly acceptable. It's slightly more jerky than I get from my HD camcorder, but we're not comparing like with like here. My camcorder cost 4x the price of the Zi8. If you're travelling light, or just want something to pop into your pocket that's capable of filming HD video, then a device like this is ideal. Of course filming in low light is going to lead to more graininess than with a larger sensor device like a dedicated camcorder, but again that's the trade-off. Audio from the built in microphone on the other hand is very passable unless you're filming in a windy environment, and probably almost as good as I get from my camcorder. Audio is encoded at 128Kbps stereo, in 16 bits at 48KHz, for any given video format, which is perfectly acceptable. The internal mic is mono, so you'll get the same signal across both channels, but if you'd prefer, you can attach an external mic, which is a very nice feature to have in such a small device.

I have Ulead VideoStudio, which I use for all my footage editing, and was pleased to see that I was able to drag and drop footage from the Zi8 straight into the editing strip. I would presume you could do the same with Adobe Final Cut and Sony Vegas too, but check before buying if this is important to you.

If you have a camcorder already and are looking for a pocketable device which you can take along to events where you need to film more discretely, or you need HD capabilities on a lower budget, the Zi8 is definitely worthy of your consideration. A summary of the various shooting modes is shown below:

1080p

WVGA
848 x 480
5 Mbps (
Stereo (from mono source), 128Kbps, 48Khz, 16 bits

4.0 out of 5 stars First impressions...and learning how to get the best out of it, 5 April 2010
Bluedragon (Cardiff, U.K.) - See all my reviews
Had mine for a few weeks and used it for a) indoor shots b) music gigs c) outdoor watersports action. Some quick comments on what I've learned:

1. Outdoors sports action - cloudy bright day: Can't really fault it especially at 720p/60 fps

2. Indoor good lighting: Very good! trying to convince my wife to do some cookery videos for YouTube!!

3. Music gigs with poor lighting and/or bright backlights: This is where it struggles, but so did my Canon camera on the video setting. From the shots I did the other night, the WVGA clips (widescreen VGA) rather than HD were definitely brighter, and this definition works well on YouTube. I'll use this in future for low light. An external mic I used for the gigs (small plug-in Sony stereo mic) provided excellent sound clarity. I can set the level from the camera menu. This was one of the main reason I bought this camera and it fully meets expectations.

4. I've no problems screening or editing the .MOV files on the Vista/XP laptops in either HD or WVGA formats. CyberLink Power Director 8 handles them fine, or they can be uploaded directly to YouTube with no difficulty.

5. With the 1.6 firmware the zoom works seamlessly, but in low light it can't handle the image properly after about halfway (OK in good light).

I'll probably keep the Zi8 as it's compact, versatile, so easy to use, and has the 720p/60fps option for action shots. My only reservation is poor indoor lighting, but I'm not sure any of its direct competitors would do any better. In the home with room lights on it's fine. Music venues etc, are tough assigments anyway!

4.0 out of 5 stars A LITTLE BEAUTY!, 26 Oct 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I reviewed the previous model Zi6 last year, it's most annoying feature was no image stabilisation but now the Zi8 has dealt with that problem and this model will take some beating!

The Z18 camcorder has the same chunky shape as the Zi6, and it will allow you to shoot 1080p video - a first for Kodak. The feature to shoot at 1080p is of course a lot better than what it's nearest rival Flip, which shoots at a maximum of 720p only.

Whilst fundamentally it's a smarter version of the Zi6, the biggest change is the introduction of image stabilization.

Other upgrades include 5-MP still photo shooting, a larger 2.5-inch display, and an external mic jack (since camcorders like this aren't exactly known for delivering impressive sound). Like the Zi6 and Zx1, it has an SD/SDHC slot, accommodating cards as large as 32GB. It also comes with an HDMI cable.

Available in black, red, and blue. No need to look at any other, this one delivers superb picture quality and is really easy to use.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value and clever little recorder - but the jumpy zoom drove me mad, 18 Oct 2009
Ripple (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A very clever, good value unit BUT it has two drawbacks - one the light sensor is small so it's poor at low lighting shots, but the deal breaker for me is the zoom. While it's nice to have a zoom option, it is not smooth and jumps from setting to setting in a way that is just plain annoying. For me, I'd wait for a model with a smoother zoom - but in no way is this a bad unit.

