4.0 out of 5 stars KIngston HyperX DDR3 1600 CL9 2X4G
Published on 31 Aug. 2012 by RB

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad batch...
One stick was faulty. At first I thought it was a problem with the motherboard but it later transpired that it was one memory stick at fault. Unfortunately, this was not discovered until the return period to Amazon had expired and Kingston's return policy for items purchased in the UK is so complicated that I gave up. So beware if you purchase this item in the UK
Published on 24 Dec. 2012 by Mr P J Keasley

4.0 out of 5 stars KIngston HyperX DDR3 1600 CL9 2X4G, 31 Aug. 2012
Ordered from Amazon and as usual arrived quicker than expected. Actual sticks look much better than in pictures. However the claim to 1600 speed is only at 1.65v not 1.5v. Intel boards (with Sandybridge etc.) run at 1.5v and this memory shows a speed of 1333 at that voltage. In an AMD system it will set at 1.65v and runs at 1600. Been running on AMD board now for couple of weeks and is fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why buy 12GB? HERE'S WHY..., 3 April 2012
Mr. T. F. Norton (Maidstone, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HyperX Genesis 12 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 CL9 DIMM Memory Kit (3 x 4 GB) - XMP Ready (Personal Computers)
I concur with other reviewers below that this RAM is a very solid choice. It's plenty fast enough for all but keen enthusiasts. However, I wanted to write a review for anyone who is considering why they should buy 12GB of RAM rather than, say, 6GB. This is especially pertinent now that RAM prices have plummeted.

----

The fact that one can buy 12GB of high quality RAM so cheaply means that many people will end up purchasing it even though for most users, having this much RAM will be well above their needs. Let me tell you all now why in actual fact, 12GB is both useful - and for a lot of people - an excellent choice!

First of all you need to understand how Windows handles memory. No matter how much RAM you have, Windows *always* creates virtual memory. This is a space on your hard drive (typically half as much space as you have RAM) that Windows uses to simulate RAM. It does this because back in the day, people would need more memory than they had and so using hard drive space was a cheap solution. The problem is that even though computers now generally ship with 4GB+ of memory, this virtual memory still exists - and what's worse is that there are plenty of programs that default to using it. So even if you had 12GB of RAM (i.e. well beyond all your needs), you'd still need virtual memory activated, as some programs (games a lot of the time demand 1.5GB of virtual memory, for example) will simply refuse to load - in spite of the fact that you have enough system memory already!

There is a way to solve this issue quite neatly. What we do is use all this extra RAM to create a RAMDisk. This is like the opposite of virtual memory - it is space in your RAM that is used to mimic a hard disk. There are plenty of options out there - I used memory.dataram.com's freeware, which will create a 4GB RAMDisk at no cost. The steps needed to make it work are as follows:

1) Disable your current virtual memory. (You'll get warnings, don't worry about them.) Reboot.

2) Install your chosen RAMDisk software. The one I mentioned is dead simple to use. You may be asked to confirm you want to install some drivers, that's fine. Also, if you want a RAMDisk larger than 2GB, you'll need to select FAT32 (FAT16 limits all disk partition sizes to 2GB). I would recommend FAT32 - I went for a 4GB RAMDisk so that my 12GB of RAM is divided in a ratio 2:1. (This means that, superficially, I 'only' have 8GB of RAM available in my system now.) Now, you have a new drive appearing in Explorer.

3) Go back to your Virtual Memory settings, and choose 'Custom Size'. If you try and let Windows do it all automatically, it'll say the disk is too small. (What it worries about is the drive being filled up with *other* stuff, but we're dedicating it to VM so this isn't a problem.) I set my minimum to 2048MB, and maximum to just a little below the disk size (4000MB). Apply those settings, and you're done!

Now, you're actually using all 12GB with some purpose. There are tangible differences, too. Hard disks (especially magnetic disks) are VERY slow compared to RAM. So programs that default to using virtual memory will run a lot quicker. On top of this, your hard drive is now no longer trying to do two things simultaneously - demanding programs (especially games) now aren't writing to the hard drive twice over (loading and using VM). And of course, you recover a few GB of memory from your hard drive. In my case, I use an SSD for Windows, and so since it is a smaller drive, space is precious.

I hope this information helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast memory, 29 Aug. 2013
Installed this ram as part of a new build pc, no installation problems running alongside an AMD fx8320 8 core processor, Asus Nvidia GTX 660 graphics card and ASUS M5A78L motherboard. All running very fast, I would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kingston HyperX 16GB 4 x 4GB RAM 1600MHz, 5 Jan. 2012
SuperFlag "SF" (Once upon a time.) - See all my reviews
Kingston HyperX 16GB 4 x 4GB RAM 1600MHz kit is installed and working fine. This is a 4 pieces of RAM kit and each piece is 4GB. Please make sure that your motherboard has 4 RAM slots and that this is the correct type, DDR3, 240 Pin.

