4.0 out of 5 stars Good replacement for aging pj
I'd been persevering with an aging Optoma H79, mainly due to the colour quality (amazing skin tones and deep blacks)...
This had cost over £2000, albeit 6 years back..

The HD200X is a good replacement, at the price, the 1080i/p image quality is amazing, with correct (i.e. low) ambient light, the blacks are better than I was expecting for this price...
Published on 15 Nov 2010 by babybel

2.0 out of 5 stars Great but wont last much more than a yesr
I bought this projector (from Amazon) 14 months ago, It worked perfectly and was very impressive compared next to my other (Ben Q) projector.
However,... 14 months with a total of 500 hours used according to the bulb timer and the projector malfunctioned.
Contacted Optoma and was informed the warranty had expired after 12 months (not good considering the cost of...
Published 20 months ago by Worth Mentioning

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good replacement for aging pj, 15 Nov 2010
This review is from: Optoma HD200X 1080p Full HD Home Cinema Projector (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
This had cost over £2000, albeit 6 years back..

It handles blu-ray amazingly, beign used to 720p, you really notice the difference here.

If your main use is gaming and the odd film, you cannot go wrong with this.. It appears Optoma have packed a heck of a lot in for this price..

Throw ratio isnt super short, Ive got about 3m and if still fills a 90" screen, so use the guides available online to work out your distance.

Noise levels, I don't notice much difference to my old Optoma, and on cooldown, it blasts, so Optoma have definitely thought about the issues with overheating..

Tips:
1) make sure you spend some time with calibration, out of the box skin tones need to come down a little..
2)if a replacement, watch out for ceiling mounting, you need M3 screws and a much smaller mount than the old school projectors, but I managed to use a Voges mount (with none of the arms) and its fine..

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't hesitate, take the plunge, you won't regret it, 23 Aug 2010
E.B. "tech-head" (Grantham, Lincolnshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This is my first DLP Projector and after many weeks deciding whether I should go for a cheaper 720p projector, I finally decided I'd probably regret it if I didn't go for the full 1080p Projector. After reading many reviews I decided on the Optoma HD200x and boy, I can say I was not disappointed.
In anticipation, I had bought the [90" 2.25m 16:9 Tripod Based HD Projector Projection Screen] by TechSolutions and a [HDMIKing- Imperial Series 4.5M (15ft) v1.3c 120hz+ HDMI Cable- Gold Plated, Double Insulated [Frustration-Free Packaging]], both via Amazon, to connect to my "Sony BDPS370 Blu-ray Player".

Out of the box with all its default settings (Cinema mode), I played Avatar, on DVD, not Blu-ray, in front of the wife and kids. They were blown away instantly as the 90inch, perfectly displayed, image made my 42" Panasonic Plasma, look like a 16"portable. They were a bit sceptical at first about the projector, but are now avid converts and can't imagine watching another movie on a `small' screen.

To get a 90inch image, I had my projector perched on a kitchen chair, approximately 11 feet from the screen. Yep, I could have made the image bigger if I wanted to, but 90" was perfect for the size of my room.

If you're wondering if you should take the plunge and buy that 42/50" telly, forget it and get this projector. You won't be disappointed. I can't wait to get it hooked into my Sky HD box when the footy's on next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent picture quality, 31 Oct 2010
Mr A (Hertfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
I have had the optoma hd200x for about 10 days now.
The picture quality really is stunning for a projector in this price range.
PS3 is a real treat run through this thing. Remember the projector has no speakers so you will need to have your own audio set up. I run an optical cable from my PS3 and sky hd box to a logic 3 sound bar which works well. Saves having speakers all over the place.
When I first received the projector and powered up it kept giving me these weird white vertical lines on screen. Couldn't get rid of them unless I pressed the bottom of the projector - yes weird eh !
Anyway I was about to send it back but suddenly the lines disappeared and I have now had about 25 hours use without any further problems.
The fan is very quiet unless you have the AI mode on or run the lamp in Bright mode. These two seem to really cause a lot of fan noise. You don't need either of these modes on in my opinion.
Packaging as someone else said is very good and the remote whilst a bit cheap and plasticky looking is reasonably good, especially as it is backlit.
A 1080P projector in this price range really is a good buy, so if you can afford it you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars oldie but goodie..., 4 Nov 2011
Just bought this to replace the ageing, but excellent optoma HD65. This model seems to be discontinued, hence the gradual price reduction. I was expecting to be blown away with the transition from 720 to full hd, I wasn't. This is probably due to the outstanding HD65 but now I've had the 200x for a few days, well it's looking better and better. Individual pixels are no longer visible, even on a 120 inch screen. blacks seem a little deeper, the menus remain simple and intuitive. Set-up was a doddle, five minutes and I was off and running. It's a lot bigger than my old HD65, and is made of the finger printy hungry piano black plastic so beloved of gadget manufacturers. However at the current price (£599) it can't be beaten. Indeed it may well be cheaper when you buy it, consumer of tomorrow! Just watched the 2009 Star Trek on blu-ray, and it was like being in my local cinema, but I could actually bring in my own food!

