Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 23 December 2009
I bought this on the strength of thier first album which is lovely and this second effort is clearly from the same stock but some how altered. They apparantly did not like the songs they had written for this album once they started recording them and so this album was made not exactly on the hoof but with more collaboration of the whole band and performed 'as if for the first time'. And it does show especially with the beautiful harmonies that just carry nearly every track from the opening 'Topsy's Revenge', it is so atmospheric you hardly notice the instruments in the background, this is a theme I first noticed with the wonderful 'Hem'.

I can not think of one bad track on here, the only criticism is that it is too short. Some of the songs have that wonderful familiarity that I often feel about Richard Hawley (ie; you always seem to think you have heard his stuff before). But of course you have not, a case in point here is'Silver amongst the gold'. It is hard to point to a stand out track as they are all just beautiful, 'Oslo novelist' and 'Dig that crazy grave', I am already looking forward to thier next offering.
on 20 February 2013
I use to think if this band had been performing in the 60/70's, they would now be regarded as Crosby Stills & Nash, The Byrds and the likes...
Both first and second album are incredible. I only wish they were more active.