on 12 November 2010
Unfortunately my review is only a rehash of previous reviews, this time based on my own experience rather than other heartbroken individuals.

The drive looks very smart when you first see it although the outer case smudges with finger print marks very quickly.

It is relatively quiet, though not as quiet as other drives I have used - the Samsung Story, for example.

It works very well at first - my drive lasted between 4-5 months. However, after that it went kaput. I suspect the reason why had something to do with the fact that the drive gets very hot, regardless of the surface you place it on. The drive made loud clicking noises and ceased to be recognised when you plug it in. In other words, it died.

Despite the drive still being under guarantee, the customer service I received from LaCie can only be described as truly awful. It takes them an age for them to get back to you and only after a number of e-mails did I managed to get them to let me send them their faulty drive - at my own expense. I assumed this would mean that they would repair it. However, they claimed it had been damaged in the post. I provided photos of the drive before posting but they claimed this was not sufficient proof. What is sufficient proof in LaCie's eyes has me baffled.

One final point: Before I sent the drive they said they would repair the drive but if I wanted to recover the data it would cost upwards of £300. Need I say more to put you off LaCie?
on 25 December 2010
I bought two of these. A year later and the red light has come on meaning drive failiure according to the manual. The other one is fine but that's because I didn't use it (only as a backup for drive one). I have much older Iomega drives and seagate drives that just carry on so that's why I felt I had to put a review for other people to read.

I'm looking to buy a couple of 4tb drives now but will not consider Lacie.
A few months ago, I needed a drive larger than the 1.5TB units I then used as there was less than 5% of its capacity remaining free on one. There were few options but the LaCie was one. I noted that negative reviews outnumbered the positive and I was slightly concerned. I decided to order one on a 'suck it and see' basis. I found none of the issues claimed by others.

The drives are contained in a glossy piano-black plastic case, of the type notorious for collecting and showing fingerprints if excessively handled. I basically only handle them to operate the power switch when needed so fingerprints are not too much of an issue. If I have any criticism at all, it is about the power switch which is a touch switch more or less flush with the back of the drive and not therefore easily located by touch alone. However, operation once found, is quick.

I now have two of these, purchased a few weeks apart and , although apparently identical, they use contain different drive units. Both drives are in daily use, frequently writing to one or other, for a minimum of 15 hours and, if performing certain tasks, one or both may be left running for up to 40 hours continuously. I have yet to find either drive being more than comfortably warm no matter how long they run, despite having some initial reservations about the black plastic enclosures' ability to radiate heat effectively. In fact they are not significantly warmer than another drive contained in an aluminium case and with some ventilation.

In the many years during which I have used mostly internal hard drives, externals more recently, I have seen few failures but the most notable were two from Pa****d B**l but they have thankfully ceased marketing the product type. There are very few brands of external hard drive that I would now NOT consider, and LaCie is not one!
on 21 August 2010
writeup seemed good, liked the styling and functionality.
Worked well for a few months then died.
Nothing will resurrect it and data lost - just as well this was holding copies.
disc ran hot so i suspect its cooked itself.

really should have better build quality/longevity - cannot recommend at all
on 3 March 2012
I bought this drive to replace my oldest drive - an ancient LaCie who's power supply has finally given up. The old La Cie has seen off the competitors lasting about 8 years compared to many of my Western Digitals that have been replaced within the year.

I already have a 1Tb version of this new drive and have found it VERY quiet and reliable after a year.

I have also had numerous problems with the WD and Maxtor discs actually being recognised by my mac via firewire. Very frustrating. They also don't have REAL power off switches. The La Cie does, another reason for purchasing it.

The new LaCie drive seems very quiet and quick.

The bundled software is mac and PC compatible and allows you to easily format the drive, even to create separate mac and windows partitions by just moving a slider. Very good. Also provided is good backup software again Mac and PC.

There are lots of negative reviews - and this is true of all hard drives. I have come to think that if it still works after a few weeks you will be OK for years - there just seems to be a general lack of quality control from all of the manufacturers. Back up all of your data and that won't matter.

Oh and I have dealt with La Cie in the UK and found them extremely helpful with a previous (very old) drive even sending me power supplies for free after just a conversation on the phone. Much better than the web only service provided by Western Digital and Maxtor
on 10 November 2010
This is a good budget external storage drive. The plastic cover is a bit cheap and smudges easily, but it looks nice enough. Not necessarily something I'd advertise with (incidentally, 'designed by Neil Poulton', the guy has the worst personal website possible for a designer: boring and very hard to read).

It's fast enough, but I'm substracting one star for the abysmal quality of the accompanying software (Genie Backup Assistant in particular). It's a nice bonus that they give you a backup software tool, but I just wasted 21 hours after the program crashed (under Windows 7) and I tried resuming it: it deleted the backup directory and started anew instead of resuming. And: you can't determine into which directory it backups.
I simply want a mirror of my other disc, not f:\long useless jobname\mf\h\*.*

Otherwise, so far so good with the hardware. It's silent, and vibrates only a little bit when seeking.
on 30 March 2010
I have given 1 star to try and redress the balance. The product appears to be ok with great capacity, but I have had problems with the USB Boost from the outset and it hasn't been working. The service from LaCie as been pitiful. They will only respond each time I chase and it has now been 3 weeks. The problem was 'escalated' one week ago and I mistakenly thought this implied some degree of urgency. For me, a 5 rating is a complete package including excellent customer care. Lacie really need to get their act together. Think carefully about this product with USB 3 just around the corner.
on 29 August 2011
I have a 1TB version of this drive which I have used for over a year now without any problems, so when I needed two larger capacity drives I had no hesitation in choosing these. One of the things which I really like about the design of these drives is the fact that they have their own on/off switch, something which very few other drives have. Overall these drives are pretty quick, run very quietly and without excessive heat. A great buy, which I woud have no doubts about recommending.
on 9 May 2010
I have no idea who Neil Poulton is but he should be more careful about putting his name on a poor quality product like this. Mine seemed to work OK at first. I was able to fill the drive with 900GB of stuff. However, as soon as I tried to read back any data to check it was OK, the drive would disconnect itself from the computer! Tried it with Mac and a two PCs, made no difference. The fault was also intermittent so it took a while to work out exactly what was going on.
The small print also says you cannot stack these more than two high, so judging by how hot the drive ran when freestanding I think that two high is optimistic.
on 11 July 2010
LaCie Hard Disk 2TB, Design by Neil Poulton

Nice Drive, but it has a cheap platic cover which does not look good. Otherwise it's not noisy and it's not getting hot.