5.0 out of 5 stars Conditions
Published on 22 Nov 2009 by Spider Monkey

1.0 out of 5 stars Not even the correct CD!!!!
CD arrived unsealed (meant to be brand new) and visibly used. The CD has scratches all over it and the front and back covers have folds/marks. I decided to play the CD to see if the scratches were just superficial only to realise the CD itself isn't even Temper Traps Conditions, its some female singer i've never heard of! CD being returned today. Really not very...
Published 3 months ago by Cari

5.0 out of 5 stars Conditions, 22 Nov 2009
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Conditions (Audio CD)
I came to the music of The Temper Trap, as I'm sure many others have, off the back of `Sweet Disposition' and it has quickly become one of my favourite albums of the year. In fact it is never out of my stereo at the moment. From the opening track `Love Lost' you know you are in for a real treat and this album doesn't let you down at all. This band have their own unique sound and the singer has very distinctive and original vocals, but if you enjoy bands like Death Cab For Cutie then I recommend this album and think it will be right up your street. `Sweet Disposition' is a very strong track and the way it builds with the underlying jangly guitar really adds to it's impact and power. But more subtle tracks like `Soldier On' have real nuance and show the breadth of this bands talents. I also love the chorus of `Science of Fear` which keeps driving the song forward and makes you want to sing along with it full belt. The last track `Drum Song' is instrumental and whilst raw, is a great way to end this album. I could quite easily wax lyrical about this album but suffice it to say that it is original, has excellent song writing and would well benefit you to take a listen. It is one of those life enhancing albums and I can't recommend it enough.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing, provocative, soaring sounds, 10 Aug 2009
Mr. G. Sutcliffe "N Diamond Esquire" (London-Paris-Tokyo-Whitby) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Conditions (Audio CD)
A uniquely tuned voice, lead singer Dougy Mandagi could be one of the most exciting prospects to emerge from Australia in years. Supported by a great outfit that gives The Temper Trap an atmospheric, polished sound, they are without doubt my favourite band to emerge in 2009. They were amazing at Glastonbury, then again at Love Box, and now the album's out and it's bloody terrific. Sweet Disposition sounds like it's been sung by sentient beings in orbit above the earth, it feels so expansive and universal. Love Lost makes hairs stand up on your arms and stop what you're doing to listen. Fader storms down the highway like a drag racer powered by pure willpower, with some wonderful backing vocals.
Sometimes the lyrics seem slightly bonkers, and more than a little obtuse, but with a sound this great - I don't mind a bit!

4.0 out of 5 stars It will put you in a trance and make you wanna dance, 5 Mar 2011
S. MCBEATH "Stmcb" (uk) - See all my reviews
The Temper Trap -

There has been a trickle of Australian bands coming through to Britain over recent
years such as: The Vines, Youth Group and Wolfmother. No doubt there are more
which have fallen below my radar or I have forgotten about, but one band which
grabbed my attention was The Temper Trap. I bought this album in December 2009 after hearing, `Sweet Disposition' on MTV2. At the same time I bought the White lies debut album and I have to say I listened to TTT once, thought it was ok but it didnt really leap out at me. White lies on the other hand, I listened to, non-stop for the next 2 months. Then I went back to TTT, to see if I had missed anything. Listen by listen,this album grew and grew on me and continues to grow, to this day.

The Temper Trap have these deep grooves to give their songs a dance feel but at
the same time have this chilled out vibe that you can totally get lost in. It is just a totally refreshing sound and I can see why they are one of the most talked about acts right now. Furthermore, `Conditions' is a solid debut album with the only weak track being track 7 `Fools'. Well I call it weak but I think the real reason it is weak is what came before it. If `Fools' was anywhere else it would probably sound a lot better. The problem is `Fader' the sixth track is absolutely awesome and although the benchmark is set pretty high for the rest of the album, this track cranks it up another notch. Maybe another reason for the weak sounding seventh track is that there is such a difference in tempo between the two tracks; Fader being really upbeat and Fools being more downbeat. I think Fader would be better as a closing track or it would benefit from being followed up by a more upbeat song than Fools, so you are not having such a big drop in tempo.

The rest of the album works though in terms of tempo changing from song to song.
`Down River' is one of my favourite tracks as it just feels like Dougie Mandagi's vocals are less pure than the other songs, making it more fun, as it feels like he is just letting himself go. Particular highlight is when he starts singing, `Don't stop, go, go'. As a runner this is a great motivational track to have in your head as I cruise along the streets.

This is followed up by what I like to call a "build up track". `Solider on' starts off slow and gradually increases in pace but has points where the pace is maintained before building to the next level and at the end of the song climax in a great instrumental burst.

I know I said earlier about Mandagi's vocals mainly being quite pure for most of the album and really with only really letting go on `Down River'. This was not meant to sound like a criticism as the style of vocal suited `Down River', and the pure vocals suit the rest of the tracks. What I mean by pure is that the vocals are crisp and uses his extensive vocal range across the album. Most of the vocals are delivered in such a high pitch for a guy that most people guys singing along to this would lose their voice just attempting to sing just one track at this pitch. However it just seems natural to Dougie.

I also mentioned that `Fader' would make a better closing track but more because
nothing would have to follow it rather than its suitability as a closing track. The actual closing tracks on the other hand. `Science of Fear' and `Drum Song', fit the bill perfectly. Most bands put their worst tracks towards the end of an album but such is the strength of this album, TTT can carry the standard right through to the end. `Science of Fear' is another party song, sing-along, oozing quality. Much like `Drum Song' without the sing-along bit! As this is the instrumental track on the album and closer. I always see it as sign of a good band if they can make a good track without vocals carrying it, as it shows the band's talent and that they can make a good tune. As naturally I think people focus on the lyrics as most songs are dominated by singing especially shorter tracks and then only focus on the other instruments when there is a break in the singing. So by having a fully instrumental track you are concentrating completely on the instruments, so it has to be good!

