5.0 out of 5 stars Loud, energetic but spiritual ... Mahavishnu in full flight, 15 May 2004
Gareth Smyth "Enjilos" (County Mayo, Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Birds Of Fire (Audio CD)
John McLaughlin's five-piece Mahavishnu were really flying when they made 'Birds of Fire', a record that brings together the power of rock with the swing of jazz (Rick Laird had a pure jazz pedigree) and a lightness of lyrical touch that was almost Celtic.
There was a spontaneity and an experimentation about this music that carried on the spirit of Miles' 'Bitches Brew', a record on which McLaughlin made a distinctive contribution and which hinted at so much that was to come.
But 'Birds of Fire' has a coherence to it, as well, that a lot of electric jazz from that time lacked. There was always a huge integrity and effort in what McLaughlin did, even when playing at 120 miles an hour with drummer Billy Cobham powering through and Jan Hamer's electric keyboards slicing through the octaves and the ozone.
Loud, energetic but somehow spiritual music. Blew me away when I heard it in the early 1970s and still gives me the shivers.

5.0 out of 5 stars 35 Years later and it's got better, 27 Aug 2008
John Ferngrove (Hants UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Birds Of Fire (Audio CD)
When it came out in 1973 this was one of those 'never heard anything like it before moments'. I was aware of the previous The Inner Mounting Flame which had felt somewhat bitty and disconected to me (but maybe it's time I gave that another try too), but nothing prepared me for the sheer venomousness of this album. I've ummed and ahhd about reacquiring it for a while, but it arrived yesterday, and as it hit my deck it immediately plastered me to to the opposite wall.

At the time McLaughlin was an anomoly. While everyone else wore jeans and raggy tea-shirts and had hair down on their shoulders, this guy dressed in white and had a crew cut that made him look like a suspiciously friendly marine. In an age where anyone with a brain was 'looking for something' John was considered the archetypal 'spiritual' musician. One of those who'd seemed to have found what the rest of us were 'looking for'. Even then though, there was such a clear contradiction - how does such a spiritual man compose and play such utterly demonic music? It certainly caused me to rethink what the term 'spiritual' might actually mean.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly amazing, 16 Feb 2005
Hedgeman (Newcastle, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birds Of Fire (Audio CD)
This is, in two words, virtuoso musicianship. The ability to just pick a time signature out at random and play it is something only the Mahavishnu Orchestra and Weather Report can do well.
Mc Laughlin's woozy guitar and Cobham's lightning speed drumming are the force behind Birds Of Fire, Mahavishnu's best album. It knocks The Inner Mounting Flame and Inner Worlds for six. As I am only 14, I wasn't around when Mahavishnu were in full flight, but I can imagine the impression this record made.
If you want to try something modern in a similar vein, try "Deloused In The Comatorium" by The Mars Volta. This is an awesome record and they follow a lot of Mahavishnu's playing styles.
So, Birds Of Fire, awesome, five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Weird & Wonderful, 24 Sep 2006
Mr. C. W. Winter "Chris" (Chorleywood) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birds Of Fire (Audio CD)
I came to Birds Of Fire after discovering John McLaughlin on Miles Davis' Bitches Brew - the best record of all time i.m.o.. Initially I thought the music sounded a little dated, but I was soon entranced by the strange rhythms, beautiful melodies and (almost) ludicrous virtuosity of the musicians. After listening to it a couple of times I am hooked - it is a truly breathtaking ride that skips, without a hint of contrivance, between different musical styles (mainly rock and folk) and back again in the blink of an eye. One shouldn't really single out individual musicians in such a brilliant ensemble but McLaughlin has got to be a candidate for the most complete guitarist of all time and Cobham's drumming is so fast, light and inventive as to defy belief.

