HALL OF FAMEon 25 October 2002
I don't buy many CD's, but I loved each of the Alice Band's singles so when their album was released I got it. I haven't regretted it for a minute. They're a perfect mix for me. There's rock, there's pop, there's some celtic sound to it and then a little bit of country. These are three talented ladies who deserve to be much further up in the charts. They have their own sound in a world where every Pop Stars/Pop Idol product sounds the same. I've been trying to think of my favourite tracks, but I keep ending up with the whole CD on my list. If any, the last song "Is This All", is the weakest of the 12, but it's still a nice end to a fabulous hour's listening. I've had this CD in my car for several months now and I'm still not tired of it. A real bargain! Now I can't wait to hear what they come up with next, and just hope that the radio stations will start playing them a bit more.
on 18 May 2002
the alice band are not as well recognised as they should be, and it was only after seeing an ad promoting the album that i knew they had one out. its a great album, with the main focus on beautiful harmonies and acoustic guitars.
ten year night: very gentle opening to the album, with soft vocals. 9/10
one day at a time: one of the more poppy songs. not originally my favourite but its now growing on me. strong chorus. 8/10
january's child: its not until it gets to the bridge and chorus that this becomes such a beautiful song, the melodies are good. 8/10
angel: very soft pop. airy and melodic chorus. 8/10
now that you love me: the album version is different to the single. a more moody track, but i think one of the best, with a catchy chorus. 10/10
everything i'm looking for: this shows off the girls angelic voices. it has a slight r'n'b feel in the verses, but the chorus is gentle and harmonic. 9/10
one good thing: very acoustic, another more poppy tune. 8/10
nothing on but the radio: probably my favourite. this is a very catchy track with a great chorus and harmonies. 10/10
tambourine song: my least favourite on the album, however the only exception. quite folk-song like. 7/10
annie: doesnt really seem to fit in with the other songs, but is one of those that you really listen to the lyrics. 7/10
lights are changing: the opening riff reminds me of 'there she goes'! this is kind of a driving across the country song. it has a country-rock feel to it. 9/10
is this all?: very sultry and calm. an airy-voiced laid back track. 8/10
overall i give this 9/10. at the moment i cant stop listening to it, and all due credit to the alice band, as listening to the album shows just how much work they put into it. i highly recommend it.
on 23 May 2002
I've been waiting for The Alice Band's first album
for what seems like ages. Well, it has certainly been worth the wait. One good thing is that Charity, Amy and Audrey can all play guitar so it's not your average-nowadays-put-together-to-make-a-quick-buck-kind of an affair. So I was well impressed with "The Love Junk Store". It's full of good songwriting and great musicianship and gorgeous vocals. One of the best albums of the year,treat yourself to it.
on 16 May 2002
I first heard of the Alice Band last summer-their song 'One Day At A Time' was on The Box music channel, and I liked it from the start, thinking it was really different to all the other dance/garage 'anthems' getting released in time for summer. I also think the line 'I'm not gonna make it lying in bed, or dreaming it up in my head' is cool. I don't think the song did too well in the charts, which is a shame as it should have done. Their 2 more recent singles are on here too-'Nothing On But The Radio' and 'Now That You Love Me', both of which are great songs. Reminicsent of The Corrs (one of the girls actually looks like a long lost Corr sister), which is no bad thing, as the Corrs are one of my favourite bands. It's great to see a band that actually play their own instruments in a music world where most acts are now miming to songs they haven't written. So The Alice Band are a breath of fresh air. Highlights of the album include the track 'January's Child', which is very thought provoking. Then there's 'Everything I'm Looking For' and the brilliant 'Tambourine Song', which again has lyrics that stick in your head. Even the album cover is great-every time I look at it I find something new I hadn't seen before. All in all, an album I'd recommend. The Alice Band should go far, let's hope they get the right promotion, and the success they deserve.
on 19 November 2002
The Love Junk Store is an accomplished debut by the Alice Band. There is nothing absolutely outstanding on the album but nothing duff either. "One day at a time" was an infectious and catchy single, whilst Lights are changing" is an excellent country rock song reminiscent of some of the work Kasey Chambers has done.I'd recommend this album to any one who enjoys breezy hummable pop music.
on 13 May 2002
I don't usually buy albums after listening to just one track as sometimes they're disappointing in general, the love junk store is an acceptation and I would highly recommend it to the would-be purchaser who has only heard one or two singles from the album. The songs that follow are exceptional and clearly a lot of work has gone into them, as they are all unique, yet are all from the uplifting folk-pop genre, if you enjoy listening to artists such as the corrs, jewel and aimee mann then you'll love tis album.
on 17 May 2002
Since "One Day.." was released I've been waiting for the "Alice" album. Boy was it worth the wait. It starts with a superb version of Lucy Kaplansky's "One Year Night" - spine tingler (Like Alice, get Lucy!). From then on the tempo is a wonderfully well balanced rollercoater of light rock & folk. And that closer "Is This All?" - if it doesn't melt you your dead. One of the best albums I've heard for years.
on 13 May 2002
I don't usually buy albums after listening to just one track as sometimes they're disappointing in general, the love junk store is an acceptation and I would highly recommend it to the would-be purchaser who has only heard one or two singles from the album. The songs that follow are exceptional and clearly a lot of work has gone into them, as they are all unique, yet are all from the uplifting folk-pop genre.
on 4 February 2013
Having recently heard 'Nothing but the radio on' single I decided to give the album I try. Thoroughly enjoyed all the tracks, even the reworking of 'Don't Fear the Reaper' suited the girl's voices and singing style, which was what sealed the 5 stars.
on 13 March 2007
my best friend gave me the album to listen to and never looked back

we like number 1 ten year night and number 6 everything i am looking for.

but the whole of the album is great, just sit back and listen to it