1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars ... Funkadelic having sex with Frank Zappa with Tom Waits watching ..., 12 Mar 2011
Mr. H "Mr H" (Embra) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Stand in the Light (MP3 Download)
Blimey! It's been a long time since I bumped into Keven Brennan. Probably because of the surfeit of E's being bandied about, but it's nigh on seven years since I laid ears on "Keven Brennan's Revival Tent" and "God Is A Mighty Gourd". I liked them. Of the former I said, "I always wondered what it would be like to hear Funkadelic having sex with Frank Zappa". Of the latter "Mr Brennan is a major, if bizarre talent, and we should be clutching his output tightly to us muttering "mine, all mine"."

I'm glad to say that time has not withered his talent, as this is another splendid offering. He does seem to have calmed down a bit over the years, as there is more quiet than loud on this offering, but he's still got attitude a-plenty. "Stand In The Light" sees him backed up by the avant-jazz group Kneebody, but that shouldn't scare off anyone who upon seeing the phrase avant-jazz, instinctively reaches for a shotgun.

Mr Brennan himself drops names like Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits and Captain Beefheart, but don't hold that against him, because he's much better than that. He's also a busy fellow, running his own label, producing bands, composing for film and TV, as well as being a bit of an artist, which may be why his solo material has taken a bit of a backseat. Well, he shouldn't let it happen again, as I can't be arsed hanging around another seven years.

He's managed to stay infused with a New Orleans gumbo spirit, despite a slight musical shift, and some of the songs are utterly delightful, with 'Saints Say', 'Blow Your Holy Horn' and 'Letters to the Laundromat' having become instant additions to my most played list. The kind of person that makes you just tired, Mr Brennan says "my day might begin producing show tunes and end jamming with an international improv ensemble. And sometimes in the middle of the night, I paint while listening to conspiracy theories.". More power to him, 'cos we need more folks like that.

Stand in the Light