In the box you get:

- software
- good easy guide book
- HDMI cable
- normal AV cable
( note the USB is integral to the unit in one of those poppy out things)

Pros:

- Price. This is a basic, pocket video recorder - at a very competitive price (even at RSP before Amazon's competitive pricing). Be warned though, that you need to set your expectations to that price - it won't match the quality of units that can be many times that price - it's a pocket video camera, not a camcorder.

- It's a nice looking unit. It will fit into a shirt pocket - though you will certainly know it's there due to its weight. Build quality is good. It's about the size of a Blackberry and about one and a half times the depth.

- Video quality at all settings (WVGA, 720p, 720p 60fps, 1080p) is excellent in good lighting. It works best when you are stationery. As with all cameras, the quality is only as good as the lens. The lens on this unit is tiny and it's stunningly good for its size. I found the 720p probably the best in the long run. 1080p is stretching this unit's capability to the max and you will get some noise on it.

- It has a macro setting which is a nice feature to have.

- The battery unit is user replaceable. It charges in two hours from the AC adapter and about 4 hours from the USB connection. You get around 60-90 minutes from a charge (depending on what you are using). That's pretty decent, but if you are travelling, you'd be well advised to buy a spare battery unit.

- The screen is good and a perfectly acceptable size. (About Blackberry size).

- Simple controls. The on/off switch doesn't trip accidentally and there are four push buttons on the back for settings, deletion, record and play. They take a bit of getting used to as they you don't always feel that they've responded to your touch, but they are OK. It's so simple to use you don't need a complex manual.

- Transferring video from the SDHC cards is very easy using the USB connector. On first use, you have the option of installing the supplied Arcsoft software will allow you, among other things, to convert the Quicktime MOV files to other formats. I found that watching playback of .mov files on Realplayer was very poor (jumpy) so use Quicktime. Arcsoft allows you to convert to web, apple or PS3 formats. I don't have a Mac so cannot comment.

- The internal microphone produced excellent to acceptable audio at distances ranging up to about 10-15 feet (3-4 metres). Plus there is an external mic socket.

- The 4X digital zoom is surprisingly good. Noise increases as you would expect, but not to the point of seriously degrading the image.

- The HDMI feature is a very nice touch allowing you to play on your HDTV very easily. If you have shot some footage in good light, do try the HDTV option - the results are much more impressive than on my screen.

- I like the SD card system - but it does mean you have to buy one (as opposed to an internal memory - you get a 128mb of internal memory which won't give you much space). A 32gb SD card will give you about five hours on 720p. You'll need to recharge the battery before getting to this though.

Major Cons:

- The digital zoom is not even remotely smooth. It leaps along like a demented kangaroo. This is a big problem.

- Low light performance is poor. This is a major drawback as the unit's attraction is that you can carry it in situations that you wouldn't take a larger unit to - like evenings out. Its sensor is tiny and that's a problem.

Other Cons:

- The lens is 46mm (35mm equivalent) which can be a bit restricting. A 28mm would have been more practical for social situations. The Zi8 focal length is 46mm for 720p and WVGA settings. At 1080p, the focal length is 61mm.

- No slip cover

- The Image stabilization works only moderately well. It's not too bad if you are static, but if you are walking, it cannot cope. Because it's such a small unit - holding it steady can be a problem. Image stabilization is one of the things that makes the expensive camcorders so expensive. Having said that, it does have a tripod mount (which is a plus point) and would help (or would if I had a tripod!). Also, image stabilization eats power and I found the unit getting a bit warm.

- The stills photos are, at best, average. It's a 5MP stills camera without a flash. But chances are you'll have a stills camera anyway.

- I know I said the ease of use was a plus, but it also means you don't have a lot of control over things, like exposure.

- It does have face tracking, but I found it created more problems than it solved - if the face was at the wrong angle, it would black out the background etc, partly because the exposure meter is slow to adjust to changes in lighting.

Update - found firmware upgrade to solve jumpy zoom - now 4* product

5.0 out of 5 stars A little gem that has it all: quality, features, usability, PRICE., 10 Dec 2009
I have been waiting for a product like this for years: I always wanted to try shooting some simple, basic HD footage with reasonable quality at the lowest possible price, for all those precious moments when you cannot have a bulky full-fledged camera with you, and a camera phone video would not be enough....

So, I made extensive researches, but all the comparable models from other brands (all more costly, by the way) had one or more major drawbacks: either they were too big, or they offered no removable memory, or no user-removable battery, or they were not really 1080p, or they had no HDMI port.... Then I found the ZI8, and apparently it had it all!

