5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!
If you are considering buying this album because you've heard his singles I'm Not Alone, Dance Wiv Me and Ready For The Weekend and liked them, you should definitely buy this because the rest of the album is just as good, if not better, than those singles! Also, if you like his older songs, buy Ready For The Weekend - it's his best album by far.
It's very catchy as...
Published on 4 Sep 2009 by Louisa

3.0 out of 5 stars ok......
Calvin isn't a very good singer, but when he sings... I DIG IT! Next time I go to the shops i'm gonna walk to the beat of the songs, but don't think the walk will be as funky as when i did it with the first album.
Published on 11 Sep 2009 by K. Hanson

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 4 Sep 2009
This review is from: Ready For The Weekend (Audio CD)
It's very catchy as per usual for his songs, all the songs are great (there isn't one song on the whole album that I don't like) and the music is so good you'll find yourself humming it all day. Calvin has definitely not let us down (I was waiting for this album to come out ever since I first discovered him!) and I hope any albums he releases in the future will be as good and fun as this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer fabtastic disco dancing dance music!!!, 2 Sep 2009
Kian (Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ready For The Weekend (Audio CD)
After playing this album several times I couldn't help thinking how catching the songs were. Then I suddenly realised it was Calvin Harris, the lyrics are more sophisticated (as dance music goes!) the synthesisers sound more loud, the beats more catchier than his first album. Unlike "I created Disco" which had maybe 2 or 3 decent tracks...this is far superior. This is not a second album screaming to be like the first, its clearly better but it needs to grow on you...then its repeat repeat repeat! (even if its the same track again! again!) ...the first track right through kicks off with lyrics ..."these are the good times in your life so put a smile on your face...." Usually if a album is half decent there are a good half dozen tracks this is sheer certain one of them. Mr Harris has a habit of producing music that is catchy and makes you want to dance and if your like me then go and get yourself a copy! ....Cheers Calvin son!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool as a disco cucumber, 27 Aug 2009
This review is from: Ready For The Weekend (Audio CD)
I've had this CD for a week and its awesome! Been played everyday at work and its a solid fixture on the radio at work. I really liked his 1st album and thought many of his songs were pretty cool. I saw this in Asda for £7 (hope i dont get chucked off amazon for sayin that!) and thought i'd gotta buy it. It is a great CD - the collaboration wiv Dizzee Rascal ,the song from the coca cola AD (yea yea yea la la la) and his singles ready for the weekend, i'm not alone and Flashback. Its an electro mental fused CD. oh yea he uses a sax (i think, on the 1st track) and the start of Blue sounds like a boy band but then goes all electro clash dash n mash. Great CD well worth it

5.0 out of 5 stars Review for the week-end, 17 Aug 2009
This review is from: Ready For The Weekend (Audio CD)
As catchy and as toe-tappingly brilliant as his debut album 'I Created Disco', and with slightly more depth than its predecessor (only slightly more, it is a Calvin Harris album after all) it is certainly worth its price tag. Every track will be lodged into your brain within the first listen. Tracks such as; 'The Rain', the album track 'Ready for the week-end' and 'Stars Come Out', represent classic 'Sonic the Hedgehog' esque Calvin Harris. On the other hand, there are a few tracks on this album with a different flavour, most noteable are 'Worst Day' and '5iliconeator' Perhaps a change of direction for the Dumfries born Harris. But for now I suppose he'll just have to be the fly eyed king of electro-synth pop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Calvin Nails It!, 8 April 2010
This review is from: Ready For The Weekend (Audio CD)
After his debut album: I Created Disco was disliked by reviewers and created little impact, Calvin returned with a whole new pack of killer dance tunes! The Scottish DJ has put everything into this follow-up album and it really pays off!

