Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 December 2010
I'm difficult to please, I make no pretence to the contrary. That, perhaps is why this record took me so by surprise. At first I tried to find the track with which I was introduced to The Heavy in my own collection, convinced it was one I'd had for ages. Cheerfully wrong, I listened to the rest via Spotify, and immediately ordered the previous album, label sampler and this and haven't looked back. I can't help but throw shapes listening to this - it's good, solid, brash laddish fun in musical form.
But my favourite thing about this band is their new take on a time-honoured trait amongst albums - that being 'the slower meaningful one' - I'm sure virtually every album of a generally upbeat bent has a track that fits this description (a good example in this instance is 'Stuck'). I've come to believe that they're put there quite deliberately to ensure the listener that the band has a deeper, perhaps slightly more vulnerable side that they're just a bit reluctant to show people, hence drawing them in. As such, these tracks invariably pass relatively smoothly and unassumingly and often at the end, only briefly regulating the tone of the rest of the record. The case is a subtly but importantly different one with The Heavy - while these tracks are absolutely there, their presence is a wholly backwards one - they feel more like a necessary nuisance, before the band are permitted back into the presiding manner. The crucial point of this observation is that the focus of effort is reversed - for The Heavy, the dominant head-bangin' numbers are easy - it's no trouble for them to unload track after track of gritty, rocking, soulful bliss, while the inevitable 'slower meaningful ones' that you are given to wonder if the label insisted were included and, while enjoyed, essentially just interrupt your joyous head-bangin' - feel like they were where the effort was required. Which is fantastic! and so promising. And the punchline? THEY'RE STILL GREAT. YOU WILL LIKE THE SLOWER TRACKS JUST AS MUCH AS THE REST. Especially 'Short Change Hero', which is a little tour de force all of it's own. Perhaps needless to say, I find it devilishly hard to believe anybody could not enjoy this. STICK THIS IN YOUR EARS.
Sam
on 10 December 2014
This is a brilliant album by an extraordinarily talented band. Its eclectic mix of styles (we have heavy metal tracks followed by reggae, funk and blues) may confuse the marketing men and will almost certainly mean the band will never become huge but each track is a joy for those willing to experiment and to listen.
on 25 January 2014
Bought this as a risk as the only way I know this band is from singing the title track to a good BBC series (Strike Back) which I absolutely had to have. But it's growing on me, they definitely have a sound of their own and I hope they get to progress so we can enjoy more of them.
on 28 June 2011
Some of you will of course have heard of The Heavy way before now, but for some reason they managed to skip below my radar, cos if I'd heard them before I wouldn't have hesitated to buy right then and there! In this case, I heard 'Big Bad Wolf' on the BBC series Luther, and although that particular song isn't featured on this album, it at least introduced me to their sound and got me hunting. Eventually resulting in me buying both this and their first album Great Vengeance and Furious Fire' - which is equally as good.

For anyone who likes The Black Keys or similar, this is broadly speaking the same kind of thing, but with their own style, and a style that I like. By all means try out a few of their songs (particularly Big Bad Wolf!) before hand, but I'm hoping it does the same for you as me!
on 23 November 2011
The Heavy are a mishmash of different musical styles including Rock, Reggae & Soul and they manage to make it work to great effect. This album, for me, is one of the most exciting and original releases I have heard in quite a while.
on 15 May 2013
Kept hearing 'How you like me now' in Hollywood movies, can't believe I didn't know these guys were British. Bought this album, listened to it for three days solid and am planning to buy the back catalogue, nuff said...
on 8 December 2013
WOW excellent album I bought this because of the television programme Strikeback and it's theme tune. The theme tune is amazing. Glad I bought it what excellent find I shall be keeping my eye on this band
on 25 July 2012
After the heavy overexposure of How you like me now, by every advertising company going, most people would think The Heavy only did one song. A listen to this album will show you they were so much more.
on 7 March 2013
After hearing a few of their songs in various movies, trailers and TV shows, I gave The Heavy a listen on YouTube. I really liked what I heard, so I bought their albums, and they're all really good.
on 29 March 2014
Bought this for my wife who likes the theme tune from Strike Back. When listening to it also recognised another song on it. Like the CD as it is a bit different. Arrived quickly with no hassle.