5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic fun
Just to point out a few reasons why the PC version is better than both 360 and PS3 versions; it is cheaper, has better graphics, better resolution, better frame-rate, shorter load times, more zombies on screen at once, among a few other reasons..

I never bought the original but I did play it. This I feel is a nice sequel though, adding enough new features so...
Published on 2 Oct 2010 by M. Boyes

3.0 out of 5 stars Let's Play Sucker-Punch
I convinced myself this was a great game due to the let's plays that are poliferating Youtube. It looked so much fun when somebody else played this game. When I got into the game it soon transpired it really wasn't all that fun, and the only thing holding it all together was my love of zombies. Ploughing through hoardes of grasping and starving zombies was fun for a...
Published on 26 July 2011 by Mr. Robert Barlow

4.0 out of 5 stars You'll really enjoy this...once you finish making it., 21 Nov 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dead Rising 2 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
This is a great game. BUT there are some potentially game-breaking issues...

1: There is NO way to re-map the keyboard controls in game.

This means, unless you know what you're doing a bit, you have to play it right handed - WASD etc.

There IS a solution to this based on editting a game file (called something like keymap.txt - google it.)

2: This game uses Games for Windows Live - which is only a problem if you DON'T install the game in it's default directory (I, for example put all games in D:/Games/). This means that GFWL cannot update. Which means that your game progress is not saved.

SOLUTION: You have to CREATE AN ENTRY IN THE REGISTRY - there is a guide online - google it.

Once you sort out these issues - the game runs more or less perfectly - I still have the odd issue with the keys - 'dodge' doesn't seem to work for example. Prob haven't set up the keymap.txt properly or something - who knows - point is - the developers should have given you an in-game way of remapping like every other game on the planet. Epic fail.

The way the game plays out is quite good - though I personally would rather run around hacking up zombies in inventive ways - the way you end up having to play is constantly racing against the clock to get to the next stage - it's ok tho.

Tip: when you rescue people, make sure you have a good weapon to give them (broad sword is probably the best) NPC weapons don't degrade so whatever you give them will last forever. You cannot give them made weapons tho, sadly.

I haven't, but I imagine that this is brilliant to play with a friend - a combination of melee and ranged attacks is probably the ideal.

You'll really enjoy this...once you finish the job of making the game work for the devs...

3.0 out of 5 stars Superficial fun, 16 Dec 2010
mosta67 "mosta67" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dead Rising 2 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I was pleased when this was announced for the PC, I just can't get used to the comparitively dated Xbox 360 gfx when I realise PC visual technology is two or more generations beyond the latest gen consoles (for example, compare PC and XBox version of Assassin's Creed 2).

This one is a superficial sandbox game, with humour and violence in equal measures, with a lightness of tone absent from survival horror games such as Silent Hill or the Resident Evil series. It's similar to the original, this time you have emotional baggage in the story, with your character's daughter requiring anti-zombie meds every day (I guess Capcom are targetting the adult father demographic here who grew up with Romero films), whilst you go out cracking zombie skulls til the 3 day time limit expires.

Best described as a third person action game, this expands on the original by allowing almost everything to be used as a weapon, and ultimately customisable for extra points in the variety of methods of zombie disposal. The designers clearly had fun with this game. Running around the map there are the usual survivors to escort to safety, human adversaries and assorted missions to perform, which are fun to begin with, but with the lack of emotional intensity, doesn't compel you to explore the boundaries of the game in a hurry. The items in the game are also fixed in location, there's no obvious randomisation of the objects scattered throughout the maps, and they reappear the next time you visit between sub missions (might be useful for remembering where snack machines are). In short, it's fine for pick up and play quick sessions, but won't provide satisfaction for extended play.

For this alone, it suits me for short snack time entertainment. It runs fine at full 1080P resolution, character models are ok and I didn't get problems with Windows Live. One cutscene did appear to freeze, but pressing escape fixed it.

One caveat is a setup check for Windows XP. This tells you that it needs service pack 3 to install. This isn't strictly true, as it seems to be fine on Windows XP SP2 if you alter the appropriate part of the registry; it's useful in general if you don't trust Microsoft service packs on older machines which don't have official hardware support (I've trashed two laptops with XP service pack upgrades in the past). This title appears fine on what is now a low-mid range Shuttle XPC with an ATI 4870 card, running XP SP2.