-Very compact size, comparable to some smartphones, and extremely light;

-REAL 1080p at 30 FPS (but also 720p at 60 FPS, which is _extremely_ useful for high-motion subjects, and ALSO other PC modes for youtube and even still pictures);

-Unlimited capacity (thanks to the SD cards, which now are extremely cheap);

-Unlimited energy supply (thanks to the easily replaceable battery AND the possibility to even attach an external USB power source to charge the battery and extend the recording time, even _while shooting_);

-High-quality HDMI AND standard A/V ports (cables are even included!), for easy connection to ANY TV and full playback functions to watch movies/pictures shot with the camera _everywhere_, including multiple-speed FF, REW, pause and multiple speed slow motion;

AND

-Digital zoom: not even remotely comparable to optical zoom, of course, but extremely useful anyway in many situations;

-Macro shooting, fixed at approx. 10 cm., with EXTREMELY HIGH QUALITY, in proper lighting;

-Embedded high-quality HD editing software from Arcsoft, that can be launched with a minimal installation from any compatible PC _from the camera_, thanks to the foldable, built-in USB cable (not just the typical "uselessware" provided by no-brand devices);

-Stereo 3.5 mm microphone input jack for high quality audio recordings through any microphone (great for concerts and live events, even if the included mono ambient microphone is really good and has high sensitivity);

-Digital stabiliser! (almost useless, actually, IMHO; it produces a strong banding over the images and it barely stabilises anything, anyway, but it can be deactivated, luckily);

-High-quality, large LCD screen, extremely bright and with realistic depiction of the actual results;

-Standard mount for camera tripods, perfect for small gorillapod, for instance, especially since the camera CANNOT stand on its own base.

-Optional remote control(!) - Very difficult to obtain, unfortunately.

But all of this would be useless, if the picture quality was bad; luckily, as I found soon (and as you can see for yourself downloading sample MOVs from the Web), the quality at 1080p in good lighting is _astounding_! Nowhere near what you can get from professional or high-price HD cameras, of course, but IMHO _unbeatable_ at this price range.

Cons: there is some grain at 1080p, especially visible on large TVs (same as in many Blu-Ray movies), and CMOS little vertical streaks become visible at 720p, especially in low light, but the latter were almost completely "fixed" with the most recent firmware upgrade 1.06. Oh, and by the way, the firmware is user-upgradeable (AND downgradeable, at your own risk, and contrary to what everybody else says, including Kodak... I am not going into details, you just need to use your head and a little creativity with file names: I successfully downgraded from 1.06 to 1.05, since I did not like the new compression used to hide the streaks in 1.06); Kodak, by the way, is really following the user requests to fix initial problems, as a high-pitched noise in the first releases or the streaks at 720p.

Light sensitivity is also good: _with strong lighting_ you can get very nice shots also at night or indoors, but the grain/artefacts increase _a lot_ in low light. Results in illuminated streets at night are absolutely great, for instance.

Moreover, you can easily "mod" this camera adding optics of various kinds (there are tutorials about this on the web); for instance, simple binoculars/spotters can easily become powerful super-tele lenses, by just putting them in front of the fixed-focus lens; I created a sort of supermacro, by just holding an illuminated magnifier in front of the camera...

Funny thing is that Kodak, actually, already had a great intuition about the future of digital imaging a long time ago: in 2001, when digital photography was still in its infancy, professional digital cameras costed a little fortune, and digital video cameras were almost a dream, Kodak introduced the MC3, an incredibly small gadget that was able to take digital pictures, digital movies, was even a great MP3 player, used a CF slot and removable AAA batteries! In that case, quality was too low to make it a success, but it seems that Kodak learned from its mistakes and this time got it really right! Way to go, Kodak!

4.0 out of 5 stars ZiFi, 12 Oct 2009
D Deacon "pixist" (Liverpool, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Well made little camcorder with some nice features: 1080p, 720p @ 60fps, digital stabiliser, mic socket. Controls are few but simple with the joystick being the way to operate menus. It lacks an optical zoom - digital only and not a smooth zoom. This is not a low-light specialist but it does a passable job. In good light the quality is very good. I prefer the 720p modes especially at 60fps.

It has a host of connections around its edge - HDMI (cable supplied) and AV, microphone, USB, SDHC cards, power/charger, macro/landscape, tripod socket and lanyard. The on/off button is a bit hit and miss: sometimes you have to press it a few times to get it to work. That needs sorting out. The lens has no cover and no pouch is supplied to protect it and the LCD. BTW, you can buy a Samsonite Makemo 80 leather case which fits the Zi8 with a little room to spare - lovely case and at a great price currently.

