5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the DS Range Yet!
I've upgraded to the Nintendo DSi XL from a plain ol' White Lite unit, and I could not be more happier if it made the coffee. The XL is a beautiful bit of kit, perfect for young and old alike (I'm only just pushing 21 and I love the idea of a bigger console). Regarding portability issues, if you're someone who only uses their DS at home or sports a backpack/handbag...
Published on 7 Mar 2010 by Becca

3.0 out of 5 stars Do your research before buying
This is a lovely bit of new kit, with all the features described in the other reviews. I bought one on release day, and discovered that the unit had a yellow-ish tint to the lower screen. Unhappy, I returned and swapped the unit, only to find the replacement did too. This is not a viewing angle issue - the top screen is pearly white straight out of the box, and the lower...
Published on 8 Mar 2010 by J Kilby

‹ Previous | 1 2 334 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Takes time to get used to.., 16 Mar 2010
A. Reynolds - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
At first I was really put off by how much more pixelated everything seemed to be, I even packed it up ready to take back to the shop. But then I played a game on it for about 15 minutes then went back to my DS Lite and wow the difference! the DS Lite although clearer seemed so much smaller.

Overall I have decided to stick with the DSi XL - the screen size really is so much bigger! and I also found my thumb wasn't hurting so much after playing Mario so thats a plus too, and as I had a DS Lite before all the novelty things like camera, internet, option to download games is all fun and exciting at the moment.

I am happy with my purchase although I would say it takes a bit of getting used to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compared to DS Lite, DSi and DSi XL, 4 Dec 2010
Marco Rossini "Marco" (England, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
There are enough reviews available here, so I'd just like to add a couple of points about the DSi (and DSi XL) compared to DS Lite, as I'm sure some people are wondering which one they should buy.

Some of the most noticeable improvements from DS Lite to DSi are: (1) DSi has a camera, which you can use as a digital camera (with two lenses with 300,000 (or 0.3 mega) pixels), although compared to modern digital cameras there are much less pixels; (2) the DS (dual-screen) sizes have increased from 3-inches to 3.25-inches; (3) there is an SD memory slot, and (4) the sound quality has improved a lot, which is very important to me!

The DSi XL's functions are more or less the same as the original DSi, but the most obvious difference is that the two displays' sizes are much larger than the DSi, i.e. 4.2-inches which is almost twice as large as the original DSi. So if you'd like to find the latest Nintendo DS, the choice would be either the DSi with a compact size or the DSi XL, and if you prefer the large displays, the XL would be your choice although that means it would cost about £40-50 more.

*Also, the wine red colour might be a good choice for adult users, especially ladies, as compared to the white or the blue ones, it'd be 'less obvious' when you need to 'use' it in your office, because your colleagues might think you're just checking your schedule in your Blackberry?! \(^0^;)/

Hope this helps!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 27 Nov 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought the Nintendo to keep my grandson busy after I collected him from school - but I had to have a go first. I'm trying very hard to keep up with new technology so I saw this as a challenge.
What an amazing little instrument! My grandson is five years old and was wide-eyed when we used the face and voice changing technology and, since I bought a 'Mario' game I struggle to take the Nintendo away from him.

However, I was most surprised at my own discovery.
I half guessed I wouldn't like the brain-training as I've never particularly liked puzzles or quiz shows ..... and I was right, I don't like the brain-training.
What next - would it all be wasted on me?
I had no idea what games I might like to play as I'd never played one so I thought I'd put a toe in the water - I bought 'Hotel Dusk'.
And my life changed!!!!!
I couldn't put the thing down!
It's a bit like when you find a new author whose book you love and you realise they've written many more and that you have months of delight in store.
The up-shot is that this little device has changed my leisure time and is costing me a fortune in new games!

I recommend it absolutely to anyone as its appeal must be across all age groups.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's great, but has some niggles..., 10 Mar 2010
A. Croft (Preston, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I have just used some birthday money to upgrade from my DS lite to this and I have to say I am very, very impressed! There are so many more features but the main reason I upgraded was for the screens. I was finding it really hard to play for any length of time with the smaller screens but this little (erm, well maybe not so little) gem is amazing. The screens are bright and give your DS games a new lease of life. I have not noticed any pixilation as some have reported, just massive, easy to see and play versions of all my favourite games.

For anyone with a DSI, it's worth upgrading just for the screens alone in my opinion. Note that they are the only difference between last years DSI and this years XL. All other features (cams etc) are the same. For those with a Phat or Lite, it's a must buy! I will admit that it is not as portable as it's smaller cousins but that is not a problem for me as I only use my DS at home. Anyone wanting to pop this in a pocket will need BIG pockets!

Overall though, for me, this has been a great decision and I am now enjoying my DS games much more than I ever have. I highly recommend buying it, you won't regret it!

Edit: The above review was written the day I bought it. Since then, the hinge has worked loose so that the top screen waggles about and I have had 6 instances where my games have stopped working. After turning the console off and back on again, the game cart was not being recognised and had to be taken out and put back in several times before it would read it. This has happened with 3 different games so it's not a cart issue and they work fine on my nephew's DS lite. I'm taking it back to store to get an exchange - though I'm not sure I'll get another XL, might swap for a DSi. It's still an amazing console though despite this - there are always bugs to iron out when new hardware is released.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow-technology, 7 Mar 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I really feel this is state of the art for the money. Dual screen, dual camera, built in software. Screens 93% bigger, longer battery life. If you own a DS lite at the moment this could mean so much more to you.

