Xx

4.0 out of 5 stars This is different!
Published on 30 Nov 2009 by I'mdowntheshed!

2.0 out of 5 stars Chill out music done on guitars??? Not as good as it sounds!
I thought variety was supposed to be the spice of life? Not to this London lot. I bought this album after hearing their chilled out dark, indie-pop on some late night TV show and thought I had seen the future of guitar music.
Published on 29 April 2010 by theone&only

4.0 out of 5 stars This is different!, 30 Nov 2009
This review is from: xx (Digipack) (Audio CD)
Well I'm 51 and still appreciate all genres of modern music, and I really like this album. I first saw and heard The XX on 'Later with Jools Holland' and their atmospheric music just leapt out of the TV at me. Next day, after checking out more of their tracks on You Tube I bought the album. I really like this music for its innovative and fresh feel. Yes okay it's simple and laid back (brilliant music to relax by), but it's a completely new and different sound, and that's the genius of it. I hope their recent tour supporting Florence and The Machine gives them the extra exposure they richly deserve.

4.0 out of 5 stars Seriously Good, 28 Aug 2009
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Scatty and Gritz (the cubs) brought this one home
from school and have been playing nothing else over
the past week. They've dumped their hoodies (it was
red bandanas before that!) and reverted to basic black.
They also seem to be reading Schopenhauer again
- their Mother's influence not mine I hasten to add.
I seem to have found something to like in this music too.

The xx are a somewhat po-faced but very talented
little combo from South London. This debut collection
of 11 compositions is relentlessly and uncompromisingly
single-minded in its sustained intensity.
It's hard to imagine them sitting around together
drinking cider and watching Father Ted re-runs.
This is much more Jacques Brel and absinthe territory !

Seriousness becomes them.

The combined vocal contributions of Ms Croft and
Mr Sim create a charmingly laconic ambience.
There is a total absence of frenzy. In fact nothing
much happens throughout in the nicest possible way.

'Infinity' is a splendid composition. The closest
thing to a climax in the entire project.
The spirit of Hank Marvin might well be smiling in the wings.

'Night Time' is a marvelously morose little ditty
and for my money its starkly economical, pared-down,
minimalism is the album's gloomy highlight.

Jamie Smith's beats and Baria Qureshi's well-judged
keyboard interventions are entirely complementary to
the centrally positioned Croft/Sim double-act.

Concluding track 'Stars' made me remember acutely
what it was like to be young and intense and delirious
with dark and serious dreams.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Total Immersion from the word go., 12 Aug 2010
This review is from: xx (Digipack) (Audio CD)
Now this is a rare gem. As opposed to alot of the mainstream generic sound we listen to; which even though I do love and appreciate. It does get a little lifeless and just plain bland. This is so refreshing as it requires you to engage with it just like you would with a good book or film. The bold elusivness of the case alone just encourages you to interprete it as you will. Every song sounds individual and flowed like individual stories to me. The album was sort of like a journey that you embark on. Sort of shaped to your narrative. Its powerful and atmospheric. Like "Fantasy" in particular is just deep, dark and foreboding. Ultimatley I just feel the album is an intense emotionally charged ride but at the same time equally; you can just kick back to it and relax. I would recommended it to anyone who is looking for a unique experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 July 2014
This review is from: XX (Audio CD)
Excellent

4.0 out of 5 stars Both albums are good but for me Coexist is the better album, 1 July 2014
This review is from: XX (Audio CD)
4 tracks featured on BBC Concert as did 4 tracks from the album Coexist that followed. Both albums are good but for me Coexist is the better album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, mellow tunes!, 1 Jun 2014
This review is from: xx (Digipack) (Audio CD)
Excellent album. Lovely sounding duo. If any criticism, the album's a bit "samey", but quality stuff. Great if wanting mellow, reflective, modern songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Headphone Candy, 3 Sep 2009
AK-87 (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: xx (Digipack) (Audio CD)
This album is perfect commuter escapism. There are only about one or two albums a year which I can just listen to over and over again and this is my 2009 record. This is just one of those albums which just sounds better through headphones on the move. I wouldn't go as far as saying that this album can be grouped in the chill out genre but it is fantastically peaceful.

