5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC GADGET
I bought this purely to grate vegetables for making soup. It certainly delivers!

I got so carried away, I had to split my ingredients over two large pots. The speed it got through those carrots, potatoes and even turnip was very impressive.

Published on 21 Oct 2011 by Big Mama

3.0 out of 5 stars Kenwood
Published 22 months ago by wals

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC GADGET, 21 Oct 2011
Big Mama "BM" (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Kenwood AT340 Slicer/Shredder Attachment for Kenwood Chef (Kitchen & Home)

I will be trying it with cheese as suggested by another reviewer. To be honest, I am more than delighted so far and it is so easy to clean.

Go on buy one - I know it is expensive, but think of your fingers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 24 Oct 2011
I have used this for the first time today to slice a large amount of onions for chutney and vegetables for soup. I am absolutely delighted with it. It slices and grates cleanly, evenly and quickly. Being able to slice or grate straight in the the container used for cooking makes for less washing up too. A valuable addition to my kitchen arsenal.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT, 23 Nov 2012
Great attachment made of good quality. It will last long time. 5 star for it's design and performance.

You should be aware that it is not worth having it if you cook small quantities. I am not using it enough so to justify expense (I used it perhaps 5 times in the last year) - but that is my fault for not thinking this purchase through. I find it easier and quicker to chop few carrots and potatoes using the knife - but when it comes to cooking dinner for more than few people, this attachment cuts your job from 20 min down to 2.

It is a bit much to wash, but all blenders/cutters requires similar treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best purchase ever!!, 29 Aug 2011
Brilliant gadget - superb attachment to the Kenwood Chef, saves an enormous amount of time, slices, grates, shreds, everything including cucumbers, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, cheese, chocolate, carrots, it's absolutely fantastic. Wish I'd bought it earlier.

3.0 out of 5 stars Kenwood, 20 Jan 2013
I have always rated kenwood products, & this is no exception in it's quality, but am a little disappointed in it's action, the attachments are not quite true to there description of slicing,& it is a little messy, & not easy to clean. Overall, I wish I had treated myself to a food processor, rather than put this attachment on/off of my main machine , the parts of which take up quite a lot of room.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great help!, 7 July 2013
I bought this attachment especially for preparing calslow salad and it does its job. I have tried it with parmesan and nuts and its perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars AT340, 16 Nov 2011
Great addition for the Kenwood Chef. I was looking for something cheaper than this but could not find anything.
I thought that it was a lot of money for a shredder/slicer but I went ahead and bought it. What a wonderful piece of equipment this is. The quality feel is good and it works a dream. Shreds raw parsnips in no time. It's so much quicker and easier than doing it with a knife.
The only down side is that when cleaning out the inside of the platic cover, there is a small crevice by the plunger hole that collects bits from shredding. It would be better in a dishwasher but when washing by hand then you will need a knife blade or a brush to remove the left overs.

All in all a good product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should have bought this years ago!, 5 Sep 2014
Curry Queen (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
I hate grating carrots but they feature in many of the things I cook. With a hand grater I grate my fingers and the kitchen somehow gets covered in grated carrot no matter how careful I am. My beloved Magimix grates quickly but there is always some waste and it is enormously fiddly to wash and dry. But this clever attachment whizzes through a kilo of carrots in seconds, produces just the right consistency and texture depending on which disc I use, leaves no odd waste bits and is simplicity itself to clean, dry and put away. I cannot imagine what took me so long. I haven't tried the slicing or chipping discs yet but I'm so pleased with the grating I would have bought it just for that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality - does what it says on the tin, 1 Sep 2011
Lots of blades for grating cheese to chopping chunchy vegs.
A must have for people cooking for 4+ people.
Easily washed in the washing machine.
Strong and easy continous loading for batch cooking.

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy this if you're cooking for 10+ people and don't care how the food looks, 31 Mar 2013
Adam Hosman (Budapest, Hungary) - See all my reviews
This is my most expensive and least used attachment.
It has many parts and is a real chore to clean. And it's not like it replaces your knife and board: you still have to clean, trim, portion, and possibly slice the vegetables lengthwise before you put them in here, so you might as well just finish them the way you started, unless you're really terrified of knives. (Even though these sharp multi-edged disks will cut you much sooner than a knife.)

I really bought this for making large amounts of KFC style coleslaw, which is quite hard on my wrists when done with a knife. I was very disappointed with the results. As I said before, if you want a small dice, you need to do 70% of the work with a knife beforehand, including lengthwise slicing. Then, press your cleanly cut veg into the machine, and watch it transform into casually shredded ugly bits as you struggle to push everything through the vegetable end-pieces from a minute before that are now clogging the machine.
But let's say you don't want a dice, thin strips are fine. Carrots will come out great, then you go on with some onions and look as they turn into a pulp with some juice dripping out. As it turns out, grating isn't a grate way (sorry) to cut onions. So now fish that pulp out of your carrots if you can and restart with a coarser plate. Somewhat better, but now it's a completely different size. Continue tweaking until you're satisfied with your ugly, randomly shredded salad, while coming to terms with the learning curve required for this machine to make your life "easier". And to think you could've spent all this time learning to use your trusty chef's knife, which takes about 5 seconds to wipe clean and actually makes clean cuts on your veggies!

Speaking of learning curve, assembly isn't particularly easy: I used this a total of 3 times before I gave up, and the manual made its appearance every time.

I'm not saying this is a badly made machine, although Kenwood could do better. I'm saying it creates more problems than it solves, and would be practical for only a few people. I can see the use if you're making ratatouille for 20 people, a sliced carrot side dish for an entire platoon, 2kg of zucchini chips for every party you attend, or host weekly cook-outs for the whole neighborhood. Otherwise, save the money and learn some basic knife skills, they will take you a long, long way.