5.0 out of 5 stars These are hard times to fall in love.
Published on 4 Feb 2012 by Rooksby

3.0 out of 5 stars A rare little oddity
Published on 8 Jan 2011 by E. R. Hartley

5.0 out of 5 stars These are hard times to fall in love., 4 Feb 2012
Rooksby (United KIngdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Me Oh My (Audio CD)
Another reviewer on here compared Cate's music to an Oliver Postgate soundtrack &, on reflection, he/she definitely has a point. Like Postgate's finest work, Me Oh My invokes a melancholic longing for ever more distant, fondly remembered youth &, perhaps, a regret-tinged mourning for lovers past, while never "twee" or saccharine. Musically - & I hope Cate won't mind the comparisons - Me Oh My's haunting psychedelic miscellany touches upon the much missed Broadcast (particularly vocalist Trish Keenan), the third Velvet Underground album, Wowee Zowee-era Malkmus, & early Leonard Cohen. The production is warm, intimate & low-key, virtually every song is a potential single &, at a succinct 35 minutes, it's an album you'll happily play again & again (like I do). A lovely record, simple as that.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Importance Of Being Earnest (7/10), 29 Oct 2009
Gannon (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Me Oh My (Audio CD)
2009 has very much been the year of the solo female artiste. Be them folkish, quirky or just plain pop, we've been up to our elbows in `em. Cate, no relation to Simon, Le Bon thus has a tough task ahead of her in these saturated times.

So, what's her selling point? Wisely, she has acquiesced to Gruff Rhys's advances, becoming the first signing to his Irony Bored label. As such, she has the full Super Furry support, already gaining just that on a recent tour. And eagle-eared musos will be quick to point out that the pair have previous, her lungs being put to good use on the curious Neon Neon track `I Lust U'.

Being Welsh, naturally Miss Bon has a cadent vocal, pitched neither squeakily nor quite as far into Nico-country as some may have you believe. Her solo work is mostly acoustic, folk-influenced and, all importantly, comes spliced with occasional SFA-brand madness. The Coral-like skiffle on album highlight `Burn Until The End' makes the subject matter clear, and the unplugged, Radiator quality that `Shoeing The Bones' exudes is there for all to hear.

It is safe to say those looking for a sing-along chorus can look away now, as Me Oh My doesn't got none. And still less, those wishing for shiny production values need not apply. Be told, Cate Le Bon is nothing like Bat For Lashes and her fantasy pop. Miss Bon instead possesses a gentle eccentricity, less developed than, say, Devendra Banhart's hirsute freak-folk, but their similarity in album titles still ought to be noted and suggests a mild affinity. In full, for reference, here we go: "Oh Me Oh My...The Way the Day Goes By the Sun Is Setting Dogs Are Dreaming Lovesongs of the Christmas Spirit".

For the same reasons that Sharon Van Etten's album Because I Was in Love was a success, so might Me Oh My be. Both have caught the female folk revival at its peak and both peddle individual, earnest takes on it. Yet, for the same reasons Etten isn't a household name, so probably won't Cate Le Bon be. The aimless `Terror Of The Man' is a case in point, needing a stronger injection of individuality and message. It turns out that the importance of being earnest, is not as important as the importance of having something to say.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Welsh Nico, 13 Mar 2011
This review is from: Me Oh My (Audio CD)
As noted elsewhere, this is heading off into the psychedelic folky arena, but as sung by a younger, Welsh version of Nico.

Beautiful songs, genuine emotion and a distinctly non-mainstream take on the world.

Cracking stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars An unexpected, but pleasant surprise, 18 Mar 2010
C. M. Longshaw (Bucks, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Me Oh My (Audio CD)
Although I hadn't been previously aware of Cate Le Bon, I bought this album solely on the strength of one song, 'Shoeing the Bones' which I heard on BBC Radio 2's Bob Harris. While difficult to describe the genre into which Cate fits (to me she sounds in parts reminiscent of a female, welsh, Nick Drake). However what a fantastic find..! The CD hasn't been out of my car stereo for 2 weeks and although not all tracks are instantly likeable, with each play I find new things and as time has gone different tracks have become my favourite.
Would highly recommend, but be prepared to stick with it, give it some time and you will be rewarded.

5.0 out of 5 stars My album of the summer!, 17 May 2010
R. M. Dean (Dorset UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Me Oh My (Audio CD)
After experiencing Cate le Bon live at the Greenman festival, I was really pleased to hear that her album is just as quirky and catchy as her live performance. I love my Welsh bands and this is my new favourite. Definitely a must for Super Furries and Gorkys fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 7 May 2012
This review is from: Me Oh My (Audio CD)
a fantastically refreshing listen. definitely buy this CD! I will def be buying the next one when it comes out.

3.0 out of 5 stars A rare little oddity, 8 Jan 2011
E. R. Hartley "Axel North" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Me Oh My (Audio CD)
Well it's an odd one. Really well produced with all instruments coming up high on the mix. But, it's like listening to an aural equivalent of an Oliver Postgate stop motion children's TV programme. Pogle's Wood meets Noggin the Nog in deepest Wales. There's an underlying oddness to the music and its delivery which initially draws you in but then after a few listens becomes slightly unnerving. On an iPod shuffle, the single tracks are really diverting and a joy to listen to but when put together as a whole album, the effect can become not a little overwhelming moving you into Cate's alternate universe. It's definitely worth a listen. Not sure whether you could say it's indispensible though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful psychedelic Folk, 31 Jan 2010
W. J. Wellham "muuuuuzic" (Colchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Me Oh My (MP3 Download)
I bought this album after hearing a few tracks on Marc Riley BBC 6music. If you like a wonderful female voice.. If you like a folky feel.. if you like lo-fi simplicity... if you like pshycedelic touches of guitar and piano... and you enjoy a little Welsh music.... then here it all is.

She is never going to be in the top forty chat

but she has found a place in my heart

Me Oh My
Me Oh My by Cate Le Bon (Audio CD - 2009)