5.0 out of 5 stars A lost gem!, 10 Jun 2013
Amazon Customer (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Jensen Code - The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
For many years, Ken Loach's classic film 'Kes' has been one of my favourite British movies. I thought that David Bradley was fantastic, and an absolute natural as the central character Billy, but I had never seen him in anything else.

I stumbled across 'The Jensen Code' on YouTube, and I confess, although I am a great fan of television from the past, I had never even heard of this thirteen episode series.

It was first seen on ITV in 1973, and is an unusual children's drama, I am twenty years old - and I absolutely loved it.

The series centers around David Bradley again, as sixteen year old Terry Connor, who is sent to a Outward Bound Centre. Whilst exploring some local caves with his potholing instructor, certain events soon lead Terry to believe that something sinister is taking place. With a secret Ministry of Defence establishment nearby, the boy finds himself unwillingly entering the world of space-age espionage, unable to work out who he can trust, and which places are safe.

For a show aimed at kids, 'The Jensen Code' is very dark, sinister and rather intelligent, it would certainly look out of place today alongside modern children's programmes. The plot is simple enough, but there are so many twists throughout the series to wet the viewer's appetite for the next episode. What I noticed the most was the quality of the acting, David Bradley is fantastic as Terry (I found that he has starred in various other television shows and films, and I plan to see some of them soon), as are the rest of the other familiar faces who appear throughout. The location filming also add a real authenticity to the series, it all looked wonderful.

'The Jensen Code' is one of those little known gems that deserves to have a larger fan base, the fact that this isn't as well known as it should be, does it a great injustice. It has everything, with thirteen episodes, the storyline was allowed to expand, and I couldn't wait to see how it all would play out. It is also very well written, superbly acted out, and is a show that will appeal to people of all ages. It's also a great shame to find out that that the colour episodes were wiped, I would have loved to have seen it as it was originally broadcast, but even in black and white, the show is of such high standard - I'm just grateful to have been able to have seen it at all. It is rare for me to rate a TV show five stars, but in this case, if I could give it more, I would.

All that's left for me to say is a huge thank you to all those wonderful people at Network DVD!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 23 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Jensen Code - The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this series as a boy in 1973 and I was delighted to see it finally issued on DVD in 2010. Watching it all again 37 years later I feel it is still an excellent story, well acted (particularly Dai Bradley the lead character), well staged, and very atmospheric. I feel it definitely merits the description of cult classic and it deserves to be better known.

5.0 out of 5 stars compelling, 10 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Jensen Code - The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
Having never seen this I found it compelling . Could not wait to see how this played out and was surprised with the storyline . Only thing I would say is that the theme tune starts to grate on you after a bit . Good with some continuity errors

5.0 out of 5 stars What a joy to find this, 18 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Jensen Code - The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
What a joy to find this. For years I have been trying to remember the title of a series I used to watch. All I could remember was that it was about pot holing and Brian Croucher was in it. Now I've found it and I'm delighted :). Maybe not classic television but great nostalgia for those who are a certain age.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent retro tv, 3 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Jensen Code - The Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
while being slightly dated and sadly only in b/w apart from parts of episode 6 in the features part its an excellent retro series. its great to see so much acting talent in a series. the story is is simple and keeps you guessing till the end well worth a watch.
a good addition to any collection

The Jensen Code - The Complete Series [DVD]
The Jensen Code - The Complete Series [DVD] by Jonathan Wright Miller (DVD - 2009)