5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent and absorbing film
Published on 14 Dec 2009 by SilentSinger

3.0 out of 5 stars Quirky
Disappointing, so much hype around the release but I didn't enjoy it at all. A story about the lives of one woman before she was married, and the choices she made. I finished the film but didn't feel good at all. It was very disjointed and slow.
Published on 6 Nov 2010 by bluebellgirl

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent and absorbing film, 14 Dec 2009
SilentSinger (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Private Lives Of Pippa Lee [DVD] (DVD)
Written and directed by Rebecca Miller this film is well acted, poignant and extremely watchable. It concerns the life and times of the titular Pippa Lee (Robin Wright Penn), a woman of fifty who's recently moved to a retirement complex with her older retired husband Herb (Alan Arkin). Pippa's a reserved and enigmatic character but as her back story unravels via flashbacks it's easy to see why Pippa's chosen the path she has. The all-star cast which includes Keanu Reeves as a neighbour's drifter son, Winona Ryder as a needy friend and Julianne Moore as a figure from Pippa's past all add amazing support and special mention must be made of Blake Lively who portrays Pippa as a young woman.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovelovelovelovelove it!, 19 Jan 2011
This review is from: The Private Lives Of Pippa Lee [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this DVD after browsing Amazon, looking for something easy to watch. What attracted me was the cast - I'm a huge fan of most of the lead actors already and I was far from disappointed. Robin Wright is her usual watchable, understated self, ageing so gracefully it makes me want to scream...! Alan Arkin is as brilliant and curmudgeonly as ever; and Keanu Reeves is the real stand-out in the cast for me - natural, engaging and utterly believable. Why more directors can't let him just ACT, I don't understand; Ms Miller obviously knows how to coax the very best out of her performers. I was also interested to see Blake Lively in a role outside of Gossip Girl and, I have to say, I was reasonably impressed; she may just make a decent actress some day.
All in all, I adored this film; the final scenes left me with tears in my eyes - but tears of joy. Loved it. Buy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Unsettling, 2 Jun 2013
prisrob "pris," (New England USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Private Lives Of Pippa Lee [DVD] (DVD)
How many of us look back at our lives and reflect on our wild times and what it took to settle down? Most often, we might think it is luck that has brought us this far. And, when we found our life, were we happy, was this the life we really wanted or did we settle for this safer life of ours?

Pippa Lee, played by Robin Wright is fifty. Her husband, Alan Arkin, is thirty years older. They have moved from New York City to a retirement community in Connecticut. This is presumably to make life easier for both of them. However, Pippa is not happy, she does not have much to do now and we wonder, who made this decision to move? She had met her husband years ago when she was at the end of her wild drug, hippie stage and he had saved her. They had two children and were happy. Or were they? Pippa starts to sleep walk, she is filled with tension and stress her therapist tells her- she needs a hobby. She takes up pottery and is kicked out of class for calling the instructor names. She is unsettled and her past life catches up with her. Her mother who was obsessed with her as well as obsessed with the Dexedrine she was taking, her life with her aunt after she ran away from home, and the life she has now. She uncovers an interesting relationship of her husbands and finds one for herself. Pippa is on her way to finding her life.

This film written and directed by Rebecca Miller is filled with remarkable characters and actors "Zoe Kazan as Pippa's daughter, Grace, a headstrong photojournalist; Robin Wright as Pippa's kindhearted lesbian aunt Trish; and Julianne Moore as Trish's ferocious lover Kat, who enlists Pippa to pose with another woman for sadomasochist photos. Winona Ryder as Pippa's histrionic best friend, Sandra, and Shirley Knight as her blowzy next-door neighbor Dot, are also memorable. Keanu Reeves, his chest tattooed with a portrait of Jesus, plays Dot's glum, compulsively honest son." Stephen Holden

This is a film of a marriage that has come and gone, the ups and downs and the fun and the anger. Most of us have been there and unsettling is the most dramatic. What will happen, how will it end, you never know.

Recommended. prisrob 06-02-13

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cast True to Novel, 6 Mar 2013
Max Zen (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Private Lives Of Pippa Lee [DVD] (DVD)
I read the book some time ago and only had the chance recently to see this film. I think the film adaption is very true to the novel. The cast is superb as was the film script. If you are into action-packed fast-moving films with lots of dialogue and quick edits, then this movie probably isn't for you. I thought the movie was excellent, intense and the novel's theme was captured poignantly and profoundly especially by Robin Wright Penn and Keanu Reeves.

4.0 out of 5 stars The private lives of Pippa lee, 11 Dec 2009
Bee (Ferrara, Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Private Lives Of Pippa Lee [DVD] (DVD)
Adapted from Rebecca Miller's novel is the story of Pippa Lee. Now she is about fifty, she recalls the old times and in the meantime she thinks to the future cause of what' s happening in her family.
I enjoyed this film very much. Time run easly. Robin wright Penn is delightful and a very good actress. All star cast is perfect in theirs characters.
I suggest this film. It's easy follow it with english subtitles: I'm italian. I'm learning english wathing film in the original. I'm a Keanu Reeves fan too: I collected all his films.In this film he's lovely. Essential, I date say.
sorry for my bad english. thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 28 Jun 2014
Dr. D. Brand (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Private Lives Of Pippa Lee [DVD] (DVD)
Excellent (and highly perceptive) look at a woman's life from a woman's point of view.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quirky, 6 Nov 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected treat, 18 May 2012
This review is from: The Private Lives Of Pippa Lee [DVD] (DVD)
Amazing film about a women's life, the choices she has made and where they have brought her. Surprising and nuanced performances from actors you might not necessarily expect them from ie Blake Lively and Keanu Reeves. Real trip of a film, funny, unexpected, moving, inspirational. Robin Wright Penn totally convincing throughout, I felt I was inside her head throughout her journey. Totally original and a very refreshing movie to watch.

1.0 out of 5 stars This has 6 stars or reviews? Are people deaf and blind?, 5 Mar 2013
Mr. K. Tailor "kunaal_tailor" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Private Lives Of Pippa Lee [DVD] (DVD)
Absolutely boring and unprovoking. I am confident the director never made another movie after this one. It is so rubbish. There are so many good foreign films around, when these mass producing Americans try to make a art neveux style movie. Very famous actors in the movie, but they do not do the movie justice and the movie does them no justice. Bland story line, no energy, and unentertaining. Save your money and your time. DO NOT BOTHER!

1.0 out of 5 stars I wish she'd kept them to herself then!, 27 Aug 2010
This review is from: The Private Lives Of Pippa Lee [DVD] (DVD)
Read the reviews, read the synopsis, bought the DVD, gave it an overly long 30 minutes viewing wondering when I would understand the reason why I gave it 30 minutes. I could have watched a repeat of Friends on TV and got more enjoyment. Sorry not for me, the wife shook her head and commented that when I choose a lemon I choose a lemon.

The Private Lives Of Pippa Lee [DVD]
The Private Lives Of Pippa Lee [DVD] by Rebecca Miller (DVD - 2009)
3.17