Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 September 2007
I never quite know what to say when trying to explain José Gonzáles because he is one of those rare musicians who does not try to add little hooks and intracacies to their music. Instead what you hear on this album is what you hear on the last (Veneer) a beautiful, elegant guitar line with a double layer of vocals. You could infact convince me that In Our Nature is Veneer's older more mature brother. The lyrics are certainly more focused and thoughtful, and somehow seem more passionate, though how I could not say.

As with the debut there is also one perfectly picked cover. This time Jose has gone for a trip-hop classic in the form of 'Teardrop' and has created a beautiful alternate version for the song. The members of Massive Attack can sleep safe knowing that one of their masterpieces has been delicately and successfully reworked.

Overall José is doing what he does best and making the most charming, elegant and heartfelt music that you can find at the moment. I dare you not to smile when you listen to this.
on 29 September 2007
Well I guess I wasn't alone in the universe in being absolutely besotted with 'Veneer'. I'm not at all musical myself, so I couldn't pin down what it was that made me fall so hopelessly in love with songs like 'Heartbeats' and 'Crosses' to mention but a few, but it's an album that I will never tire of listening to. So I bought this album with very high expectations, particularly having heard the single 'Down the Line'. After a couple of listens, it's still - for me - the standout track of the album. The rest of the album is still stunningly beautiful, and I agree that there's a real sense of maturity about the lyrics, but at this moment in time I haven't quite fallen in love with it . . . yet. 'Veneer' is, in my opinion, still the superior album but by no means does that mean that you needn't buy this. It's beautiful, calming, and I'm sure it will mould itself a place in my heart - and yours - in the very near future.
on 24 September 2007
Wow, just got this after reading a glowing sunday times review, and I have to say was not disapointed! Such a simple yet beautiful album. Jose's guitar playing is as effortlessly brilliant as on Veneer. Lyrically very deep without being overwrought, I can see this getting better and better with every listen, without doubt, a future classic..
VINE VOICEon 27 November 2007
I've read reviews claiming "In Our Nature" is merely "Veneer Part 2" and sees Gonzalez re-hashing a winning formula. I feel these accusations are a little unjust. "Veneer" showcased such a wonderfully unique singer/songwriter sound that it would be hard and pointlessly dangerous to move too far adrift. Unfortunately the classic sophomore criticism is apparent thanks to this inimitable style; grand expectations of something new and better become rife. I feel that while the overall sound is undeniably similar, the album is in no way the same. It touches on different subjects and evokes new moods and atmospheres.

"In Our Nature" is another superb album from José Gonzalez, continuing his sound and style, but addressing new problems and forging new atmospheres and moods. It contains a number of songs which I feel to be his best work to date, such as the pinnacle "Teardrop", the striking "Fold" and the powerful climax of "Cycling Trivialities". Take this for what it is, not some wild new direction. Enjoy it!
on 8 October 2007
It's such a shame that people only seem to know Jose Gonzalez for his covers (most notably the omnipresent "Heartbeats"). He's an immensely talented musician and songwriter in his own right, as this record shows. It's beautiful, complex and captivating after just a few listens. Stand out tracks have to be the single "Down The Line" and the dark, heartbreaking "The Nest". Overall, an achingly beatiful record which shows that Jose Gonzalez is destined for greatness.
This is another top album from Jose Gonzalez. It is very much in the same vein as veneer, which is no bad thing, and like that album it gets better with repeated listening. It doesn't have quite as much impact as veneer but you still get his rhythmic, almost percussive, guitar playing and his superb vocals layered over the top. Some songs hits you at once, like the album closer 'cycling trivialities', whilst others grow on you. I agree that the lyrics seem a touch more mature, but they weren't that bad on veneer anyway! Overall another great album from Jose to put on and drift away to.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
on 7 June 2013
Nice easy listening album. Great to listen to on a sunny day, kicking back with a beer in the garden or equally on a Winters night in front of the fire with a glass of red in your hand. I'm no music critic but I know what I like and this is it. I'd recommend it but give it a listen before you buy. The joys of the modern world!
on 22 May 2012
I bought the first Jose Gonzalez album and was totally mesmerised by the flow of the acoustics and the distinct sound of all the tracks. This album is really good and a great follow on but somewhere it just lacks the distinct sound of the first. However, I've still enjoyed it and don't doubt that it will grow on me in time.
on 29 August 2009
Jose Gonzalez is a competant and quite likeable musician. However (as other reviewers have pointed out) I believe he does pretty much rip off Mark Kozelek's beautiful and much more accomplished work.

I wouldn't dream of 'dissing' Gonzalez as he is clearly a talent, but would merely like to point his fans in the direction of the work of Mark Kozelek, and his music with his bands 'Sun Kil Moon', and 'Red House Painters'. If you take me up on this tip then I hope you enjoy the journey as much as I have and continue to do...
on 14 September 2013
I bought this as a present for my mum-she loves it! It's great value (under £3!) and is in a proper CD case not one of those cardboard ones!