This time last year I was addicted to Burial's 'Untrue' and I can honestly say that if you enjoyed that record for its ability to make you lose yourself in its minimal and haunting sound, you'll love 'xx'. Interestingly, this young group met at the same London school which was attended by Hot Chip, Four Tet and Burial himself. The female and male vocalist harmonise and complement each other superbly on every track but, for me, stand outs are 'VCR', 'Basic Space' and the recent iTunes single of the week, 'Crystalised'. The smooth female vocals make me imagine a beautiful love child of Bjork and Zero 7's Sia Furler (you can decide whether you think that is a good combination or not!)The bassist creates a ghostly but melodic rhythm which features throughout which reminds me of Massive Attack's 'Danny The Dog'. What really impresses me is the way the group have maintained a constant and original sound without feeling the need to throw in a few tracks to change the mood. Some may dismiss this album as monotonous but the whole thing works for them and it flows as if it could be a film score much like Burial's 'Untrue'.

If you are looking for a refreshing change to the chart topping indie groups and wish to support genuine young British talent you should BUY this album. You will not be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kind of like a pared down Lamb?, 3 Dec 2009
This review is from: xx (Digipack) (Audio CD)
I've been listening to this album since Rob da Bank kept banging on about how good they were. They're definitely one of the more alluring sounds I've heard in 2009 - kind of like a stripped back Lamb with a bit of Hot Chip in there, maybe a smidge of Bat for Lashes too? All quite minimal, breathless, lingering - its low-fi, shoe-gaze music, appropriate for sultry late night liaisons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing! Gets more addictive the more you listen to it, 18 Aug 2010
This review is from: xx (Digipack) (Audio CD)
I had heard so much about the XX but not yet given the music a listen, being a pessimist I tend to expect that the rave reviews are from the too cool for school kids and being 30 now tends to mean I don't get it all any more :D... then I heard Crystalised on the radio and got hooked!! Took the plunge and bought the album from amazon as it was about [...] when i got it so no risk there! Took about 3 or so listens which is about what a great album should take, 1 then its too easy (mainstream pop) and you'll get bored easily, it will be on the pile in no time. This is one you need to hear late at night on a drive, collapsed out on your bed in the dark in some good headphones so you get every whispered lyric, hear every bass note that throbs, every tingling guitar note. Seriously from start to finish its amazing and I don't think I have heard a more perfect album in maybe 5 years. Can't recommend it enough, actually don't want to go into more detail than that. Music is about discovering an album in different scenarios. Sometimes you can hear an album one day when you are in the wrong mood and you put it aside and 4 months or a year later you find it again and put it on and its the most perfect album you've ever heard. Don't wait that long, stick it on, but make sure you hear it in it's entirety and then again and again..

References are obvious with new order, the cure and some eighties electronic bands that you never thought you would hear sound so fresh today. Which I always loved, but don't be put off if you don't like those, if you liked crystalised by the XX you will love the rest of the album. P.S try XX's mix of you've got the love (florence version) it's amazing, stripped back and gorgeous! But i can't find it on amazon sadly. Thank you XX :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Chill out music done on guitars??? Not as good as it sounds!, 29 April 2010
theone&only (March, Cambs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: xx (Digipack) (Audio CD)
On buying the album I was a little disappointed to find the album to be very one-dimensional. 'Intro' and 'VCR' start things well but as song after song, sung in the same dull monotone, continue things begin to blur into one. By the time we get to single 'Basic Space' I was feeling suicidal to be honest! There are some good points - the beats are sublime and well produced as are the exquisite basslines.

I have listened to this record maybe 15 times now and am still as bored. Once you get past the NME hype you realise that this is just yet more dark, dreary, guitar ploddery posing itself as intelligent mood music. Listen and see what I mean - every song is at the same slow tempo pretty much, both singers ranges seem to encompass about 4 notes and the songwriting skills need plenty more development. Here's hoping they find it because the dynamic of the band is there. More variety next time please !!

Xx