Overall if you want some music to dance about to in a chilled out way; `Conditions' is the album for you. It is a refreshing, upbeat and complete piece of work. The unique sound will set them apart from anything that is out there at the moment and their infamous live set is one I am eager to have had the pleasure of listening to. If you are(Temper) trapped for a long time, you might as well have The Temper Trap on the ipod as it will take you a long time to get bored of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 14 Sep 2009
G. Kyrke-Smith (Exeter, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Conditions (Audio CD)
I'll keep it short...one of the best albums I've heard in 2009!
A beautiful and sometimes haunting sound that you just won't be able to get enough of. From Fader through to Soldier On and the wonderful Sweet Disposition, this album is pure quality

4.0 out of 5 stars Anger abaited, 8 Feb 2010
J. Lawrence (Leamington, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Conditions (Audio CD)
When I first heard this I was slightly miffed. It felt slightly coldplay lite in places especially the first track. But as an album it emerges over several listens and the songs start to fall into place. Sweet Disposition is the standout - beautiful, lilting Buckleyesque melody over a Pink Floydian landscape. This feels like a stepping stone on the way to greatness.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not sure If Its a passing phase, 8 Jan 2011
Lucioperca (Norwich, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Conditions (MP3 Download)
I came to this band as a result of the Center Parcs Tv advert ... I spent a while on YouTube trying to find out what the music was and it turned out to be Sweet Disposition ....possibly the catchiest track I have heard in a couple of years. So I listened to the album and in a way it reminds me of Melody AM by Royksopp ... not in sound but in the way that it is refreshingly different. Having heard it a few times I have to say I do like it .... will Temper Trap fade from my buying habits like Royksopp have? Only time will tell but this is a pretty good album from a band that seems prepared to do its own thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Easy-Listening, Several Standout Songs - Excellent Reproduction, 6 Dec 2010
This review is from: Conditions (Audio CD)
Yet another CD I have bought on the strength of hearing the music on the soundtrack to a film, this album presents the music/vocals with great clarity. 'The Temper Trap' are an Australian band and considering that this is their debut issue it shows they are already quite accomplished artists with great promise.

Having heard the song 'Sweet Disposition' in the film '300 Days of Summer' (a poor film, notable only for exposing me to some decent music !) I was encouraged to investigate - the highlight of that song for me being the distinctive and really quite striking Falsetto singing voice of the lead vocalist. Not all of the songs on this album feature that precise style of singing, so things don't get 'mundane' and anyway there is enough variation in the melodies on offer to help prevent that happening. The instrumental work is skilful and often quite prominent - this album does not rely on the lead singer alone....

Whilst aside from 'Sweet Disposition' I couldn't really say any the titles themselves of any of the other songs remain in my memory but the music does; things open strongly with 'Love Lost' before the pace quickens into 'Rest' before that false climax of 'Sweet Disposition'. I would say quite a lot of thought has gone into the playing-order of the songs, as there is a definite quickening of tempo as things progress along with the vocals becoming more integrated with the instrumentals, rather then being at the forefront as in the first few tracks (which are the ones I prefer).

If you have heard something of the 'The Temper Trap' then this CD is well worth getting. If you enjoy good quality vocals with rhythmical melodies and haven't heard this group before then I suggest you audition the samples on offer by Amazon; if you like what you hear then, again, buy the CD - it promises some very enjoyable easy-listening with several standout songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best 2009 has to offer, 8 Feb 2010
J. Mercer (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Conditions (MP3 Download)
From start to finish this album is amazing. As other reviews say, yes the first 3 songs are possibly the best on the album, but the rest of the album has so much more to offer on top of that. "Down river" has a mesmerizing drum line from start to finish, "Fader" is the ultimate driving song that gives you a lift like no other on the album, "Fools" is a more mellow sound from start of the album but this song is where Dougy's voice really shines. And these are just a few of the great tracks, not forgetting "love lost" and "sweet disposition" of course.

This is Definately one of my favourite albums from 2009, alongside Mumford and sons moving album Sigh no more, and The Airborne toxic event's self-titled debut album. If you considering buying this album, go for it, give it a try! I don't think you'll be disapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dont miss this one, 2 Oct 2009
This review is from: Conditions (Audio CD)
If you only buy one album this year make sure it is this one. I bought this album after hearing sweet disposition and i absolutly love it. There is an odd week track but most of it is stunning. I cant wait to see what they do next.

4.0 out of 5 stars Conditions, 17 Oct 2009
D. CLARKSON "Davie C" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Conditions (Audio CD)
It's a shame this band is being compared to Coldplay, because the Temper Trap differ in the way that they don't make me want to gouge my eyes out. Perhaps a rare band in the genre of soft-indie-pop-rock-whatever you call it these days, the Temper Trap don't particularly offer something different and unique, they have done something far more important and made a likeable album. Far too often in this genre we hear the same thing again and again, and it's dull, and heartless. "Conditions" just manages to break away from the mould, and there are a handful of songs that you just might listen to sometime next year, rather than forgetting about the band entirely.

The highlight is "Sweet Disposition" which is probably the reason why most of us will buy the album. Nothing else comes close to this, but there is a consistency throughout the album, the band has a very good chemistry, and there is enough there to keep you listening. Other standout songs being "Love Lost", "Soldier On", and "Science of Fear".

All in all, this isn't anything groundbreaking, but the Temper Trap are still one of the best new bands to emerge this year, and "Conditions" is not simply another disposable indie album that we'll forget about next month.

Conditions