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive performance, 2 April 2010
I've never seen anything like it. Maybe I haven't seen much, but I don't see how home cinema projection can get any noticeably or appreciably better than this. I have it connected to a Sony BDPS760B Blu Ray player via an Onkyo TXSR577 receiver. I'm using a reasonable quality 5m HDMI cable from Neet (and yes, it does matter about the quality of the cable at these lengths - below 3m you can use virtually anything, longer than that and you need to use something good) and the picture quality is stunning when it is projected onto a home theatre screen. I really think you have to be some kind of propeller-headed AV pedant to find much wrong with this when it is used in a home theatre environment.
When you're not displaying it in AI mode or have "bright" selected (neither of which I have found to be necessary) the fan noise is very low - for all intents and purposes it's inaudible once you start watching a film. If you select either of those modes, the noise can become intrusive.
Someone commented that the product is cheap and plasticky. I do think the casing does have a certain low-quality element to it, but I wouldn't describe it as cheap. The high gloss black finish looks good, and when it's ceiling mounted, I think it looks pretty smart. It's bigger than I expected, the pictures are misleading in their perspective, and it's quite heavy too. I'm surprised there are only 3 x M3 mounting holes to secure this to the ceiling mount. I will be keeping a close eye on this for the next few weeks. The last thing I want is eight hundred quid's worth of kit falling off the ceiling. It does have a security bar mounting and I am considering attaching a chain to this and securing it to a big hook in the ceiling, just in case.
One reviewer dismissed it for lack of lens shift. I'm not sure why this is an issue when you can ceiling mount it on an adjustable mount, but maybe I'm missing the point. Note that there is vertical shift and keystone shift provided in the software features.
My first film was "Up" as I wanted to try it with a modern, made for Blu Ray film and I wasn't disappointed. I couldn't watch the film (which is maybe why I thought it wasn't good) for marvelling at the detail of the image, the brightness and the depth of colour.
I'm very impressed with this projector.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really pleased, 15 Sep 2010
This arrived 9AM by courier and was extremely well packaged through out, no chance of getting damaged.
Rigged this up in minutes straight from the box. Only needed 2 cables to plug in, power and HDMI from my Virgin Media box. I was presented with a huge image of my selected TV channel, i was able to use a projector screen and part of a partitioning wall in my house to project the image onto, this resulted in a 95" crystal clear picture, any HD picture is incredible. Great colours and a large amount of options are available to fine tune the picture to get it just how you want it.
There is a slight 'rainbow' effect - but this in no way has spoiled my enjoyment of this projector - thoroughly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good projector, 5 Sep 2011
I purchased this after quite a bit of online research. I was looking for a full HD projector, and this offered the best price/features option. I use it in a room without a screen and the colour is pretty good. I have not had one issue with the projector, and I have no issues with recommending this projector

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Value!, 27 Feb 2011
This is a great piece of kit. Had one for 3 months now and still loving it, and can`t see how it could be any better. It`s FULL HD, which is definately what you need to get the most of a Ps3 or a blu-ray player. If you`re doubting it`s clarity, don`t! My screen is nearly 3m wide and looks stunning. Fan gets hot, so you don`t want to be sitting next to it, so it`s better to mount on wall or ceiling. This is the projector to buy unless you`re absolutely loaded!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Full HD projector for the money., 29 Nov 2009
I've moved from an old business projector (800x600) to this full HD projector and the difference is stunning. Coupled to a Blu-Ray player it's truly fantastic - 4 stars because there is a visible rainbow effect on bright whites in fast moving scenes, but the wife can't see this, so I must be more sensitive to it - the only drawback of DLP technology for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 29 Mar 2010
I am really pleased with this projector. It is truly a full high definition projector with the upscaling function; making the usual DVDs appear remarkably good on screen. It is quite light weight and easy to use, with simple and straight forward instructions. I am enjoying movies with my family just as if I am having a mini theatre in my own home! It has inputs for HDMI cables (x2), VGA input, component video input and RCA video input. It is very quiet as well. The audio output from the DVD player/drive has to be attached to separate speakers via appropriate cable/cables. Thoroughly recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›