1. The Rain - 9/10, funky dance tunes mixed with Calvin's voice being 'played-around' with makes this a memorable track.
2. Ready For The Weekend - 9.5/10, not surprised that this was so popular! It mixes Mary Pearce's great vocals with Calvin's fabulous beats.
3. Stars Come Out - 10/10, my personal favourite. It has a great chorus! I'm extremely surprised that it hasn't been released!
4. You Used To Hold Me - 9.5/10, a somewhat emotional track that includes Calvin showing off his vocal ability.
5. Blue - 7.5/10, has some nice beats but just doesn't throw anything at you!
6. I'm Not Alone - 10/10, an absolutely incredible track. I'm not surprised it was number one! Perfect for parties!
7. Flashback - 9.5/10, Calvin clearly put everything into this track. It really is great!
8. Worst Day - 8.5/10, it has a nice chorus but does lack any 'oomph!'
9. Relax - 8.5/10, some nice beats but does not provide any sort of attempt at bringing in some vital lyrics except for: 'Relax!!!!'
10. Limits - 8.5/10, quite peaceful. Sounds like an electronic Temper Trap!
11. Burns Night - 7/10, probably the weakest song but does include a few nice changes of beat!
12. Yeah Yeah Yeah La La La - 9.5/10, a great pick-up after a poor previous song! It has some nice vocals mixed with some fabulous dance beats!
13. Dance Wiv Me (Extended Mix) - 10/10, no denying that Calvin is the star of this song - not Dizzee Rascal! His chorus really brings the song out of it's shell!
14. 5iliconeator - 8/10, this song shows a different side to Calvin with a piano as the base of the song!

So, to summarize this album, I'd say that Calvin barely puts a foot wrong and really has created an absolutely incredible set of tunes for you to dance to! It's perfect party material!

4.0 out of 5 stars Still in a world of Simpletons, 22 Aug 2009
This review is from: Ready For The Weekend (Audio CD)
I absolutely loved it when he dropped his first album. Colours was a song that felt like id waited a lifetime for someone to create. Loved it. I was gutted when this recieved two stars in the paper. Id gone onto everyone about how Calvins career was going to be speacial as it unfolded into his older years....then again I know I shouldn't believe everything I read.

I was genuinely holding it off, ready to be dissapointed. So i was astounded when I put The Rain on for the first time. I was genuinely exstatic. I loved music once again. Put pimples down me arm. I will admit that a handful of songs took a few listenings to grow on me. However I put it down to me playing catch up on an artist that clearly works hard in producing something a bit different to what he did before. And a big well done for doing so.

You should never buy a paper for 20 pence and expect a decent reviewer to comment on such an artist. They obviously have to cut the costs somewhere. It wouldn't surprise me if they'd let a chimp review RFTW.

Stars Come Out, Worst Day, Flashback, The Rain, Blue, Relax and You Used To Hold Me are being played around the clock like music had only just been invented. I love this man. (Not in a gay way though...lol)

5.0 out of 5 stars an album ready for any day of the week, 3 Nov 2009
This review is from: Ready For The Weekend (Audio CD)
My appetite for fun dance music has met its match with Calvin Harris. Like his first album this serves up some great tunes that don't take themselves to seriously. I'm Not Alone is one of the finest tunes for a good few years. Calvin has a unique sound that on paper shouldn't be that good, poor lylics and a voice that will never win prizes but dispite this his music is just so easy to listen to and gets stuck in your head. The Rain, Flashback and You Used To Hold Me are the other stand out tracks for me. Yes there are a couple of weaker tracks towards the end, Limits, Burns Night and Yeah Yeah Yeah La La La (sounds a bit like Prince - not to my taste) but even very good albums can have this tendency. I await the third album.

3.0 out of 5 stars ok......, 11 Sep 2009

4.0 out of 5 stars A grown up Mr Harris!, 18 Aug 2009
This review is from: Ready For The Weekend (Audio CD)
So, Calvin's new album - a definate improvement on I Created Disco. Its more grown up with a bigger, fuller sounding album.

Calvin's really worked on vocals on this album, he's done a great jobs with his and others vocals. Lots of harmony work and they sound fresh and pure. The 5th Track "Blue" is a prime example of his great work on his vocal harmonies. - lovely.

The album opens up with "The Rain". A feel good summer driving tune which is a brilliant intro and warm up to "Ready for the Weekend", his current radio smash hit which again is a feel good, electrotastic sythtastic song!

On from there almost every track is a sunny head bopping car driving joy. I've listened to the album 3 times now and it grows everytime.

The album in general is a job well done. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes a wide variety of Dance and the electro side of pop.
8/10

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly there, 9 Oct 2009
This review is from: Ready For The Weekend (Audio CD)
This album is a bit of a mixture. The singles that have been released from it and `The Rain' are excellent but a lot of the rest of the album is only ok. I had it in the cd player in my car for quiet a while and a lot of the songs do sound the same after a while, which is a shame.

The rather overused and unnecessary drug taking references that riddle the first album are gone, and all in all a very good album.

Ready For The Weekend [VINYL]
Ready For The Weekend [VINYL] by Calvin Harris (Vinyl - 2009)