Nintendo have always been at the forefront of gaming, now they are at the forefront of "interaction", gaming or otherwise. This machine obviously may be more than just a gaming machine, but I got mine because, being closer to 40 years old than 30, the larger screens are very important. I want to play games with greater clarity; the fact that it has photographic abilities, a fabulous dictionary, and greater memory, greater battery life and general functionality are all a marvellous bonus.

Highly recommended - a truly wonderful machine. I do not have an iPhone, but do not feel I need one. I have a 2 year old phone, a 3 year old laptop, and now have a DSi XL. I have everything one could need in terms of travel gadgets, and those that have better phones and newer laptops, but without a DS let alone a DSi XL are far worse off. I feel proud to have been part of the Nintendo community since the SNES days. I missed and still miss the SNES which is where initially the GBA and eventually the DS came in. Having bought a DS for myself, succesfully recommended others older tham myself buy one, and also bought one one for Christmas for my mum, I thought it could not be bettered. Once I read about larger screens on their way I was smitten, for reasons of eye sight as much as anything.

The fact that those nearing 40 can get benefit from such a device and those a generation older can equally play them every day speaks volumes for the DS family; Nintendo deserve a lot of credit for realising that there are as many older fans of their devices as there are younger. Well done Nintendo!

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant new size dsi xl, 12 Oct 2010
T. Martin (u.k.) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Nintendo Handheld Console DSi XL - Blue (Video Game)
brilliant new size and bought in advance for xmas present. great colours although couldnt decide between blue, yellow or green very easily, however went for blue. as usual very speedy delivery and ordered smashing blue nintendo case with accessories and screen cover so have the complete package.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great For The Kids And You!, 18 Oct 2010
Mrs. S. Saqib (rotherham, home of the chuckle brothers) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I am very much an avid nintendo fan, i still have my snes plugged into the tv!

i have previously owned a ds lite, and found it an amazing companion for me and the kids. it was nearing the end of its life when i decided to upgrade, and i havn't been happier!

A lot of people complain that the image looks stretched and nonsense like that, but i can safely say it doesn't at all with ALL of my DS titles.

plus, i can use the inbuilt browser while im at mcdonalds ( yeas im very greedy ) to check out the news and such.

the dsi store is better then the apple app store, because despite not having as many apps and games, the ratio of good ones to bad ones is aroun 9:1, whearas on the app store it is 1:100. no, i havn't tested those figures but they are about right.

i love pokemon, and so do the kids, which is why i got a yellow one. they pretty much do the same thing though.

RECOMMENDED GAME : Pokemon Heartgold - Its a good game, and what better to put in a YELLOW DSi?

5.0 out of 5 stars Compared to DS Lite, DSi XL and DSi, 4 Dec 2010
Marco Rossini "Marco" (England, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
There are enough reviews available here, so I'd just like to add a couple of points about the DSi compared to DS Lite & DSi XL, as I'm sure some people must be wondering which one they should choose.

Some of the most noticeable improvements from DS Lite to DSi are: (1) DSi has a camera, which you can use as a digital camera (with two lenses with 300,000 (0.3 mega) pixels), although compared to modern digital cameras there are much less pixels; (2) the DS (dual-screen) sizes have increased from 3-inches to 3.25-inches; (3) there is an SD memory slot, and (4) the sound quality has improved a lot, which is very important to me!

The DSi XL's functions are more or less the same as DSi, but the most obvious difference is that the two monitors' sizes are much larger than the DSi, i.e. 4.2-inches which is almost twice as large as the original DSi. So if you'd like to find the latest Nintendo DS, the choice would be either the DSi or the DSi XL, and if you prefer the large displays, the XL would be your choice although the cost would be about £40-50 higher.

*Also, the dark brown colour might be a good choice for adult users, as compared to the white or the blue ones, it'd be 'less obvious' when you need to 'use' it in your office, because your colleagues might think you're just checking your schedule in your Blackberry?!

Hope this helps!

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant product, 28 Nov 2010
Mr. D. J. Denton (UK) - See all my reviews
product purchased for my 5 year old grnadson so unable to comment on it personally, I do know however, that it has hardly been put down since he received it and it has provided endless hours of stimulation and fun for him.

5.0 out of 5 stars DSi XL, 1 May 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this for my wife because i got sick of losing my DSi (the normal 1) but i must admit she plays it like everyday the bigger size is much more comfortable to hold and use i would part exchange my DSi for the DSi-Xl but! because i have bought so many screen protectors for my DSi and case i would have to buy them all over again ...

BUT! seriously the DSi-XL is a gr8 fun console to have plus it comes with the web browser and a few more things all ready installed it is 1 gr8 product

Paul Burgess

‹ Previous | 1 2 334 | Next ›

Nintendo Handheld Console DSi XL - Blue
Nintendo Handheld Console DSi XL - Blue by Nintendo (Nintendo DS)
Used & New from: £39.99