‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Karma is a funny thing, 3 April 2010
This review is from: My Name Is Earl - Seasons 1-4 [DVD] (DVD)
I'll have to admit I was never overly fussed about My Name Is Earl, not being a fan of American comedy's I didn't bother with this until my uncle recommended it. I watched an episode and laughed out loud. The story itself is fantastic spawning four seasons unfortunately the series was cancelled which I will explain later on in the review. The story follows a man named Earl Hickey who has been a criminal and a bad person since he was a kid, one day after winning a $100, 000 on a lotto scratcher and as he celebrates this he is hit by a car and his scratcher flies away. He ends up in hospital where his wife divorces him. Having lost his wife and two children that arent his the only thing he has left is his dumb brother Randy who undoubtedly steals the show. As he is in hospital with his brother keeping constant surveilance he learns the concept of Karma and decides to make a list of all the bad things he's done and one by one he's going to make up for those things. After he gets out of the hospital him and his slow - witted brother Randy check into a motel where they meet illegal immagrint maid Catalina who Randy falls in love with. He then chooses a random item off his list "Picked on Kenny James in high school". He goes off to find Kenny and finds a little more than he can handle and tries to help him. And this is just the pilot episode. The following few episodes focus on Earl ending up getting his scratcher back and Joy (his ex wife) doing whatever she possibly can to get his money even if it resolves in murder. Along the way we meet Darnell "Crabman" Turner, the man of which Joy is now married to however Earl, Randy and Catalina still like him as a best friend. We also have Kenny James who just so happens to be a recurring character throughout the four seasons. Patty a prostitue (also reccuring), Earl and Randy's Mother and Father (recurring), Joy's mother and father (very minor characters) and many more quirky and imaginative characters which are very good fun.

Season One, 2005, 5 Stars, 24 Episodes:
The introductory season one of the best too. The best episodes are: Pilot, Quit Smoking, Randy's Touchdown, Faked My Own Death, Teacher Earl, Broke Joy's Fancy Figurine, Joy's Wedding, White Lie Christmas, O Karma Where Art Thou?, Something To Live For, Didn't Pay Taxes, Y2K, Boogeyman, The Bounty Hunter, BB, Number one. Also White Lie Christmas is actually a decent Christmas special.

Season Two, 2006, 5 Stars, 23 Episodes:
Earl continues with his Karmic list, lots more comedy awaits leading onto season three's storyline. The best episodes are: Sticks and Stones, Larceny of a Kitty Cat, Van Hickey, Made a Lady Think I was God, Mailbox, Robbed a Stoner Blind, Born a Gamblin' Man, South of the Border PT I, South of the Border PT II, Our 'Cops' Is On, Buried Treasure, Kept a Guy Locked In A Truck, Foreign Exchange Student, Blow, The Birthday Party, Harassed a Reporter, G.E.D, Get a Real Job, The Trial. Just like the first season this has some truly fantastic episodes and some great moments, including Earl falling in love with Joy's deaf lawyer, Randy getting a girlfriend, Randy gets a green card marraige, and the biggest bit of all Earl going to prison.

Season Three, 2007, 3 Stars, 22 Episodes:
Season three follows Earl being in prison well at least the first half does then we get a rather boring and dull second half with Earl being in a coma and him also falling in love with as woman named Billie whom he marries, however one prek of the last half is Kenny and Stewart's unusual relationship. Best episodes include: My Name Is Inmate 28301-016 PT I, My Name Is Inmate 28301-016 PT II, Our Other 'Cops' Is On PT I, Our Other 'Cops' Is On PT II, Early Release, Bad Earl, I Won't Die With a Little Help From My Friends Pt I, I Won't Die With a Little Help From My Friends Pt II. So not much comes out of this series hence the three star rating.