In summary, don't buy it expecting a fulfilling hardcore gaming experience. If you want a zombie themed sandbox game, with lightweight elements that you can play for short bursts, then look no further.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, 6 Dec 2010
This review is from: Dead Rising 2 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Initially i gave this game 1star after i had quite a few problems with it. I'm changing my review due to the fact that it was something extremely small stopping my game from working properly. After following A.Taylors' advice: Try changing your sound outage down to 16Bit 44100Hz, I had the same problem and after changing my sound settings it worked straight away.

After solving this problem my brother has enjoyed the game very much and is no longer having any problems. So i'm improving the review as i don't think its fair to leave it at 1 star now that the game is working and is being enjoyed. Thanks to other users for pointing out advice on how i should solve this problem and also informing me about how the reviews should be done. I'm going to give this game 5stars as it is being enjoyed and played now it is working.

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear...., 3 Jan 2011
This review is from: Dead Rising 2 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
The game looks very pretty, but it's a straight console port. You can't customize the keys, so if you aren't happy with the layout you're stuffed. Which is really sloppy programming in this day and age.

I'm also not keen on the fact you have to log on before you can save the game, it makes you feel it's not really yours.

But this aside it looks good, just a shame that these niggles spoil what could be a good game.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun game, 9 Oct 2010
This review is from: Dead Rising 2 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
This is a really fun game and theres a lot of stuff you can find if you go exploring around the city etc. I have no idea why that person said it has no xbox controller support because my controller works just fine with it, theres a few small bugs but nothing major.

Only bad thing about the game is that if you die you have to load it back from the toilet in which you last saved, which can be over 20 minutes in some cases, but i guess it makes you think twice about running twice into a massive group of zombies.

Graphics are great, weapons are fun, and theres literally hundreds of zombies on your screen at once. Its a good game.

1.0 out of 5 stars Many basic problems, 4 Jan 2011
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dead Rising 2 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
If you want to change the key-bindings for this game, be prepared to hack text configuration files. There's no in-game way of doing it.

If you have a Windows Live password with special characters in it, this game may not authenticate.

Be prepared to have to re-log into the game every single time you want to play it.

You may have to manually download and install the Microsoft Live Games software to get this to run.

In short, this is a very lazy console port with a multitude of problems. If you expect a game that you can install and play right off the bat, you may be disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Consolified Dreck, 20 Jan 2011
This review is from: Dead Rising 2 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
While the prospect of mowing down zombies by the dozen may sound appealing, you probably won't really get around to doing much of this here. I've put in about 4 hours and decided to bin this; I'm fundamentally just not enjoying it at all.

As some other reviewers have noticed, this rather blatantly shows its console roots. There are very few options you can change, including the control scheme (although it is a fairly standard WASD+Mouse+TAB- type setup), visuals or sound. When the visuals are maxed-out, it does look fairly nice, however, barring the occasional obviously low-res texture. There's also no shortage of zombies, showing a fairly sophisticated game engine capable of animating loads of characters on-screen simultaneously, but this is the crux of the problem. Combat in DR2 is clunky, slow, and basically detracts from actually getting anything done. Chuck runs around at a jogging pace juuuuuuuuuuuuust slow enough to irritate the hell out of you, and getting anywhere takes ages. If you decide to bash in a few zombie skulls, whatever weapon you're carrying will degrade to uselessness inside 2-3 minutes of use, so you're constantly looking around for replacements. I realise this is a gameplay feature, and that, yes, you can pick up a ton of stuff to start battering away, but it gets very tired, very quickly. It's also massively fiddly and clunky; you can never aim your blows very precisely, and while some weapons let you sweep around in an arc, most don't, and just slow you down enough to get mobbed. And the tactic of "degrading weapons" is a personal gameplay bugbear of mine - unless you're choosing to fight someone with a Ming Dynasty vase, it's just never going to be realistic; even the Fallout series suffers from this. In contrast, if I'm thumping a zombie with a lead pipe, I don't really expect a lead pipe to be rendered useless after 2 minutes. The locations are also un-inspired and dull; it's kind of odd that there's fundamentally nothing interesting to see in a huge shopping mall.

The plot is also standard Capcom-Resident-Evil-slightly-weird-anime-misogynistic, too. While all the characters are unsubtle pure stereotypes, all of the female characters in particular are either vampish bitches or helpless doe-eyed sex objects.