Video quality is very good in good light. Nice contrast, colour and detail. Hand shake can be an issue - just try to minimise it by resting your hand on something or using two hands or use a tripod. It focuses and changes white balance quickly. The lens is fixed length and f2.8 only. Not particularly fast but okay. You'll find everything is in focus in landscape shots so no blurry wait to focus. In low light colour seems good as does white balance but video can be rather grainy - normal for these cheaper camcorders. Sound is quite good but can be improved with a cheap/expensive mic. Lots on Amazon.

It is a 5MP stills camera too. Not much by today's standards but can get a decent shot. You use your feet to zoom.

It's worth having a few spare batteries. If you're out and about you can soon use up a battery and still have lots of space on your SDHC card. Spare batteries can be had cheaply as can a charger. As it is the Zi8 charges the battery which can be inconvenient. Talking of SDHC cards, 16GB cards are very cheap. Best get a large fast class 6 SDHC card for that 1080p shooting. Oh, and a capacious hard drive!

This is a simple pocket camcorder at a reasonable price (falling too). It is not meant to compete with a full AVCHD camcorder with bells and whistles. It does currently seem to be the best of the crop - overall. Doesn't cost too much either. Lost memories are the expensive part...

UPDATE
Upgrade to firmware 1.05 from the Kodak site to stop the jerky digital zoom - now nice and smooth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Way to go Kodak!!!!!, 6 Nov 2009
Mr. G. Bridgeman-clarke "Graham BC" (Rayleigh, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The last camera I bought from Kodak was an instamatic way back in the early 1970s and that was my first "real" camera if you can call a plastic fixed lens camera with a disposable cube flash a real camera. Anyway I have never ever been tempted to buy a Kodak camera since. That was until this little gem arrived.

This is a High Definition (HD) video camera which does 1080p video - better than my Nikon D90 which only does 720p. The batteries are rechargeable and come out of the camera so no problem with buying spares but on a downside first time I used the video it lasted barely 1 hours of continued recording of a local youth football match. Looking on-line batteries are cheap enough and I have learned always to carry at least one spare. On the upside it fits easily in my pocket.

The unit is beautiful. Shiny black gloss finish and what I love most is that to download you can use the flash usb connector straight into your computer or link it to your TV. Brilliant for the price! Now what I love most is that it's MAC friendly!!! Load up, plug in to your MacBook and in no time you have a Quicktime movie.

I shot video behind the goal on a tripod and it worked well. At least this model does have a tripod screw bush. Saying that the camera needs a tripod as due to design it will not stand up itself. No doubt designed for the on the move, no tripod, sort of user. Thats cool and its priced to suit but it would have been great to have a level bottom to allow the camera to stand alone.

The great thing about this video camera is that can shoot at 1080p which I assume is 24 frames a second or switch to 780p at 60 frames a second. No sure when I would need the 780p when the better quality 1080p is available but its there.

There isn't much I didn't like about the camera but I would say that it has mono sound and stereo would be better. It does, however have a jack plug for an external microphone, but strangely no jack for headphones so its not easy to check if the sound is good on the recording until you watch it on your computer. My zoom was also a bit jerky but maybe that is just me needing to get used to it more.

On the storage front the camera can hold up to 32 gb sd cards. Thats a lot of recording time but you will need those additional batteries to get the best of that facility.
I really can't believe that this camera is either from Kodak and it is mega value. No more video cameras with tapes or disks, this is the way to go.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kodak Zi8 versus Flip Ultra HD 8GB, 30 Nov 2009
Hello
I am currently testing the Zi8 versus the Flip Ultra HD. To make it short: they are very close. Both have amazing quality considering the low price and the small size - of cause its not a "real" professional HD Camcorder. Let me give you the reasons why finally I am about to decide for the Kodak:

- Images overall are much sharper (sometimes tending to be "oversharped")
- more options for Image Quality and bigger sensor (1/2.5")
- the thinner cam fits into every pocket - so I can really allways have it with me
- great large display
- Makro option
- the 1.6 Update solved some Problems - let's now wait for 1.7 or even 2.0....

What could be PRO Flip Ultra HD?

- better low-light performance - specially in very low light
- very simple to use Software for the Mac and PC
- the cam itself is more stylish and valuable. Not a fingerprint magnet like the Kodak

So it's also a question of taste.

Kodak Zi8 HD Pocket Video Camera - Raspberry