on 15 January 2011
I bought a number of "Educational toys" this Christmas for my 8yr old and He loved them all, This is a very simple kit that allows Him to grow some Crystals on some card (in the shape of a tree). He did the experiment very quickly and was very pleased with the results, it started growing crystals quite quickly and over 3-4 days it grew thousands of tiny little crystals on it.

If you remember doing the proper crystal experiment at school then these crystals will seem a little weedy and I'm sure you could find a proper science kit that would allow you to do this but as a simple little extra present for an 8yr old this is great (for the price of [...] delivered) and it has the added bonus of showing the basics of the principal which may give a little extra interest and knowledge when He gets older and starts doing proper experiments at School.
on 12 March 2010
I bought this growing crystals tree to see what it was. I was disappointed because when I read the instructons it seamed as though it was very toxic without ever telling you how much toxicity there is in it! It has 4 warnings for not getting in touch with the skin, eyes or swalling it. And it has no reference of any of the ingredients!
Furthermore the crystals are so fragile that just by passing by them they will start dropping from the paper tree. If you blow them they will scatter all over the place, with who knows results for the respiratory of the people around.
I wouldn't suggest buying this product if you have small children.
on 7 October 2011
Despite the fact that it does show something "growing", it is not as I expected. It has a paper shaped which you assemble into a tree, pour the liquid and the next day it forms a sort of layer on it which looks like snow flakes. The problem is that if you get too close to it or touch it, the whole thing collapses. Not very exciting. I don't recommend it.
on 28 December 2009
The product itself is ok but unfortunately this was sent in a jiffy bag so the thin cardboard box was squashed and battered. I could not use it as a present as I had intended and I have received no response from their customer services after raising this issue with them.
on 19 January 2015
You know what they do, and this does it. You get 5 in a pack, I imagine the novelty may wear off after 3 or so, and they aren't as big as other crystal trees I've seen.
on 27 March 2014
grandchildern were very very impressed with this product. i will be ordering more when i know when they are coming over in the summer
on 31 May 2016
Rubbish all the liquid solidfide in the packets
on 23 November 2014
great value for money
on 15 February 2010
This would make a great unique gift for an older child or young teenager. Produced by the Natural History Museum, it's sure to be educational too!