With some relatively minor tweaks, it could all be so much more fun, but sadly, it ain't. Avoid, even at a tenner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just get it !, 1 Nov 2010
This review is from: Dead Rising 2 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I purchased this game with a mate of mine on a bit of a hope we general play alot of online games and have light hearted fun messing around but also like a good challenge when we both bought this game we were blown away just by how much fun and in innervation is in it . We found ourselves playing hours of it a day and not relishing the sun had set. It is a brilliant fun game that will have u laughing your head of and satisfy your curiosity in terms of combine items or exploring a big areas laydend with rewards and secrets. I give the game a 9/10 the only problem is theres a few slight bugs in co op mode but other than that a really fun enjoyable experience that i defiantly recommend to anyone who has a good sense of humor likes tense hard moments and loves bloodshed and gore (motorbike and chainsaws ftw !!!!). If your pondering about it just get it it wont let u down. Capcom announced 4 million sales so somethings good right !.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bored with it..., 8 Oct 2010
M. S. TUNSTALL (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Rising 2 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Let me get this straight - there's no-one who is a bigger fan of the zombie horror genre than me. I've bought loads of zombie books, watched plenty of zombie movies (even the utterly dire B or C movies made by fans) and all sorts more. Romero's Dawn and Day Of The Dead are my 2 most favourite movies of all time.

So, I was looking forward to playing this. Fight through a leisure complex and mall, great, it'll be just like Dawn of the dead. The game starts up fast, hmm, you can't define your keys to move around - fair enough, must be a direct console port, I can handle that - at least Capcom are developing for the PC.... beggars can't be choosers etc. I start the game.

Graphics are neat, I'm running at 1600 x 1200, and it seems like there's plenty to do. So, I go have me some fun, dressing Chuck up in all sorts of daft clothes, play slot machines in the casino, creatively whack zombies - which have red eyes, OK.... - with tennis rackets, basketballs, dust carts, lawnmowers and wheelchairs, and I rescue a survivor. Enjoyable stuff at first, and really funny in places.

But then I rescue another survivor and then have to return to base to give Katie some Zombrex. I'm starting to get bored - I've got the "been there, done it" feeling and the slow jogging pace and the fact I'm up against a strict time limit is ruining any other shenanigans I fancy getting up to. You can't take any wheeled weapons, like motorbikes or carts, to new sections of the map (where a load is required) so if you want to get from A to B quickly you're out of luck. And, the game doesn't autosave your progress so if you do get killed or run out of time, you're back to the last toilet you saved in.

Still I persist, if only to see what happens when PP goes to max.

Ah, now my PP has leveled up I get a combo card which lets me kill zombies more creatively, so I build a baseball bat with spikes. Yup, hitting zombies with it is fun but it gets dull quickly. I want another new weapon but I have to wait til PP levels up again, and that takes ages. Is this the combo weapon system thats supposed to knock my socks off? It's a bit of a let down tbh. If you could combine *any* weapon to make *anything* now that would be incredible, but no.

I rescue a drunk dancer and I have to carry her to the safe house. But the game has other plans for me. I am steered towards a mission, and I get killed, because I have no gun and the bad guys do. I forgot to save at the toilet. Back to the start of that level, and then I repeat everything I did 20 minutes ago. OK, bad guys killed and time to hop onto a motorbike.

Wait a minute! The drunken dancer I rescued isn't going to join me on my motorbike - but if she won't walk then she's going to get killed... yet the baddies are getting away...

I won't say any more about the story as it unfolds but suffice to say that I had enough. I just couldn't hack repeating the same missions after being killed, or doing the same stuff again and again.

This game probably has a lot more to offer but I just can't be bothered finding out what it is. That's the problem! I need excitement and there's little on offer. Shame that, I saw a giant hamster ball that I wanted to climb into but it costs $2000.... I could run back and smash up some cash registers but ZZZZzzzzzzzz.........

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring slow Action and horror for Adults, 7 Oct 2010
M. Schmitt - See all my reviews
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
Hello,

i ordered the game after i saw several videos, previews and so on. My first thought was "wow, nice game, could be very funny" but the truth got me. It seems to me the vids were cutted together with the best scenes from the game so far.
The story is horror for parents with a little daughter because (!) there is nothing to laugh about (not as in the previews). The story is far away to be funny. The game itself is boring to me. The Movement is to slow and it seems you would need a gamepad to play (Console Conversion). Moving with the Mouse don't work fast; all is very slow.

I would suggest to buy Left for Dead (2) because theres more action and a little bit of fun; it has also coop. ty for reading my bad english ;)

Dead Rising 2 (PC DVD)
Dead Rising 2 (PC DVD) by Capcom (Windows Vista / XP)
8.77