Buy this record, put any prog rock prejudices you might have on one side, and be astonished by the music.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Mahavishnu Orchestra at its best, 10 Sep 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Birds Of Fire (Audio CD)
'Birds of Fire' was the Mahavishnu Orchestra at its peak. It's more polished than its predecessor, 'The Inner Mounting Flame', while lacking none of that raw, visceral energy. To some ears it will still sound a little rough compared to what has happened since in the fusion area, but there is more than enough heart in it to compensate. It makes so much other fusion music seem, while technically adept, calculated and clinical by comparison. The rapport between the five players is truly remarkable, especially when McLaughlin, Hammer and Goodman trade ever shorter bursts of improvisation, in the manner (though not the style!) of Indian musicians (eg, 'The Word'). If you enjoy instrumental improvisation at the highest level within the big rock sound world, this album is a must-have. It's been remastered very nicely too, so everything is as clear as a bell - or as clear as it can be among all that heavy distortion!

2.0 out of 5 stars Dated and don't understand the hype!, 24 July 2014
This review is from: Birds Of Fire (Audio CD)
Every book on popular music rates this album as a classic and groundbreaking. This maybe so, but in contrast to most of the other reviews on here, I do not like this nor can I recommend it. This slightly befuzzles me since I would generally say I am a pretty good connoiseur of music and talented musicians.

All of the musicians on this album are talented but the juxtaposition of McClaughlin's distorted guitar riffs and the electric violin that characterise this album just doesn''t work for me. It's an experiment that didn't work.

If you wan't a heavy jazz rock fusion, I would recommend Billy Cobham's "Spectrum", which doesn't have consistent quality but I think blends better on the major tracks.

When this came out, I recall not knowing how to describe it: it has very unique elements. But I put it away and actually through the vinyl out. I bought the CD recently thinking I had matured and was more heavily into jazz rock improvisation. Not so alas.

For me this album sounds dated. But I acknowledge that far from being a dinosaur it is an archaeopteryx: a species that was a landmark in the evolution of a whole new type of music.

I suspect that if you weren't there at the time, or are a collector who needs the complete picture, you will be disappointed by this.

Sorry Guys!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sapphire Bullets of Pure Love, 10 Dec 2012
This review is from: Birds Of Fire (Audio CD)
The second album from this excellent band. And a very intense album it is too. Taking the best from harder edge rock and jazz, this album hits the listener between the eyes. But this album also has it's more lyrical, reflective sides.

John McLaughlin leads the assault of the senses, but the rest of the band is also brilliant. Mahavishnu Orchestra and most of what John McLaughlin has done has a lot of Indian culture and music fused into the backbone of the music and not as some feathers borrowed from India as The Beatles and others did. On Birds Of Fire, the Indian connection shines through all the time. In particular in Jerry Goodmann's violin.

The material is high quality throughout and this makes this album one of the better fusion albums out there. And that is my 100 words worth of opinions on an album I really love. The lack of a killer track or two is my only gripe with this album. Besides of that, this is a great album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back in the Day, 21 Jan 2012
This review is from: Birds Of Fire (Audio CD)
This came out when our sixth form common room was filled with the sound of Yes, Strawbs, King Crimson, Uriah Heep, ELO in their experimental days etc etc. Their previous album, Inner Mounting Flame, I didn't get into, nor the later ones - I like to know that the music has some structure or it becomes art for arts sake rather than for the listener. However on this album the guys hit the spot in virtuosity, musicality and improvisation - definitely the best of their work in my opinion as its success seemed to go to their heads later. But for this album - a classic and highly recommended for jazz or rock buffs out there

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than I remember it., 24 Sep 2007
DB "davidbirkett" (Co. Kildare, Ireland (but born & raised Liverpool, UK)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birds Of Fire (Audio CD)
Probably because I'm listening on a much better sound system. The coolest album I have ever heard.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow, just Wow!, 6 April 2013
Pesto Fingeration (Chez Vegas, Englandland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birds Of Fire (Audio CD)
As a callow youth back in the early 70s the Mahavishnu Orchestra just seemed a bit too "Grown Up" or just "Complicated" to me, so I devoted myself to a life of full on METAL.
Now with the full weight of middle age and the loss of weight of the hair on my head I decide to revisit the 'Nu Orch' and like Wow, just Wow! My tiny mind is blown. Who would believe a short haired Yorkshireman in a White suit would be so good? The rest of the Orchestra are no slackers either.

BUY! Or endlessly remain a shallow person.

Birds Of Fire
Birds Of Fire by John McLaughlin (Audio CD - 2010)