4.0 out of 5 stars Possibly their best album yet, 14 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Shaka Rock (Audio CD)
Jet's third studio album has been a long time in coming and we're beginning to see a pattern. 2003 Get Born. 2006 Shine On. 2009 Shaka Rock. Now, if I have to wait till 2012 for more Jet, then I'm not going to be happy!

Shaka Rock is a departure from the "Old Man Rock" direction of Shine On in that they revert to a more middle ground between that, and their exciting debut album Get On. What we have here is less of the slow ballads and more of the romping rock that we know and love. Things aren't as over-produced either, and some of that raw energy once again flows through. Also, unlike both previous outings, the album flows better. What we have here is a band wanting to perfect their record and it's all the better for it.

Whilst progression isn't vastly forthcoming, Jet has experimented with a few new sounds - particularly `Beat on Repeat' and `Seventeen'. Whilst neither of these are highlights of the album, they're not unwanted either. Overall the album is a success and will stay routed in your CD or MP3 player for weeks to come. Overall 8/10.

01. K.I.A. (Killed In Action): Whilst a decent start to the album, it suffers from needing repeat playing as it sounded very mediocre on first listen. I'd have liked to have seen this later on the playlist. 7/10

02. Beat on Repeat: Ok, on first listen you think `What the hell?' But if you can get past the distinct Dance/Rock style with a Drum n' Bass vibe, there is some good stuff here. Sure, it's quite a departure for Jet, but to a degree it works well. With that said, I did find that it gets boring quite quickly, despite its short duration. 6/10

03. She's a Genius: After a disappointing couple of tracks we get to the first single off the album - and one which is eerily reminiscent of 'Are You Gonna Be My Girl', the hugely successful song from their debug album. If this is the only song you've heard so far, it is a strong indication of the quality on offer from album as a whole. 8/10

04. Black Hearts (On Fire): This is Jet at their finest, with a typically raw sounding and catchy chorus. After a worrying start, the album shifted gears with potential single material. 9/10

05. Seventeen: This doesn't sound like a Jet song at all. The fact that it's pretty good shows how they are progressing, albeit in bite-sized chunks! Contrary to over reviews I've read, I felt that this song got repetitive and old too soon. Good, but no cigar. 6/10

06. La Di Da: Easily the most memorable track on my first play through and it still stands out on repeat playing. At its epitome is an extremely catchy chorus and Jet at their very powerful best. To me this highlights how Shaka Rock is more of an amalgamation of both the raw rock sound of Get Born and the warm sound soft rock sound of Shine On. 9/10

07. Goodbye Hollywood: This will undoubtedly be a future single and is probably the strongest track on the album. Stick it on repeat and you'll be screeching along to this at every opportunity. 10/10

08. Walk: One of the weaker tracks on the album. There's nothing terrible about it other than being unremarkable and easily forgettable. 6/10

09. Times Like This: Now this is a great anthem. Whilst Jet have never been lyrically distinguished, songs like this show a remarked improvement. It builds into a right stormer too, and is the start to very a strong ending to the album. 8/10

10. Let Me Out: Heavily influenced and hugely commercial and none the worse for it either. You'll be singing along to this song in the car for weeks to come. Fabulous stuff indeed. 9/10

11. Start the Show: An aggressive rock track with bundles of energy and some rollicking rock riffs. This should definitely have been the opening track to the album. 8/10.

12. She Holds a Grudge: The only ballad on the disc and it's a complete cracker. Vocally, this is brilliant and one of my favourite Jet songs. "Once in my life I'm gonna say sorry before I die. Baby I'm sorry, so sorry, I apologise. Babe when I hold you then you will know you're my woman." Superb. Even the funky Beatles-esque mid section isn't out of place. One thing Jet always does is end an album well. 10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars jet to the top, 24 Aug. 2010
K. Bell - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shaka Rock (Audio CD)
This albu like the previous 2 is simply brilliant. Every song is brilliant after the first listen. This band doesnt get the recognition they deserve. If you need some new tunes go with any Jet album they ooze the good stuff

5.0 out of 5 stars Not every songs a winner, 3 Jan. 2010
K. E. Farr (Cotsworld, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shaka Rock (Audio CD)
Having brought all of Jet's previous albums and after seeing them performing at V I quickly preordered this album unfortunately, in my opinion there is only one song which lives up their hits of the past; 'She's a Genius' takes me back to 'Cold Hard Bitch' and 'Are you gonna by my girl?' and is fantastic and you can't help but dance along. Sadly the other songs are touching on ballards and similar to their second album I don't think there are enough songs where they are at their best.

Good album but not their best!

5.0 out of 5 stars Shaka Rock, 6 May 2013
This review is from: JET-SHAKA ROCK (Audio CD)
Great price, great service, package arrived well in time. Also the original CD case had a crack in it so in the package I was supplied with a replacement CD case too! Absolutely brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Rock ..., 4 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Shaka Rock (Audio CD)
Although at the wrong end of my 60's, I was introduced to 'Jet' by my son - I became a Jet fan straight away, and absolutely love their rock music - a 'MUST BUY' ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy., 26 April 2010
Mr. Simon O'riordan "voluntary33" (Dorset England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shaka Rock (MP3 Download)
Whenever Jet releases a new album, it's a no-brainer to sit right down and buy it.
Reliable rock that I slip into like a glove.

5.0 out of 5 stars J E T, 6 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Shaka Rock (Audio CD)
Bought for husbands Xmas stocking! Replacing c.ds the kids have scratched...
Great price very happy

so sad they split

5.0 out of 5 stars Top album!!, 2 Oct. 2009
Mr. B. R. Gaston "Gastonio" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shaka Rock (Audio CD)
Brilliant album! you can listen to it pretty much every song and enjoy each, if this album gets the publicity it deserves it can make a huge impact on many people

Shaka Rock
Shaka Rock by Jet (Audio CD - 2009)