Season Four, 2008, 5 Stars, 27 Episodes:
Now this series is unarguably the best, the series gets right back on track with serious style. Prepare yourself for a funny final series. The reason the show was cancelled after this series is because of the season's final episode which ended on a cliffhanger so it was expected we would see a season five but the writers couldn't think of a way to conclude the ending without lowering there writing integrity, so like other good series including Deadwood and Futurama this show was cancelled and to be honest fairly short lived however Futurama has been reinstated so there you go. My Name Is Earl ends in style and a fantastic season. The best episodes include: The Magic Hour, Vote For This and I Promise To Do Something Funny At the Daytime Emmy's, Joy In A Bubble, Stole an RV, Sweet Johnny, We've Got Spirit, Quit You're Snitching, Sold a Guy A Lemon Car, Earl and Joy's Anniversary, Orphan Earl, Got The Babysitter Pregnant, Darnell Outed PT I, Darnell Outed PT II, Friends With Benefits, Pinky, Bullies, Gospel, Dodge's Dad. This season is so great I doubt future seasons would have bettered it. This season also features a guest appearance from Danny Glover as Darnell's dad.

Despite season three this is an amazing sitcom which will have you laughing so hard in some places you may cry or puke or even both. I only imagine what season five would be like. Karma is a funny thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, 24 Jun 2010
Poul Petersen "pp_brussels" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Name Is Earl - Seasons 1-4 [DVD] (DVD)
Love this series and cannot recommend it enough. Earl, the reformed thief and general loser type, really cracks me up. But the supporting cast is also superb. Especially Randy, the dimwitted brother and Joy, the goodlooking but cheating white trailer-trash ex-wife who makes life difficult for him.

4.0 out of 5 stars my name is Earl 1 - 4, 7 Oct 2013
This review is from: My Name Is Earl - Seasons 1-4 [DVD] (DVD)
COMPLETE SERIES 1 - 4. Earl Hickey (Jason Lee), a lovable loser with a lifetime of dirty deeds to make up for Just seconds after winning the lottery, he's hit by a car and the winning ticket blows away in the breeze. Now Earl is determined to right the wrongs he's done - from stealing a one-legged girl's car to faking his own death and a whole lot more - as he embarks on a hilarious, life-renewal redemption.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best comedy series ever, 8 Feb 2013
Chris Menzel "Darth Chrith" (Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Name Is Earl - Seasons 1-4 [DVD] (DVD)
This is for me personally one of the best comedy series ever done on TV.
Definitely in the Top 4, together with Seinfeld, Stromberg and Big Bang Theory.
A shame it only lasted 4 seasons. Good stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 5 Dec 2013
This review is from: My Name Is Earl - Seasons 1-4 [DVD] (DVD)
Hilarious and heartwarming, such a shame it was cut short. A must for comedy fans. Though the premise is the same for each episode (which is kind of the point, i realise!) I never gets dull. I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Put this boxset at the top of your list..., 24 Mar 2014
This review is from: My Name Is Earl - Seasons 1-4 [DVD] (DVD)
A boxset worth getting.... even the extras are worth watching, especially the alternative pilot which shows a darker side to Earl. An enjoyable show from beginning to end. Deserves six stars!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Never fails to make us laugh, 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: My Name Is Earl - Seasons 1-4 [DVD] (DVD)
Really simple plot, not too many characters the majority of which are recurring ones. A real feel good watch.Its nice to watch something where every character gives something to the show.

5.0 out of 5 stars funny funny funny stuff, 31 Mar 2011
Brian G "Brian G" (greenock, scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Name Is Earl - Seasons 1-4 [DVD] (DVD)
my name is earl was one of the funnyist tv programs ive watched from start to finnish, so i had to buy this amazing boxset of all four seasons. Im just sad it had to end at season 4 and just leaves you hanging with ' to be continued' but there is no season 5. Bring back my name is earl so it can finnish with a good ending. This boxset is funny funny funny stuff

5.0 out of 5 stars my name is earl box set, 12 Jan 2014
This review is from: My Name Is Earl - Seasons 1-4 [DVD] (DVD)
Bought this box set for myself and wasn't disappointed its realy funny and to get the full set for this price is fantastic .i highly recommend this

5.0 out of 5 stars HILARIOUS, 25 Mar 2013
This review is from: My Name Is Earl - Seasons 1-4 [DVD] (DVD)
This box set is a must for anyone who loves Earl's adventures. I would strongly recommend it to anyone with a broadminded sense of humour.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

My Name Is Earl - Seasons 1-4 [DVD]
My Name Is Earl - Seasons 1-4 [DVD] by Jason Lee (DVD - 2009)