Fitting/Installing:
When I first fitted this RAM it ran at the slightly slower clock speed of 1333MHz than 1600MHz, but this is quite common with RAM.
In order to make it run at 1600MHz I had to simply change a Memory Setting in the BIOS so that it would use XMP Memory Profile. Google XMP Memory Profile for more info on this, basically its just a standard for memory settings. It's easy to check the BIOS and make changes, but if you have never done this before then please watch a video on how to do it on Youtube, or ask a friend to show you.
Fitting was easy and straight forward, as expected.

Packaging: The 4 sticks came spaced apart from each other wrapped in a tough clear plastic box. The plastic box was wrapped in bubblewrap around the middle leaving the ends without bubblewrap, but the product seems fine. However I would have liked it if there was a bit of bubblewrap at the ends too. This bubblewrapped plastic box was then placed inside a plastic bag type envelope.

Overall it's inside the pc and working fine, but it's only been a couple of weeks. I would buy this RAM again and from the same seller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz CL9 12GB DIMM Memory Module (Kit of 3), 26 Sept. 2011
Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz CL9 12GB DIMM Memory Module (Kit of 3)

1600 , very fast , looks cool , and when i run it at 1.65v and 1600 windows gives me , 7.8 as experience index for memory. i am running it now on, frequency 1112 , 1.5 v , and timings 9-9-9-27 , and windows gives me experience index of 7.6 . i personally prefer lower voltages and tighter timings and not a lot is changing in performance just i know that my ram will last longer. Over all it is recommended RAM

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 9 April 2012
I've been using Kingston memory ever since I can remember so when I've built my own PC about 2 years ago, it was the obvious choice for me. I only put 4 GB when I first built it so I decided it was time to show it that I care so I bought this kit. It's well packaged, it comes with instructions (anyone can install the modules if you only follow the instructions step by step). I had to switch to Win 7 64 bit to be able to use it (32 bit versions don't recognize more than 3.2 GB). I installed it in less than 5 minutes, the PC recognized everything the first time and I've been using it for about a month now without any problems. I like building environment maps for games (3D maps) and I wanted to learn other 3D apps and with the help of this kit, everything runs perfect! I would recommend (actually I already did) to anyone. Overall, great product!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Memory, 25 Sept. 2012
Nigel Hollingworth "Nigel Hollingworth" (North Lincs UK) - See all my reviews
So, why am I here again? Oh yes, memory, it's terrible! Mine that is, not this. I was getting some wicked blue screen of death crash dumps from my trusty PC, generally at the most inopportune moment, Skyping the boss, just about to level up on BF3, just about to lace that $1 million trade on the markets.. (yeah right), but you get the picture. It took ages to work out what was happening but I finally traced it down to 2 faulty Memory modules. (Thanks a lot Crucial!) I had tried to save a few quid and paid the price. So here we are, I bought this and it works just fine, no issues whatsoever and no crash dump errors in over 6 weeks.... Finally ranked up in BF3 too. Good memory that works well, oh and it's blue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and effective!!!, 2 Jan. 2012
I was already an owner of the 3x2GB kit as I use my PC for video editing. But with the addition of this 3x4GB kit, I really managed to upgrade my systems performance. Even with a little overclocking, the system remains stable and the memory modules do an excellent job without over-heating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Memory, 6 Feb. 2012
I received this memory exactly as promised. I was able to install it in the computer that I was building and everything has gone perfectly.
The high speed RAM is amazing and I am very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent upgrade, 14 Mar. 2012
Salvador Edmundo Escalante (Palma de Mallorca, España) - See all my reviews
I already had 8GB of the same type of memory in my PC and just want to get the maximum amunt of memory for my PC. My PC have an ASUS M4A78LT-M with a Phemon II X4 955BE @3.5GHz. Installation (always following the usual electrical precutions) easy as just snap it to the available memory sockets and turn the PC again, getting into the BIOS setup first to check the new available amount of memory 16GB. The PC booted as always, no much feeling of any boot improvement (and didn't expect it either), around 14-17 seconds to boot Win7 Ultimate x64. Additional testing opening several applications with no lag detected so far, I do not use my PC for gaming but I have Street Fighter 4 that performed AA with almost all efects activated with my humble Radeon HD4650 1GB (overclocked), multimedia (audio/video/stream) performed great and very fast with several playback applications. Internet browsing excellent as usual. In general I did not suffer any (hardware) compatibility issue with the already installed memory (same make and model) and confirm the good performance of my decent system based in ASUS/ATI/AMD components. I just want to be ready for any forthcoming application that might need to use some extra memory and keep my PC performing in good shape for some years.