5.0 out of 5 stars A trick I've used....
At first I had trouble getting the fondant out of the cutters-sometimes worked ok and other times very frustrating.

Then.....I tried putting a small piece of cling film over the fondant before pressing the cutter on gently and wriggling it about a bit to cut right through. It works perfectly-pull the cling film away gently and voila, perfect letters...
Published 15 months ago by Mrs. J. V. Howard

3.0 out of 5 stars okay
It was frustrating at first trying to get the letters out of the cutters all in one piece, so i used a lot of corn flour and my modelling tools to poke them out of the cutters which worked, they came out whole, pleased with how they make my cakes look.
Published on 15 Mar 2012 by Jess

5.0 out of 5 stars A trick I've used...., 22 Sep 2013
Mrs. J. V. Howard (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: FMM Uppercase Funky Alphabet & Number Tappit Set (Kitchen & Home)

Hope this helps the ones who have abandoned all hope!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous aid to cake decorating, 30 Oct 2012
Sandra Rhodes (Cambridgeshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I received these only today and am VERY impressed with them. I had used the non-funky type at my cake decorating class so had a small amount of practice at using them before ordering my own.

In response to some of the negative reviews, I have found they work perfectly provided (a) you use modelling paste which is rolled incredibly thinly - just as you would for flowers etc., DO NOT USE SUGARPASTE (b) the board/surface and the cutter must be dusted with cornflower (not icing sugar); (c) there is NO trace of water on the cutters. The instructions suggest that you wash them before use - they must be allowed to thoroughly dry before use or your paste WILL stick; and (d) you need some patience and a scribing needle/tool to tease the letters out if they don't come loose upon shaking. Although all of that sounds a bit faffy, it is simple enough with a little practice and you will have perfect letters/numbers to add to your cakes. Finally, I think if you have coloured your paste it may be a little warm from the manipulation and you might want to leave it to sit for a bit before using it. They're fab and I'm very happy with them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funky!, 17 July 2012
S. Knopp (Herne Bay, Kent) - See all my reviews
I use these regularly and find it much easier than piping!

If you have difficulty getting them out of the cutter then corn flour and a scribe will help!

4.0 out of 5 stars Looking good..., 26 Aug 2011
I think the product produces lovely neat letters. A bit of a fiddle at first. I think corn flour is better to use instead of icing sugar to get them out of the cutter but all in all produces even letters that make my cakes look great. X

3.0 out of 5 stars okay, 15 Mar 2012

3.0 out of 5 stars needs practice, 4 Nov 2013
These are very handy once you get the hang of using them, took me quite a while to perfect! The fondant needs to have cmc (or something simular) to make it set harder, quicker and it needs to be quite thin. all in all now I am used to them I do like this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars In the end I found just regular fondant with some tylo in it worked far better and now I have the hang of it I'm ..., 6 Sep 2014
Mrs. L. S. Andrews (London UK) - See all my reviews
I bought these knowing they have a reputation for being difficult to use. Followed the instructions which was to use flowerpaste and after 3 attempts gave up with that. In the end I found just regular fondant with some tylo in it worked far better and now I have the hang of it I'm really pleased with them. I have heard of people using clingfilm between the fondant and the tappit and apparently that makes them even easier to use!

5.0 out of 5 stars Letters look great, 13 Jun 2013
I bought these then looked at the reviews. I was a bit worried and at first thought I was going to have problems after a couple of attempts they gave really good results. The icing has to be really thin and let it dry a little add icing sugar to surface your rolling out on. i also used an icing rolling pin. Give them a good tap and they just popped out. I do not make a living out of making cakes only do them for the kids. Found them really easy but only after a few practices. Would highly recommend them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Poor, 11 Mar 2012
Very disappointing - have not been able to use, they get stuck in the cutters and paste has to be so thin it does not hold the shape, would advise anyone even if a highly qualified cake maker NOT to buy

1.0 out of 5 stars hard too use, 22 Aug 2011
very hard to get letter to realease without breaking. if i could return them i would.ordered upper and lowercse but so far only recived uppercase

FMM Uppercase Funky Alphabet & Number Tappit Set